Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bridging and Island for trade  (Read 2827 times)

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridging and Island for trade
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:17 pm »

You can not build constructions at the map edge.

I disagree. South edge.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »

You can build floors and other passable constructions to the edge of the map, but you can't build walls or anything else that is impassible within five tiles of the edge.

Hyndis is holding the magma back with raised drawbridges as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 11:46:48 pm »

Then my plan is feasible.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

What I was trying to say is that since
You can not build constructions at the map edge.

I disagree. South edge.

the only thing you can build at map edge is a bridge, and I think only Constructions are counted when speaking of connection. However, if bridges are taken into accout, this could be possible.

But even with embark anywhere, you would spawn in water.
You would need some cheat program to make lava spawn here and there.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:19:21 pm »

If you're trying to build a bridge across three embark screens of water, then yes. Two embark screens I think is possible.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 03:22:02 pm »

I don't really do much adventure mode play. But do changes an adventurer makes to a site carry over if you later embark at that site?

For instance, suppose you were to attempt a physical bridge across 3+ ocean tiles. You build out a bridge to the edge of the region and assemble a magma chamber with a lever activated discharge mechanism over the ocean. After abondoning the site, send an adventurer to pave part of the next region over. Embark there and use that platform to again cross the region and build another (this time empty) magma chamber. Return as an adventurer to the first magma tower and pump magma across the second fortress to the second chamber, from there pave the next section of ocean and repeat.

I have a site picked out on my current world to experiment. I have a volcanic island 5 or 6 ocean tiles from a volcanic shore of the mainland. I am going to attempt to build a walkable bridge across without cheating... If I can't do that, i plan to cheat by tweaking to produce magma in the mid ocean tiles and still build a walkable bridge across the ocean. I don't know if I will be able to find the time to complete this experiment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »

Why are you still worried about building?  As was mentioned earlier, you don't need a physical bridge to bridge civs to another landmass.  You just need a "bridge" of embark sites.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »

Why are you still worried about building?  As was mentioned earlier, you don't need a physical bridge to bridge civs to another landmass.  You just need a "bridge" of embark sites.

I am aware, but I still want to be able to build a physical bridge. Its a megaproject that spans multiple regional tiles. Its epic.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 11:32:20 pm »

Why are you still worried about building?  As was mentioned earlier, you don't need a physical bridge to bridge civs to another landmass.

Fun.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:15 am »

Then most of the map will be the bridge. Massively wide bridge.

I don't know about all of one material, but I'll try for it.

Make it MULTI-Z-LEVEL.
Finis sanctificat media.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 03:57:37 pm »

No.

I've been working on it, and it's been hard enough just connecting the two edges. I've got it at 9 tiles wide so far and only halfway down. This uses just a TON of shale considering the aquifers. If you want a huge local area wide bridge made of one material and multiple Z-levels, then feel free to show me up.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 05:37:09 pm »

Well, I made an attempt. Hit some problems.

Aquifers. Stone was limited.

Poor living accommodations. Dwarves weren't the happiest.

Food/Alcohol problems. Made too much beer to start. All food was turned to alcohol. Then the dwarves had problems getting food. Tried mass-plant gathering. Eventually, they ran out of alcohol before enough food was grown to produce beer. Tantrum spiral.

I must say though, the most amusing thing in this fortress was when I promoted my woodcutter to Sheriff. Dealing his "beatings" on sleeping dwarves... with a steel battle axe...

Anyway, no way did I get close to an embark screen wide bridge... I didn't even make it halfway across on a 9 tile wide bridge.

Tried to reclaim, but everything I dug out was completely flooded somehow. Decided to abandon the project for now. Another time, perhaps.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7677-bridge

Also, I found it is amazingly difficult to build support underneath the bridge. Wasn't going to be there for any particular reason. Just to make it look good in 3d images. But I couldn't manage a way to build them in. I'm sure someone else could, with enough screwpumps. But I wouldn't be able to.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:44:09 pm by Whitney »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:42 am »

Food/Alcohol problems. Made too much beer to start. All food was turned to alcohol. Then the dwarves had problems getting food. Tried mass-plant gathering. Eventually, they ran out of alcohol before enough food was grown to produce beer. Tantrum spiral.

Even though it makes no sense, you can cook alcohol (with no other ingredients) to make prepared meals.  Some consider it a bit exploity, though.

Tried to reclaim, but everything I dug out was completely flooded somehow. Decided to abandon the project for now. Another time, perhaps.

This also happened to me when I once reclaimed an oceanside fort to test something (which also happened to involve bridging, in a way (my result was that if the game decides at embark that there is NO way for ANYBODY to get to your site due to all of the borders being water (due to it being an island small enough to fit in an embark area (and thus, a region tile)), this won't magically change from bridging to the edge until you reclaim the site)).  It wasn't COMPLETELY flooded, though.  It was kind of like the ocean filled where it THOUGHT it should be, and only that.  Once the water settled, the flooded area was still usable.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 06:18:19 am »

tile)), this won't magically change from bridging to the edge until you reclaim the site)).  It wasn't COMPLETELY flooded, though.  It was kind of like the ocean filled where it THOUGHT it should be, and only that.  Once the water settled, the flooded area was still usable.
Then it's time to think for all you about inclusion of a draingage system into every fortress you build so there'd never be a problem to drain a sudden flood.
Finis sanctificat media.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:21:55 am »

yes. If you plan on abandoning and reclaiming an ocean site, its a good idea to install a pumping system to drain the lower sections of your fort before you abandon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3