Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Forges aren't working...  (Read 632 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Magma Forges aren't working...
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:34:14 pm »

ok, i don't know what else to do. My forges simply won't complete any tasks. I don't get a "job cancelled" notice, they simply just erase the task before it gets started. I've made sure the smiths can reach them, the material they're made from is not forbidden, the materials to make the stuff are not forbidden, and are reachable. they Just won't make anything!!! My fort needs these things to work metal so it can thrive, forging masterpiece aluminum for trade, and masterpiece weapons for war, and masterpiece glass to make stuff look nice, so if anyone knows whats gone wrong, please help
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Forges aren't working...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:37:00 pm »

Check your job cancellation settings in the orders menu. Make sure you've got it set to 'some' or whatever setting you prefer.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:39:17 pm »

It's set to "no job Cancellations."
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:24 pm »

Then you won't get any announcements about why your dwarves are canceling their labors.

Set it to 'some'. It's the most useful while being the least annoying.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:44 pm »

Make sure the materials used to make your magma forge have not been forbidden, with (t).
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »

well, the glass ones are solved. didn't realize i needed sand as well as the raw green glass. well, either that or only sand. still don't know whats up with the forges.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:42:12 pm »

Also make sure that the forges have and are keeping at least a 4/7 deep magma pool under it.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:07:00 am »

Is there a hole in the floor under the magma forges? You'll need to channel out one of the 8 edge tiles under the workshop. Also make sure there's 4/7 or greater magma consistently under the forge. If it's 3/7 to 4/7 magma, it will cycle constantly and remove all it's tasks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 01:55:07 am »

yes, they all have 7/7 magma under them. apparently, my stock keeper is falling behimd, since my smiths say i have no aluminum, despite the stocks screen saying i have 3 bars of it

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 02:13:37 am »

yes, they all have 7/7 magma under them. apparently, my stock keeper is falling behimd, since my smiths say i have no aluminum, despite the stocks screen saying i have 3 bars of it
They might be in use someplace already. If there are traders around, they might be carrying them, in which case they'd show up on the stocks screen but be unusuable, you might have used them to build something, or they might simply be being hauled at the moment. Any pre-existing task set to use something forbids anything else from taking it, even if it is something that obviously won't use it up like hauling it to a stockpile.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!