Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: D&D 4e Campaign: A Campaign of 4e D&D  (Read 32430 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 4e Campaign, First Session Probably Soon
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2009, 09:30:57 pm »

So what time works best for everyone?
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2009, 12:52:09 am »

I can likely handle a session that starts from 10 to 12, AM or PM. That's presuming my assumption of average session length of four hours is correct. This means 6:00 to 8:00, and 18:00 to 20:00 GMT. I can be available anytime inbetween, especially as we near the holidays, but it's all fairly inconclusive at this point.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:13 am »

My personal experience shows that an average 4e session will be about 2 - 4 encounters and take about 3 - 4 hours, 4e averages about an hour per encounter. This time includes the time spent wandering around poking walls as well as the time actually fighting enemies.

On the internet, it tends to be longer, more like an hour and a half per encounter. And the time increases again in proportion to the newbiness of the players\DM.

So i wouldn't be surprised to find that a 4 - 5 hour session, at the start, covers little more than one encounter and a bit of roleplay.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2009, 11:35:15 am »

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU-

I had this whole story set up for the first few adventures, I thought it might have been halfway decent, but I just realized it has a hilariously huge hole in the plot.  Back to the +2 Board of Drawing.

That brings up a good point.  What kind of game do you guys want this to be?  Do you want something heavy on plot, or just bash in the door and kill the monsters stuff?  Half and half?
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2009, 11:38:15 am »

Put some plot epoxy on the hole and she'll be good as new.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2009, 12:21:41 pm »

I"ll figure something out.

Also, I  noticed something odd.  They got rid of Yugoloths!  They're all Demons now.  What's with that?  Giant moving city with legs was awesome, but they ruined it.

Also also, Barlgura is a horrible and awkward name.  I'm officially changing it to Bargurlra, which is cooler and more demonic sounding, and is more balanced.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »

Baal'Rogga? :P

As for plot, I can live with something like Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force - brief plot-heavy segments interspersed with wide stretches of undisturbed skullbashing.

As for the plot hole... How large must it be to require rewriting the plot? Is it something an inconveniently placed gelatinous cube can't fix?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:23:58 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:59 pm »

It's some kind of minor demon.  The name feels front-heavy though.  You've got that gnarled and difficult to pronounce "Barlg" and then "Gura", which is short and doesn't feel weighty enough.  I can't describe it, but the word feels unbalanced.  Bargurlra  doesn't have that problem.

Turns out it's some kind of demon from Semitic mythology, supposed to be Bar-lgura.  That sounds much better than Barlgura.

The plot hole is kind of subtle, you may not catch it, but it falls into the "Why wouldn't they just..." category of retarded character actions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:50:15 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2009, 06:35:38 pm »

Is there anyone who can definitely host?

If we have trouble finding someone who can, there's a Vassal D&D mod, but it's made for the minis game and it'll be clunkier.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »

According to the guy who made the monster, it's pronounced "Barl-Gura"

And i can definitely host; i've been hosting for ages now :P

And yeah; Demons and Devils are gone, they're all Demons now, the concept that some demons are mindless machines of destruction and some are the more insidious intelligent evil is still there, but it's now limited to the various Demon Lords (some lords are all "LETS BLOW SHIT UP" others are all "LETS TAKE SHIT OVER'), rather than arbitrary species restrictions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:54:37 pm by Neruz »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2009, 08:54:32 pm »

Alright then, we're good.

Are you sure?  The Monster Manual still has Demons and Devils.

And anyway, this is my campaign, not WotC's.  Screw the Astral Sea.  I'm sticking with the normal cosmology, with some minor changes.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:56:13 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2009, 08:55:43 pm »

In general there's alot less 'species restriction' in 4e than in 3.5. Most monsters are Unaligned, or 'Evil' because their common culture is kinda nasty, rather than because they are inherantly mindless engines of pain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2009, 08:58:09 pm »

I did notice that it seemed like there weren't any good monsters anymore.  Even angels are unaligned, but I guess that makes sense.  It's not like the evil gods don't get servants.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2009, 09:08:10 pm »

Good monsters don't go into the Monster Manual because the Monster Manual is a book of creatures that the PC's will be fighting, since 4e doesn't yet have WotC support for evil characters, the writers feel that putting good creatures into the Monster Manual would be a waste of space. As one put it "It's great reading a book about Unicorns that are so pure that they heal the land and have all these neat powers, but you're never going to use that monster, are you? Most of the Good monsters in the old Monster Manuals never really saw much use outside of Evil campaigns, so we felt there wasn't much point in statting out creatures the PCs would never fight."

He then added that we can expect a "Good Monster Manual" at some point in the future once WotC starts releasing stuff for Evil campaigns.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2009, 09:13:13 pm »

That's a good point.  I don't think I ever put a chromatic dragon or llamassu in any of my games.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32