Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)  (Read 15314 times)

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 06:15:59 pm »

*Facepalm*

I find it funny that in me even making effort to show my utter amazement that I am, in fact, a part of the problem I find so funny. Never ending circle of silliness.

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here everyday...

I blame the popularity of DF in places like 4chan's /tg/ for creating the hive of scum and villany that amazes you so.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 06:20:06 pm »

Have you seen the Bible? If that was written after the discovery of the West Indies then I'm the President of Spain.

Of course, merely existing doesn't mean that it was the primary indication of culture. On the other hand, it does show the author's opinion of the subject, which would give you a bit of insight into the cultural status of the time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:23:02 pm by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:26 pm »

Anyone an expert of Japanese history around here? I recall there was a point in time where homosexuality was the elegant and royal thing to take part in.

I'm by no means an expert on this, Japan not being a region whose history I study much at all, despite my viewing Okehazama as one of the most inspiring battles in history (better than Thermopylae in my opinion); but I can at least tell you that this particular aspect of Japanese culture was pederastic in nature. It involved an older man teaching the young boy about... life. Ahem.

As I said earlier, pederasty was supported to a startling extent in many diverse and separate traditional cultures from ancient Greece to the Arabs to, as you point out, the Japanese. Grown men retaining their love of being sodomized was much less so.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2009, 06:41:46 pm »

The teachings of shudo, "The Way of the Young", entered the literary tradition and can be found in such as works as Hagakure (葉隠), "Hidden by Leaves", and other samurai manuals. Shudo, in its pedagogic, martial, and aristocratic aspects, is closely analogous to the ancient Greek tradition of pederasty.

The practice was held in high esteem, and was encouraged, especially within the samurai class. It was considered beneficial for the youth, teaching him virtue, honesty and the appreciation of beauty. Its value was contrasted with the love of women, which was blamed for feminizing men.

That's a quick wikipedia search. Hmm. To derail this thread further, does sex with women feminize men? Some guys do become pretty damned whipped. Discuss.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »

The teachings of shudo, "The Way of the Young", entered the literary tradition and can be found in such as works as Hagakure (葉隠), "Hidden by Leaves", and other samurai manuals. Shudo, in its pedagogic, martial, and aristocratic aspects, is closely analogous to the ancient Greek tradition of pederasty.

The practice was held in high esteem, and was encouraged, especially within the samurai class. It was considered beneficial for the youth, teaching him virtue, honesty and the appreciation of beauty. Its value was contrasted with the love of women, which was blamed for feminizing men.

That's a quick wikipedia search. Hmm. To derail this thread further, does sex with women feminize men? Some guys do become pretty damned whipped. Discuss.

Answer: Sometimes. Discussion ended.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:16 pm »

Ooo! How gruff and manly of you to respond like that, Proactinium! If only I were a soft young boy...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »

To Roxorious: It's surprising every time you encounter someone with an actual education and knowledge of history on the internet. Nice to meet you.

On the note of sodomized young men in history generally not choosing to continue the lifestyle: Speaking to homosexuals, I've found that many of them have deep psychological problems. Problems with acceptance, father figures, love, intimacy, stability, the list goes on. Now I've met a lot of homosexuals, as my father is an antique dealer. I've met a lot of people in general, and many people have these problems. But there is a very high concentration of these problems in the homosexual community, and I'm afraid to say that a lot of vulnerable young men are drawn into it when these flaws and personal problems are exploited. Even today, it's difficult to view homosexuality as a positive thing.

Now before I get jumped on, you have to realize that I like a lot of homosexuals. The people I'm referring to are nice people, good friends. Some of them did better by my parents in needy times than some "Christian" friends, and by extension I owe them a lot. But homosexuality is still generally a blight on the people whose lives are consumed by it. It's a psychological disease. I accept the people, I love the people, but I don't have to love the disease. I refuse to. And any time I can help someone escape it if they are suffering from their involvement in it, I will. But as more than a disconnected observer and idealist, I can't and will not accept it as normal, healthy, or desirable in society.

I'd rather Dwarf Fortress didn't go there, nor involve other such things. It's fine as a somewhat ideal society, despite the potential for barbarity that is largely caused by 1) mortal enemies that wish your dwarves dead, 2) unpolished and buggy game mechanics, and 3) the necessity of facing things head-on that we normally ignore, such as raising animals for food.

If you want to talk about equal rights, that's fine. But you have to see everything for exactly what it is, not whatever each person may want to make it. For instance: Gay priests. You don't want an alcoholic priest? A compulsive thief? A compulsive liar? It is irresponsible to place someone in a position of mentorship and ministry/outreach if they have problems that directly conflict with those responsibilities. That said, I don't have a problem at all with a gay politician. If it's someone I trust to keep the people's best interests in view, and deal with social issues, then I'll vote for them. For another example: marriage has a specific definition, and it exists because it is the normal healthy condition for a pair of humans of the opposite sex: you mate for life. If you disagree, fine. But any other relationship falls outside of the definition of marriage, and thus the two are mutually exclusive. You can give full state rights to a pair of homosexual individuals, and I don't have any problem with it. But even if you call it marriage, that doesn't make it marriage. It will always be outside of the definition of what a marriage is.

I think if people can see things in this logical manner, the arguments become invalid. There's no argument about whether a gay priest is desirable. You don't place someone who is known to have deep personal problems that conflict with the morality of what you're asking them to do in that position. If you have a sexual temptation for women other than your wife, you don't take a position counseling women. If you have an alcohol problem, you don't become a bar tender. If you have any condition that interferes with your ability to perform your duty with conviction, you don't take on that responsibility.

There's no such thing as the argument for gay marriage, because no matter what you may do or say, marriage has a specific definition and no union of members of the same sex will ever be marriage. You can't ask for gay marriage, because gay marriage can't exist. It wouldn't be marriage, it is something else. And any arrangement which involves swearing marriage, union for the rest of your lives, and involves a policy for going back on that word, is not a marriage either. You've sworn yourself to one person for life, and no matter how many others you may enter the same arrangement with, you still have that fealty to your own word. You're always sworn to that first person, or marriage has no meaning.

All the wishful thinking in the world won't make reality change. That is the flaw of our generation. Face things head-on, take responsibility for reality. That's what life is, and I do my fair share of avoiding reality by killing time lurking around on this forum, playing video games, etc. But as long as I'm here I might as well lay things out for the rest of you killing time here.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2009, 07:05:50 pm »

I think whether you become "whipped" depends on how well developed your sense of self is before you enter a relationship, along with whether the woman you go with is domineering or builds you up to more than you were. Someone has to be the "man" of the relationship, and if a guy doesn't have the balls for it the woman will generally step up and take care of business.

Mostly, men in our time aren't much to speak of. They're easy.
The sigs topic:

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12:35 pm »

Hey guys, having sex with little boys is wrong.

Lets just leave it at that ok?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:40 pm »

This thread has gone strange places since last night (USA eastern time).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »

Hey guys, having sex with little boys is wrong.

Lets just leave it at that ok?

Is that what they were talking about? I don't think that's what they were talking about, but I don't want to go back and find out. If it is, yeah, this thread is gone and there's no way anyone can stop that.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2009, 07:20:00 pm »

They were talking about sexual abuse as a form of mentorship in ancient times, yes.
The sigs topic:

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2009, 07:21:16 pm »

But homosexuality is still generally a blight on the people whose lives are consumed by it. It's a psychological disease. I accept the people, I love the people, but I don't have to love the disease.

In what fashion does it serve as a blight or a disease? While I might agree that in some cases be CAUSED by trauma or damage, it does not appear to me to have any inherently harmful effects in the way stealing or alcoholism would.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2009, 07:21:46 pm »

Annnd a single post on the gameplay slightly involving the world gay, and suddenly it turns into a cesspit of pseudo-intellectualist discussions regarding gay marriage, thaz grreat.

It is rather fun to see conservatives go insane and jump at the issue with bared fangs and claws, though, so I'll be ironic and jump in.

Thinking homosexualism is a disease and is somehow disastrous to society, claiming it is an unrealistic view of it, is pretty darn ironic by itself. Homosexualism has existed far longer then any religion, and is probably older then society itself. Sociology shows us that society today is practically totally seperated from what people regard as "the natural way". In fact, society is know to change completely from time to time, social changes occur usualy when a minority wants something, and starts talking and fighting for it.
The western society as we know it is completely changing, ask any sociologist or even a economist, the world has changed, and so is society. Homosexualism is now becoming a part of it much like women's rights and black people. It is only natural that social changes meet strong resistance, but as generations go by, things change, values change, and laws must change to adapt to values, laws do not exist to control society, they exist to protect and serve it, if a law doesn't fit society, it must change, the concept of what is marriage is changing dramaticaly, and it will not stop untill a consensus is reached.

Saying homosexualism and gay marriage as being part of society is an unrealistic view is ironic because the actual reality is that it will inevitably become part of it in a near future. Society is not completely bound by nature, if at all.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:24:14 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2009, 07:22:00 pm »

Oh, as in historically? Well, as long as it's not a discussion about why underage sex should be legal or if it's right (in this day and age), you should be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9