Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bridging and Island for trade  (Read 2832 times)

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridging and Island for trade
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:44:16 am »

I read on the wiki that only parent civilizations will trade with you if you are on an island, my question is, if I create a bridge in this channel, then abandon the fortress and build somewhere else on the island, will other civs then count the island as mainland and come to me?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridging and Island for trade
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:55:54 am »

From what I've seen, it does work (As long as you build it big enough for the wagons to go over and you make it out of C)onstructions). I've seen someone bridge two islands together over a large expanse of ocean, and then it worked. So, I should think it does!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:11:58 am »

I'm guessing they used the embark anywhere thing to do that? If so I might just choose an Island that's way out there.

AKAfreaky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:49:42 am »

some people have said that you just have to have the fortress site bridge the gap (without an actual physical link) then on abandon you get the available civs from the mainland on the island

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:34 am »

I'm guessing they used the embark anywhere thing to do that? If so I might just choose an Island that's way out there.
No, they used a really long, narrow embark tile that barely fit the gap between and built a bridge before abandoning. That is, if I'm remembering this correctly.

some people have said that you just have to have the fortress site bridge the gap (without an actual physical link) then on abandon you get the available civs from the mainland on the island

If you give me a moment, I'll test this. ONE SECOND~

EDIT FOR TEST RESULTS -
So, I genned a world with an isolated island. I went to the island and checked who had access
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On the isolated side, it was dwarves only, which is universal unless every edge of your map is blocked.
On the unisolated side, it was all civilisations.
As AKAfreaky had suggested, I made a site between both sides and then abandoned immediately.
And...
Lo and behold, he was correct! It seems that embarking, even if there is no physical link, will create an imaginary bridge for everyone to walk over. As you can see, the isolated area is now just as unisolated as the rest of the world!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:07:33 pm by Doomshifter »
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:52:37 pm »

oh wow that's a lot easier (although a bit less fun :P)

thanks

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:01 pm »

thanks
Go on, build a huge bridge.
You know you want to.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »

thanks
You know you want to.

I accept your challenge.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:21:13 pm »

thanks
You know you want to.

I accept your challenge.
Terrifying biome?
All one material?
Bridging a wide ocean?

Or are you just gonna bridge to an island? :3 I'd love to see it when you're done! Make sure to put it on DFMA or something, and if you do PM me the link please~?

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »

I was just going to bridge an island. Basically take an embark screen like this image. Then most of the map will be the bridge. Massively wide bridge.

I don't know about all of one material, but I'll try for it.

If I had a better idea of how to bridge an ocean, I would try that afterwards.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:28:49 pm »

I am 99% sure its impossible to bridge farther than a single region.

I can however  confirm that occasionally a civ will spawn on a remote island/continent/canyon and settling in that remote area will allow trade with that civ.

I don't do much entity modding, so I don't know if it would work...
But if you can change the fortress race without a world regen,
it would be interesting to see if you could settle an isolated island with different races.
And then see if trade becomes an option.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:57:40 pm »

I think bridging two regions can't be done.

Then if you had a map like:
Code: [Select]
#######
~~~~~~#
~~**~##
~~~~~~#
you could embark on the water region between coast and island, like doomshifter shown in his test.

But if your map was like
Code: [Select]
#######
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~**~~
~~~~~~~
you couldn't build a bridge.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:08:28 pm »

I don't know what the above poster is talking about, but allow me to bring up a theory.

You can build bridges all the way to the edge of the map? Even the very wall tile. I think this may also be true with flooring, which is what I'm going to be building most of my bridge out of.

Now, if you build all the way to the far east side of one map, and then abandon and reembark on the location just on the east side, and build a bridge all the way to the far west side of the map, one would have two connecting locations. Testable with Adventure mode. But this would need to be perfect. This is my theory of building a bridge two max sized local regions long. This is not what I will be doing for the first challenge here.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »

Not necessarily true. I'll use your diagram to explain:

#######
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~**~~
~~~~~~~

If you can embark in the two ~s, as in, both of them aren't completely full of water, then you can make your embark across the whole region tile for both, and there'll be access once you're finished.

I did this same trick, but with a two region mountain, to get access to all the civs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:48 pm »

I don't know what the above poster is talking about, but allow me to bring up a theory.

You can build bridges all the way to the edge of the map? Even the very wall tile. I think this may also be true with flooring, which is what I'm going to be building most of my bridge out of.

Now, if you build all the way to the far east side of one map, and then abandon and reembark on the location just on the east side, and build a bridge all the way to the far west side of the map, one would have two connecting locations. Testable with Adventure mode. But this would need to be perfect. This is my theory of building a bridge two max sized local regions long. This is not what I will be doing for the first challenge here.
You can not build constructions at the map edge.

Not necessarily true. I'll use your diagram to explain:

#######
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~**~~
~~~~~~~

If you can embark in the two ~s, as in, both of them aren't completely full of water, then you can make your embark across the whole region tile for both, and there'll be access once you're finished.

I did this same trick, but with a two region mountain, to get access to all the civs.

this might be viable though, I'll see if I can find a place to test it.
And if it is, then a little magic with embark anywhere might allow you to bring civs across the ocean.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:51:35 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3