Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)  (Read 15343 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 03:13:31 pm »

If that was the case then we need another confirmation:
 We need to see thoughts pages for both people.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2009, 03:44:23 pm »

hmm. I would really like for dwarves to be more varied in their preferences. Bi, gay and swinging dwarves would all be welcome in my forts, even more so than those boring hetero dwarves :D

But if any dwarf is caught cheating, Armok help them...

P.S. Bring on the strumpets!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure the OP just misread the title "Duke Consort" for Duke's Consort."

Otherwise, homosexuality is easily achieved via Dwarf Companion, because if you change the gender of a dwarf, he/she retains his/her original sexual preferences.

Yeah, we still haven't received confirmation that they're both male.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure the OP just misread the title "Duke Consort" for Duke's Consort."

Otherwise, homosexuality is easily achieved via Dwarf Companion, because if you change the gender of a dwarf, he/she retains his/her original sexual preferences.

Yeah, we still haven't received confirmation that they're both male.

We did recieve confirmation that neither the Duke nor his Consort actually know eachother

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 04:35:53 pm »

This is a title definition problem, isn't it? "Duke Consort" doesn't mean "Consort to the Duke", it means "Duke who is a Consort to the reigning Duchess". More commonly seen as Queen Consort.

I think how this happens in-game is that a reigning Duchess shows up with her Duke Consort, then she's killed or otherwise disposed of, and the replacement noble that shows up happens to be male. So unless the relationship gets checked and it actually lists two male dwarves as being married, I'm betting that this is what happened.
'Course, I haven't actually had a large enough fort to attract nobles in a long time, so I could be entirely wrong O_0

Off-topic, it would be nice to see dwarven relationships become more complicated than their current family/friend/grudge trifecta. Divorces, vendettas, life companions, estranged friends and so forth.

"Urist McChild has been ecstatic lately. His parents got divorced recently. He has learned the futility of attempting to establish meaningful relationships recently. He ate in a legendary dining room lately."
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2009, 04:39:00 pm »

Tinypic is being a pain so the screenshot will have to wait a bit. The relationship screen says "Husband." Also the Dwarf's personal info page says "married to."

Still, I would like a gender confirmation. These are dwarves. Such a detail is easy to miss.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:14 pm »

I see nothing in your post that coincides with this topic. It's not a plant, is not discolored, wilting or dying (if it were a plant, which it isn't), is not anything like a disease,
How is this a blight?

I think it's obvious that Org called this thread a blight because he associates homosexuality with mental disease. I for one am disappointed in his outmoded beliefs.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »

I think it's obvious that Org called this thread a blight because he associates homosexuality with mental disease. I for one am disappointed in his outmoded beliefs.

*Facepalm*

I find it funny that in me even making effort to show my utter amazement that I am, in fact, a part of the problem I find so funny. Never ending circle of silliness.

Back on the topic... it's not like one could tell a male dwarf from a female dwarf at first sight.... On account of the beards and all.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2009, 05:04:18 pm »

"Urist McChild has been ecstatic lately. His parents got divorced recently. He has learned the futility of attempting to establish meaningful relationships recently. He ate in a legendary dining room lately."

Will shortly be sig'd.

Back on the topic... it's not like one could tell a male dwarf from a female dwarf at first sight.... On account of the beards and all.

Which could lead to some hilarious sitcom-esque misunderstandings.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2009, 05:14:01 pm »

Hmmm. Yes, the simplest solution to this is to check the sex of the noble in question.

It is entirely possible that the actual leader is a duchess. The Duke Consort is always male, just as the Duchess Consort is always female.

A screenshot showing both a Duke and a Duke Consort would confirm that it actually is off; but at this point, yeah, going to have to say "pics or it didn't happen".
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2009, 05:16:20 pm »

I see nothing in your post that coincides with this topic. It's not a plant, is not discolored, wilting or dying (if it were a plant, which it isn't), is not anything like a disease,
How is this a blight?
Indeed, in now way could his remarks be associated with the thread itself and the general direction things like this tend to go independent of the topic. Why, that thought would just be silly! We must chide Org for his general crudeness at displaying his opinion!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »

I don't mean intolerant 'to' Islam. I mean intolerance in general, and specifically religiously - as in, 700-1300 AD (or so, though prior to that I'm a bit fuzzy) Muslims were not intolerant, at least about most things. They were significantly friendlier than the Catholic church, at least.

And again, Europe was not a big deal prior to the Western world being discovered. Christianity (and I'll include the bible in this) was not really a big deal outside of its tiny sphere of influence - again, Europe was not a power or even some sort of sub-power in the old world, which consists of basically everything pre-1400s. My point is that Christianity didn't really have much strength compared to Islam, which was waaay more widespread and influential, and to the point - tolerant of others.

I don't really feel like debating this more; I was just trying to make a point that homosexuality was totally cool back in the day and that the modern views that 'gays r bad' hasn't always been the standard way of thinking. That being said, I'd really like to push the discussion back to gay dwarves, which I don't see any problem with in Toady's fantasy setting.

Alright, this is a major derail. I didn't start it, but once I see a wishful statement like this I can't let it slide. It's simply too absurd.

Well... to some degree, history is obscure. But I don't think you can genuinely argue that Islam has been a tollerant religion at any point in history. It begin its spread by conquest and murder, literally by placing heads on chopping blocks and demanding conversions. And it has continued with a history of intollerance since that time. The truth is that the doctrine of Islam simply dictates intollerance for other religions and cultures. That isn't to say that everyone who is a Muslim is intollerant; in general people just don't feel or think that way. But the religion itself is undoubtedly a violent and intollerant one.

We've seen a very different trend from Christianity over time. We've seen centralized power and politics, most notably in the Roman Catholic Church, polute a doctrine of love and outreach for its own purposes. There's a history of violence and evil done in the name of Christianity, but the religion and its doctrines don't support those actions. It's all fine and dandy to talk about "nice Muslims" and "evil Christians", but the truth is that a religion isn't whatever its followers want it to be nor does it change for their personal preferences. Once it does change in such a way, it's no longer itself, and to argue that Christianity espouses hatred of homosexuals or that Islam espouses equal treatment of women will never be true. What I am saying is that if you support actions that are against your claimed religion's doctrines, then you have no right to claim that religion.

Someone can claim to be a tollerant Muslim or a Christian bigot, but they're simply hypocrites. Both words are oxymorons. There are other religions in the world (notably Budhism) which espouse love and tollerance, but Islam just isn't one of them.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 06:02:58 pm »

Actually, prior to the mid-1300s or so, the old world was mostly comprised of dar al-Islam - more or less, everywhere except Europe was not completely Islamic but Islamic to one degree or another, to the point where one traveller (Ibn Batttta) was able to travel throughout Asia, India, parts of the Mediterranean, and Africa without experiencing any real culture shock or not being in a predominantly Islamic area. And this was back when Islam was exercising tolerance towards other religions, before the Safavids started getting aggressive towards the Ottomans about what branch of Islam was better.

Hmm. I suggest you study what was happening in India under the Moghul Empire. It wasn't tolerant.

no, intolerance isn't necessarily a modern concept, but it wasn't dominantly practiced until the last five-ish centuries, which isn't that long if you think about it. When I mentioned that homophobia and disapproval of homosexuality was a recent concept, I meant recent like new-world recent. Back around the Greek/Spartan/(probably Roman, but haven't formally studied them) eras, it was way cool.

Have you read the Roman author Juvenalis at all? He's filled with fun racial hatred at the Syrians and Greeks. Rome was actually quite intolerant at various points in its history, beginning with patricians and plebeians in early Rome--they couldn't even intermarry at first! What you read in modern history books will necessarily be geared to appealing toward modern sensibilities, assuring us that every time except now was a utopia practicing our unrealized modern ideals. When you begin reading primary sources, though, you will begin your true education.

As for homosexuality in Greece, it was not the egalitarian homosexuality that you know today, where two big hairy men have sweaty man-love with each other, but something rather more like pederasty, involving typically a smooth young boy, the eromenos, and the sweaty hairy older man, the erastes. Also, the tone of much Roman writing makes clear that homosexuality was not viewed favorably. The histories of Dio Cassus vividly depict the emperor Elagabulus as a raging queen, and the tone makes clear that it is not praise. I dare you to read the Life of Elagabulus and then tell me that Dio Cassius meant his lurid account of Elagabulus as praise. At one point, Dio describes "he kissed him in a place where it is indecent even to mention." That's not the sound of acceptance, but a scandalous accusation appealing to the prudery of the average Roman.

After reading many historical writings not neatly packaged for consumption in secondary sources, it is my conclusion that homosexuality, in the egalitarian sense of similar-aged men rather than the pederastic sense of man on boy, has never been more accepted than it is today. Pederasty on the other hand has rarely, if ever, been less accepted. Ironic, no?

Sorry for sounding like I'm giving a lecture, but I wrote essays on the change from the tolerant old world to the intolerant new world AND the unlikely rise of Europe the backwater region to power recently, so the material's still fresh in my mind. Akigakak, if you really require evidence, I could provide some, but we're already pretty far off topic as-is.

I'm sure you got good grades. Teachers, even university professors, are rarely true scholars.

The only worrying aspect of your post, and the thinking that it exposes, is the belief that ancient times were a paradise or that mankind has ever been angelic and peaceable. You speak of Romans, but Caesar slaughtered two million gauls in his vast "tolerance" of them. Women and children at sword's point. You speak of peacefully travelling in India as a medieval Muslim, but vast numbers of Hindus were persecuted. A rigid caste system between the muslim Arab descendants of the invaders (the Ashraf) and the inferior muslim converts from hinduism (the Ajlaf) developed, to say nothing of the Hindus who did not convert. 80 million may have  died. Of course, the Hindus had their own intolerant caste system internally among themselves before conquest. See any pattern yet?

No age is freer of war and intolerance than now. Mankind has always been a roiling crowd of people harming each other and competing for resources. Modern society suppresses this somewhat, but it will boil forth eventually, as it always does. You can write papers to the contrary, but human nature won't change at the typing of a few words. It has been sordid and will continue to be.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 06:04:14 pm »

How would you be able to tell if two dwarves were gay? With the beards, you can't tell the women apart anyway. ;)

... I did not mean to rhyme. Oops.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2009, 06:12:33 pm »

Anyone an expert of Japanese history around here? I recall there was a point in time where homosexuality was the elegant and royal thing to take part in.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9