Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sphere building help  (Read 905 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sphere building help
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:06 pm »

The idea I've been working on designing but so far unable to have results I am happy with is simple.... The Death Star.

Making circle rooms is relatively easy, making pyramids is easy but time consuming, making upside down pyramids is slightly harder just more time consuming....

My big issue is making a good looking sphere when it shows up in the different 3D visualizers out there.  I've looked at countless "lego-sphere" builds, but they normally cheat and use pieces sideways.  It always appears to me that the visualizers make squares slightly taller than they are wide which causes spheres to just not look right. 

My plan is to have the lava pumped to the top of the deathstar because it seems dwarfy, and also to have the laser cannon have flowing lava/water so that looking at it straight on you can see a  star shape as if the laser was coming straight at you.  I guess there might be potential to build a clear glass "channel" that lets the lasers go outward from the sphere with applied pressure

My end goal would have most likely an entrance that is at ground level and have the entire fort be inside the deathstar.  Potentially with multi-level hanger bays with TIE fights are such inside them. 

Anyone have any tips on making spheres that look spherical vertically not just horizontally?

Or maybe a better visualizer that might be easier to get spheres in?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Sphere building help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:14:51 pm »

You can adjust the visualizer's block height display so blocks are the same size on all sides.  That tends to fix the whole "uneven-looking sphere" problem.
Sanity is for the weak.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:50:36 pm »

Aye.  I had that problem when trying to visualize my soap tower with Visual fortress.  Change the settings so that wall height and floor thickness added together are equal to the width, and that'll solve it.  The option shows up when you click "dump from DF."

I also used this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which I found here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30589.30

Here's the tower I built, if you need to look at some spheres yourself:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7632
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »

Sort-of ninja'd by LegoLord when I was preparing this, but still useful:

The trick for spheres is the one circle over every plane will get you a good spherical shape. Just take this circle (or any of LegoLord's), use the center line as the axis for all three directions, and with every floor you'll know how wide each height has to be. To make the upper levels easy for where you have to do multiple flat blocks in a row, you might as well use floors on the level above rather than walls. Just don't forget to start at the bottom and move up - building downwards =/= possible, strictly speaking.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:40:59 pm »

I have a Python script I wrote to create plans for building spheres.  It plots out every layer, and gives a report of the total amount of material needed and the enclosed volume.  Never ended up building the spherical fortress I had planned, but I still have the code.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:30 pm »

I have a Python script I wrote to create plans for building spheres.  It plots out every layer, and gives a report of the total amount of material needed and the enclosed volume.  Never ended up building the spherical fortress I had planned, but I still have the code.

I think for now I should be ok without your code... I have some plans for a hopefully super effective obsidian farm, and am planning to make the entire Deathstar out of it so materials shouldn't be a problem. 

Also, most the problems I was having were either shown how to fix above, or the images provided gave me a "lightbulb" moment that should relive my problems....

Now the next trick will be to see how well my blueprints come together when a design a smaller "negative" sphere coming out of the main sphere to create the "laser disk" portion.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:57:38 pm »

Now the next trick will be to see how well my blueprints come together when a design a smaller "negative" sphere coming out of the main sphere to create the "laser disk" portion.

The real trouble here is scale. Making the bigger sphere large enough that the smaller one is recognizable as a spherical indentation instead of just a hole will be difficult, especially heightwise.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.