Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Where are you going?  (Read 7177 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Where are you going?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 12:43:41 pm »

All I want from life, all I want to do, is to make my friends happy. They're honestly all I got and all I really care about. If they all lead full lives, and are happy and without worry, then I have succeeded. Anyone say what you want but I don't need anything complicated, or anything big. Even if we never move out of this kinda cramped house and never fix our money problems, if we are all happy and content anyway That's all I need from life.

This has always been (perhaps even more obsessively) my only goal in life, too. But then I realized I don't have any real friends, and the people I live with are just as distant as everyone else, and I consequently broke down and went all loopy and crazy-like.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:11:06 pm »

Engineer.
Really though, I just show my face and BOOM.  People want me.

I got my report card for this trimester.  :D

Straight A's of course.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 01:17:06 pm »

I have an arcing plan that I'm just realising now. I found it a bit silly to try to make plans before I hit 18 years old. Before it was idealistic things like: Spaceman, computer game designer, doctor and shit. Then when I started Biology in highschool I knew that was my calling. My ideas expanded and I've come up with a fairly solid plan of how I want my life to go after I graduate from university.

I don't really respect people who only 'live for the moment'. Kinda a pointless way to live life IMO.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:25:11 pm by Nilocy »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »

Engineer.
Really though, I just show my face and BOOM.  People want me.

I got my report card for this trimester.  :D

Straight A's of course.
Are you in college?, because then I'm impressed.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »

Technical High School.

AKA do a trade and normal school.

So, sorta like a highschool/college I guess.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »

*Reads OP... Agrees... agrees... indeed.. agrees... Wait, didn't he say he had a calling? he can't consider that a real goal, can he?*

Basically, I find the lack of ambition here both saddening and laughable.

My calling? Alas, this margin is to narrow to contain it, but archiving the singularity and what could be approximated to your simple minds as godhood is the short term goal that is working towards it...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »

My calling? Alas, this margin is to narrow to contain it, but archiving the singularity and what could be approximated to your simple minds as godhood is the short term goal that is working towards it...
Hmm... I can't quite tell what you're trying to say here, to be honest.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:53 pm »

Blah blah blah your goal is laughable blah blah blah

Blah blah blah if your goal is attainable you're not ambitious enough blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah transhumanism blah blah blah

That's what I got out of it.
Shoes...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »

Technical High School.

Not the same, but still nice on the straight A's.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »

Yeah, all those nights working deserve some credit.   :P

I usually get 1 or 2 B's so it's cool.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

Blah blah blah your goal is laughable blah blah blah

Blah blah blah if your goal is attainable you're not ambitious enough blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah transhumanism blah blah blah

That's what I got out of it.
Ah, I see you got the general idea then.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

your simple minds

Gee thanks, Armok. You always make me feel great when you go on and on about your lofty goals of trans-humanism. I'm sure your mind is just so much, much more complex than anyone else's, to the point where we mere mortals could not begin to understand it at this point in its development.

Anyways. When I saw the thread's title, I thought this would be about what people are doing for the holidays.

And Umi, you yourself don't seem to have much of a specific goal either. "Businessman" is a pretty vague term. What field of business will you be in?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 03:23:34 pm »

Technical High School.

Congrats. I've got a deep respect for tradesmen.

Leafsnail: It's not like having straight A's are fantastic grades is an excuse for not knowing what you want to do in the future. Straight A's are a piece of cake. They also don't mean anything out there in the real world. In fact, what you'll see is that people look at successful people first, then look at their past and see "wow, this genius had straight A's in all his classes". The best part is when they look at a successful person and then look at his past and go "wow, this amazing billionaire failed everything in school, school system must be wrong!" Did you not do anything in your life so far that made you go, "wow! I can do this forever since I'm so 'effing good at it"?

Sofia: See, that's a good goal. It doesn't have to be grandoise or exuberant. It doesn't have to be detailed. But having a goal is fantastic. A set goal that you can never achieve is the best, so you will never stop working towards it and fall into pointlessness. When you have a "what", the "how" follows easily. Good on you.

Martian: You might want to consider neuroscience. It's practically the same field, except neurology lets you prescribe medicine and essentially turns you into a psychiatrist instead of just a normal psychologist (who inevitably becomes known as a counselor). You get far more interesting cases and much higher pay though it does take a lot more work. Furthermore, there are a lot, lot more psychologists than there are psychiatrists, even to the point where it has become joke fodder for sitcoms. Food for thought.

Zironic: I'm perfectly fine, thank you.

Sean: It may sound vain and silly to you guys but I'm just so damn good at generating money from unbelievable sources and arbitrage opportunities. Yeah, I'm 100% sure. No doubt whatsoever. I made my first 10k back in Jr. High selling Pokemon cards. FAKE Pokemon cards. My current job is a Teacher Assistant making a pathetic sum and I have zero investments but I still generate a substantial income from all these externalities. I'm a landlord with 5 tenants in a large house and I live without mortgage and rent free and I still haven't graduated from my Finance degree. Making money is like breathing to me. There are geniuses in this world who can solve advanced mathemathical equations in a split second. I can solve advanced NPV > 0 projects in a split second. I really doubt if my purpose isn't to rip off everyone's money.

It's not that I'm materialistic, far from it as the only material things I like are food and games, or really really need to be rich. I'm just good at it. I couldn't care less if I lost it all tomorrow. It's part of the charm. It's fun for me. I love it. The chase of making money. That's how I know it's what I'll do for life.

Barbarossa: What kind of post high school education uses high school credits to grant you a degree?

Wiles: That's a goal too. To do nothing. It's perfectly fine as well. It's quite honourable as well, to transform into a spectator of the world.

Zai: To the best of my knowledge, I can only classify myself as a businessman. I don't do investments. I may do finance as my major but I totally don't believe in the stock market or any derivatives or currency exchange. I don't have a specific field because I've made money doing fricking everything. I can make money doing anything. It's not like I have a specific draw towards a certain field. I don't work for anyone. I just create income doing whatever works at the moment. It can be buying over an entire apartment just to sell everything inside for profit. It can be acting as an agent between Chinese students and professional proofreaders and collecting a commission on every paper proofread. It could be getting a job in a bakery to learn how to make fancy cakes before quitting in 3 weeks and selling my own damn cakes at cheaper. It could be trading on Intrade prediction markets and making $40 000 on a short sale that the US will bomb Iran by December 2009. What do you call what I do?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 03:26:34 pm »

Leafsnail: It's not like having straight A's are fantastic grades is an excuse for not knowing what you want to do in the future. Straight A's are a piece of cake. They also don't mean anything out there in the real world. In fact, what you'll see is that people look at successful people first, then look at their past and see "wow, this genius had straight A's in all his classes". The best part is when they look at a successful person and then look at his past and go "wow, this amazing billionaire failed everything in school, school system must be wrong!" Did you not do anything in your life so far that made you go, "wow! I can do this forever since I'm so 'effing good at it"?
Depends on what you mean by the "real world", I guess.  I wouldn't be able to get into the college I want to go to without these grades, which will significantly affect my prospects in the future.  It's not like everyone can or even wants to be a huge businessman.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 03:29:38 pm »

But you don't even know what you want to do in college though, do you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6