Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone for a challenge? Volcano fortress  (Read 2940 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone for a challenge? Volcano fortress
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:17 am »

I have a crazy idea, which I just can't bring the patience to do. So I entrust you all with my dreams and hopes!
At least this one.

The premise is simple: Build a fortress inside a working volcano. No capping allowed.

Bonus points for running in water for drinking & waterfall purposes, through the magma.
Bonus points for having a fully functional obsidian farm.
Extra bonus points for designing multiple and complex ways to get rid of sieges take out garbage.

If you can do all this, I'll do my first donation ever, of $10 to the game. I'm poor.
Bring it!

Also, feel free to keep a journal going. This is a setup for great Fun.

EDIT: Natural volcano only. No dwarf-made volcano for you.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:57:18 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone for a challenge? Volcano fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:48:22 am »

I'm sure its already been done a dozen or so times, prepare to be donating that 10$
Orr... are you going to donate 10 for each person who does this and shows proof?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:50:03 am »

This has already been done?
Well then, for the first one to be done from now on.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:24:16 am »

People have built all sorts of things in magma pipes at this point. We were actually discussing it again in the "Should I build my fort in a magma pipe or bottomless pit?" thread - it's just really not that difficult.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:07:22 pm »

The premise is simple: Build a working volcano inside a fortress inside a working volcano. No capping allowed.

That's a much more challenging task, in that I'm fairly certain it hasn't been done. Yet, anyway.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:38 pm »

Easy enough to do. All it takes is one iron pump hooked up to a windmill on the second to last z-level to drain all the magma into a bottomless pit. I'm playing a fortress as I type this waiting for the pipe to drain so I can get to work carving out the first floor and bring all my supplies into the pit.