Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Where are you going?  (Read 7161 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you going?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 09:30:28 pm »

My plans for all of my life:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: I'm gettin ready to rock shit hard so look out for my name.

You are in for the sad reality that when you get to college, everyone you meet will be at this level.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »

Well... I have to say, for some people making 4.0 is a walk in the park. It is for me; I didn't study or do homework in High School and even after I wrecked my GPA barely passing senior year (all honors and AP through all of highschool) I had a better GPA than 3.4.

The difference is that you are working hard for it, and your work ethic is likely to take you places. You'll do better than indecisive people like me who don't have to try for anything and thus don't know what they really want.

I'm not one to say you won't rock the world, though it would be a safe bet to make as the odds are against you. But you can certainly make good on your ambition if you don't lose it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »

Oh heavens no Architect. I'm similair to you, and that is why I need to improve my work ethic. So far, I've not studied for a single test, spent more than 5 minutes on a single assignment, or taken anything home to do, except for what needed typed and printed out at home. I'm pulling that 3.4 in the laziest way possible, and I've already kicked the shit out of one of my finals without studying, pulling a solid 98% because I didn't feel like memorizing two dates. The 'rock shit hard' line was more joking than it came across, apparently.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:56 pm »

We're obviously not here to judge, but to share.
I wouldent go as far as to say that. I would think having my goals judged by others would give me a clearer picture of reality rather then disillusioning myself into thinking that I have a flawless ideology.

You'll do better than indecisive people like me who don't have to try for anything and thus don't know what they really want.
Except the sad thing is that he really wont, because thats just how life is. Obviously the ability to gain these merits without having to use much time or energy will get you farther then the guy who needs to exhaust himself to get to the same level no?

Oh heavens no Architect. I'm similair to you, and that is why I need to improve my work ethic. So far, I've not studied for a single test, spent more than 5 minutes on a single assignment, or taken anything home to do, except for what needed typed and printed out at home.
Then why do you need work eithic?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 09:53:27 pm »

Oh heavens no Architect. I'm similair to you, and that is why I need to improve my work ethic. So far, I've not studied for a single test, spent more than 5 minutes on a single assignment, or taken anything home to do, except for what needed typed and printed out at home. I'm pulling that 3.4 in the laziest way possible, and I've already kicked the shit out of one of my finals without studying, pulling a solid 98% because I didn't feel like memorizing two dates. The 'rock shit hard' line was more joking than it came across, apparently.

I never studied all throughout highschool. If I had taken one more AP test and gotten a 4, I'd have the highest honor you can get from them. My weighted GPA was like 4.3(weighed down by freshmen year which isn't counted by colleges fyi). Highschool is easy. I'm telling you, I earned my B+ in my calculus class. It's not easy and there is no grade inflation. 100% curve. I got a B+ in Chemistry which means I got a higher grade than a huge majority of my class. It's so dog eat dog. However, Highschool is easy because grades are so artificially inflated.

I didn't even study for my SAT's and I got a 1970... Kind of depressing. I did get 750 on my history.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 10:02:36 pm »

I look beyond your "long term" goals for what I want to do in life. Your goals aren't actually that long term, what happens if you are struck with an illness? Or if you are simply to old to continue? No, my goal is to fulfill the things I consider most important in order of importance. These are:
 1. Serving God
 2. Being happy
 3. Make others happy.
I can continue to do these until my death, and the first even has an importance outside of this life.

Ditto.
While I will probably never have everything that I "want," seeing as I am only a greedy human, I ultimately find fulfillment in these three things.

The part that means the most to me is that I can still do these three things even if my circumstances are shitty. Even if my career goes down the tubes, or I get some horrible disease, or I lose a loved one, my ultimate goal remains unchanged.

Even though I would be pleased with a good job, by marrying the love of my life, or by having lovable, well-behaved kids, I don't think that I could really ever find solace in any of those things. The three goals that Omegastick mentioned are consistient and fulfilling, and I can find true peace in that.

If it wasn't for my religion, I really think that I would've gone off the deep end by now.

All that being said, I aspire to be a pharmacist, as that seems like a good place to start helping people. However, I must admit that the good pay and job security would be attractive to just about anyone.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:18 pm »

The part that means the most to me is that I can still do these three things even if my circumstances are shitty. Even if my career goes down the tubes, or I get some horrible disease, or I lose a loved one, my ultimate goal remains unchanged.
Dont be so sure, when circumstances change people change with them.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »

Oh heavens no Architect. I'm similair to you, and that is why I need to improve my work ethic. So far, I've not studied for a single test, spent more than 5 minutes on a single assignment, or taken anything home to do, except for what needed typed and printed out at home.
Then why do you need work eithic?

Because if I had the will power to actually do shit (what I call work ethic), then I might bed able to get the 1 or 2 % I miss.

@Zironic: I understand that highschool is, for the most part, easy, but I've got a feeling college isn't.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »

cowofdoom: *chuckle* Reminds me about the true reasons people strike:
1. Nurses strike because they demand more beds for their patients to treat more people! .. But when they get additional funding to buy beds, somehow the number of beds stay the same and nurses drive better cars...
2. Teachers strike because students are not getting adequate resources for their education! ...But when they get additional funding, students get the same crappy education and teachers are a little bit happier.

Cognitive dissonance. The magnificent human ability to completely reason away all their previous ethics and morals to change to their current needs and desires while appearing perfectly fine to themselves. This is not an evil thing though, and it's not me passing judgement. You cannot avoid this. It's a fact of life. We all do this, no matter who we are and it's completely necessary. If we have the same morals when we are grandparents as when we are 23 years old, we'd all be lunatics.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 10:32:53 pm »

Morals are absolutes. They don't change. However we as humans do ignore them to better our own circumstances. We will write pages, make speeches, on the change of morals or how our circumstances limit their application.

The truth is: if you hurt someone else to better yourself, you're violating the moral code we all know to be true.
The sigs topic:

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 10:33:56 pm »

Morals are absolutes. They don't change.
No they aren't and yes they do.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 10:36:02 pm »

Morals are absolutes. They don't change.
No they aren't and yes they do.

Wishful thinking. Modern excusive bulshit. You would argue against this?

The truth is: if you hurt someone else to better yourself, you're violating the moral code we all know to be true.
The sigs topic:

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »

yes, I actually do. I dont agree with it being a moral code that we all know to be true.  Morals vary from person to person, and in different circumstances. As one can see in fact if he checks different cultures at different times.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:19 pm »

I don't agree with it being a moral code that we all know to be true.  Morals vary from person to person, and in different circumstances.

Indeed.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »

Morals>No Morals
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6