Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 4e Campaign: A Campaign of 4e D&D  (Read 32410 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
D&D 4e Campaign: A Campaign of 4e D&D
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »

So, I finally got around to giving 4e Dungeons and Dragons a chance.  I was horrified when I read it.  Not because it was bad, no.  Horrified because it was good.  People are always saying they turned it into WoW, or Diablo, but looking at it, all they did was streamline the game and make it so non-casters are still viable past level 10.  It's easier to make interesting encounters, and while I miss the paragraphs and paragraphs of fluff that came with each monster in 3e, they used that space to add much more variety with each monster, and tactics it would use.

That's why I decided to try a 4e campaign.  Now, I know I don't have the best track record for things like this, but I've DMed D&D campaigns before, and I know from experience that I can make them last.  DF-style forum game aside, since it was forum-roleplay, and therefore very slow, and the whole DF thing was more of a hindrance than I expected it to be.  I'm confident that I can pull this off, and this doesn't mean the Rogue Trader campaign is dead.  It's just on the backburner, and there's still Aqizzar's campaign, so don't fret.

Is anyone interested?  I'm willing to take on 5 characters, maybe 4, maybe 6, but 5 is what I'm shooting for.    You can use the PHBs 1 and 2, I may go out on a limb and get 3, if there is one, I'm not sure, maybe even 4 if that exists, but for now stick with 1 and 2.  Remember that the party works best if each role is represented, so try to keep that in mind when making your character.  We'll probably use Gametable or Maptool if I can get that to work.  FantasyGrounds would be even better, but that costs money and I don't know how many people have it, and as far as I know there's no free 4e model, so that probably won't happen.

As for character creation, I'm going to let you use your judgment on what to be, but keep in mind that it's going to be a pretty normal heroic fantasy setting, and evil characters may be out of place.  Chaotic Stupid or Stupid Evil characters will not be tolerated.  If you start pulling a "herpaderp i burn down the orphanage" without quality justification for your character's actions, I will be very displeased.  Being evil is not justification in itself.  If you really want to play an evil character, and roleplay it well, I'll let you do it.
EDIT:  Lawful stupid and stupid good will receive a bit more tolerance (It's easier to justify killing a captured enemy before he can speak his lies, despite what the other characters think, than it is to kill the peasant next to you, despite what the nearby guard captain thinks) but if it becomes disruptive, the above displeasure will happen.

World information will start materializing if people show interest, I'm going to be coming up with it on my own, but don't expect any hugely original stuff.  I won't be taking stuff whole-cloth, but I'm not going to revolutionize the genre either.

STRIKE THE DEATH OF VANCIAN MAGIC!

World Information:

Spoiler: Cosmology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Players:

Cthulhu(DM) GMT-5

Neruz
Spoiler: Nerooz (click to show/hide)

CJ1145 GMT-5
Spoiler: CJ1145 (click to show/hide)

Akigagak GMT-0
Spoiler: Akigagak (click to show/hide)

RAM GMT+10
Spoiler: RAM (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen GMT+4
Spoiler: Sean (click to show/hide)

Waiting List:
Rooster
Cerej
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:00:24 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 4e Campaign, Early Discussion and Signups
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »

Timezones plz?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »

I would be willing to sign up for this.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »

If you can give me a good place for a character generator, a rules site, and time zones I will be all over this.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »

If it goes ahead, I'm in.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:50:04 am »

Never played 4e, don;t have the books, never read the books, but I would like to give it a shot. I could play a Lawful Evil cleric trying to establish my church without anyone noticing...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:39:52 am »

They're similar enough, but it'd be best if you at least knew some of the rules.

I'm GMT-5

Also there is no lawful evil anymore.  Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil, Chaotic Evil are the alignments.  It's not like alignments mattered in the first place, though.

And remember, if you're playing an evil character you'd better be able to do it well.

As for character generators, I don't know.  I guess we can do group character generation in GameTable if you guys want.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:  It looks like there are quickstart rules on the WotC website.  Those will probably give you enough information to get started.

There's also a character builder in there, but since 4e is a lot different from 3e, you should probably learn how it works a bit before you make a character.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:15:46 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:26:13 am »

Hmm. The idea of a Warlord Dragonborn who seeks to reclaim his father's lost throne as king would be a fun roleplay for me. However, it hinges on one thing and one thing only: Is the Leadership feat or its equivalent still present in this game?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:31:00 am »

No.  A lot of that stuff is abstracted out, which is part of what got us 3aboos so riled up.  There are about 15 skills in the game.  Stuff like Open Lock/Disable Device and the like have been combined into Thievery.  Climb, Jump, Swim, and such are Athletics.  There are no more profession skills, but let's be honest.  You never used them, and it works just as well to write on your character sheet that you used to be a rancher.
Shoes...

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 10:37:28 am »

I'm pretty sure I'm -4, so I should be able to make it. Of course that depends when we're playing. I'm avaliable at 5:30 your time on weekdays, and on Friday and Sunday I'm usually unavaliable. Saturday is perfect though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:39:31 am »

Saturday will probably be the day, unless everyone can make it on some weekdays too.

Also, something I forgot to mention before.  Just because there is no leadership feat doesn't mean you can't have followers.  There just aren't any concrete rules about it anymore.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:28 am »

I'm GMT +4. Never played a serious game of DnD, and never did good in any that I did play. (Most notable achievement - getting splattered by a troll-thrown log).

I have the 4e books somewhere, I think, but didn't quite read much of them. Would you accept a newbie into yer ranks?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:47:31 am »

I think I can make it next Saturday. Neruz' campaign plays Fridays and Sundays now, so unless an emergency pops up (which it might; my grandpa had a heart attack, and is recovering in the hospital,) I'll be there. Also, I used that 4e character builder on the WotC site to make a Dragonborn Warlord. I guess I'll try to copy the info over to Mythweavers.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 10:50:20 am »

I'm GMT +4. Never played a serious game of DnD, and never did good in any that I did play. (Most notable achievement - getting splattered by a troll-thrown log).

I have the 4e books somewhere, I think, but didn't quite read much of them. Would you accept a newbie into yer ranks?

It looks like a lot of the people are new, so yeah, you're good.  Time zone?
Shoes...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 11:33:08 am »

He said +4.

GMT-0 here. I'll brush up on the rules soon. I break up this Tuesday, and as I'm something of a loner who prefers the night, I should be able to make any time you set.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32