Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)  (Read 15328 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a gay dwarf? (honestly homosexual relationship in game)
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 12:32:00 pm »

Well the problem is that intollerance is a lot more of a modern concept.

Hah. Really?

I must be wrong on nearly a thousand years of history.

Unfortunately yeah

Though I am speaking from a connotative point of view. None of this wimpy "Ohh they should be intollerant".

Intollerant!?! What the heck? that implies some sort of tollerance. Someone does something you don't like? just kill them off.. EASY
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:35:16 pm by Neonivek »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 12:34:18 pm »

I always thought consort meant assistant.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 12:36:03 pm »

I always thought consort meant assistant.

Kinda makes me wonder what Cohort means

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 12:37:17 pm »

Well the problem is that intollerance is a lot more of a modern concept.

Hah. Really?

I must be wrong on nearly a thousand years of history.

Unfortunately yeah

Though I am speaking from a connotative point of view. None of this wimpy "Ohh they should be intollerant".

Intollerant!?! What the heck? that implies some sort of tollerance. Someone does something you don't like? just kill them off.. EASY

I'm sorry, but what?

What you said make no sense.

At all.

Please provide evidence that there was any sort of tolerance for anything that didn't fit in with the church during the 1000s' onwards.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 12:38:54 pm »

I think your confusing what I mean Akigagak.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »

That isn't exactly hard.

Trying being clearer.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 12:40:57 pm »

That isn't exactly hard.

Trying being clearer.

I don't know if it is possible to convey what I am trying to say in ways people can understand. So I give up

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »

Escaped Lunatic Troll.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:48 pm »

Back on topic:  Yeah, I remember hearing about this being a bug.  I think it would be neat as a feature, though.  I'm guessing it was something about the consort being generated for a different character than the Duke, but being sent along with the Duke anyway.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 12:54:43 pm »

Actually, prior to the mid-1300s or so, the old world was mostly comprised of dar al-Islam - more or less, everywhere except Europe was not completely Islamic but Islamic to one degree or another, to the point where one traveller (Ibn Batttta) was able to travel throughout Asia, India, parts of the Mediterranean, and Africa without experiencing any real culture shock or not being in a predominantly Islamic area. And this was back when Islam was exercising tolerance towards other religions, before the Safavids started getting aggressive towards the Ottomans about what branch of Islam was better. Europe, meanwhile, was kind of doing its own thing, and being out of the trade loop nobody else (read: the rest of the world) cared about them. True, the Catholic church was intolerant as hell, but they didn't really started to matter (regardless of the crusades) until Europe got big (which itself was a chance occurance based off of a number of unlikely circumstances as well as lucky timing).

As the modern world and its Western (inc. Europe) focus is really only 500ish years old, and much of that early stage was part of an interim sort of period... no, intolerance isn't necessarily a modern concept, but it wasn't dominantly practiced until the last five-ish centuries, which isn't that long if you think about it. When I mentioned that homophobia and disapproval of homosexuality was a recent concept, I meant recent like new-world recent. Back around the Greek/Spartan/(probably Roman, but haven't formally studied them) eras, it was way cool.

Sorry for sounding like I'm giving a lecture, but I wrote essays on the change from the tolerant old world to the intolerant new world AND the unlikely rise of Europe the backwater region to power recently, so the material's still fresh in my mind. Akigakak, if you really require evidence, I could provide some, but we're already pretty far off topic as-is.

Frankly, I think guy-guy and girl-girl relationships in DF are wicked. If one really wanted to complain about it... eh, they all have beards anyhow, what's the difference?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »

Yes, this is about homosexuality.

Why was your evidence based on how intolerant people were to Islam?

When I mentioned that homophobia and disapproval of homosexuality was a recent concept, I meant recent like new-world recent.

Have you seen the Bible? If that was written after the discovery of the West Indies then I'm the President of Spain.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 01:21:35 pm »

That isn't exactly hard.

Trying being clearer.

What he means is that intolerance was, until recently, so universal that everyone took it for granted.  There's a difference between engaging in intolerant behavior, which was obviously common, and taking an interest in the concept of intolerance.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 01:25:45 pm »

I don't mean intolerant 'to' Islam. I mean intolerance in general, and specifically religiously - as in, 700-1300 AD (or so, though prior to that I'm a bit fuzzy) Muslims were not intolerant, at least about most things. They were significantly friendlier than the Catholic church, at least.

And again, Europe was not a big deal prior to the Western world being discovered. Christianity (and I'll include the bible in this) was not really a big deal outside of its tiny sphere of influence - again, Europe was not a power or even some sort of sub-power in the old world, which consists of basically everything pre-1400s. My point is that Christianity didn't really have much strength compared to Islam, which was waaay more widespread and influential, and to the point - tolerant of others.

I don't really feel like debating this more; I was just trying to make a point that homosexuality was totally cool back in the day and that the modern views that 'gays r bad' hasn't always been the standard way of thinking. That being said, I'd really like to push the discussion back to gay dwarves, which I don't see any problem with in Toady's fantasy setting.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 02:08:47 pm »

A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 03:08:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure the OP just misread the title "Duke Consort" for Duke's Consort."

Otherwise, homosexuality is easily achieved via Dwarf Companion, because if you change the gender of a dwarf, he/she retains his/her original sexual preferences.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9