Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?  (Read 3263 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Liason offering Sand?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 11:42:17 pm »

How did you get that?? Interesting.

Also, which version of the Mayday graphics pack is that?

Anyways, if it turns out that you can designate it as a sand collecting zone, you probably found the best bug/feature ever. :)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 11:52:14 pm »

How did you get that??

It should be easily reproducible.

I downloaded one of the pre-generated worlds (just the save file) off the DF Wiki. It was this one, Lathondur Minbaz:

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds#Lathondur_Minbaz

I started my Fort in a 6x6 area here:

Can you say: "Extreme Cliffs"?

It has a Magma vent, HFS, Forest, Flux (Marble), access to all Civs, and is on the intersection between a biome that freezes in Winter and one that does not.

I have no idea why the Mountainhome is willing to trade me lumps of Sand... possibly this world was originally genned under a previous version?
Never pet a burning dog.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 01:10:19 am »

Looking at the edit history of that wiki page, Lathondur Minbaz was generated prior to October 30, 2007, which would mean it was generated with version 0.27.169.32a, the very first 3D version of Dwarf Fortress ever released.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:16:24 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 01:38:26 am »

Looking at the edit history of that wiki page, Lathondur Minbaz was generated prior to October 30, 2007, which would mean it was generated with version 0.27.169.32a, the very first 3D version of Dwarf Fortress ever released.

No surprise that it's a bit cranky, then.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a way to use my imported Sand to create an actual patch of Sand that can be zoned for Glassmaking.

I used it to build a Sand Floor... but can't zone it for Sand collection. I un-built it, but it did not leave Sand behind. I'll be trying out a few more experiments (involving cave-ins, building and destroying Workshops, etc) before I decide that it can't be done.

Any suggestions?
Never pet a burning dog.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 02:33:21 am »

No surprise that it's a bit cranky, then.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a way to use my imported Sand to create an actual patch of Sand that can be zoned for Glassmaking.

I used it to build a Sand Floor... but can't zone it for Sand collection. I un-built it, but it did not leave Sand behind. I'll be trying out a few more experiments (involving cave-ins, building and destroying Workshops, etc) before I decide that it can't be done.

Any suggestions?

If you can use it in construction, then chances are that the sand is just a rock or a block, as opposed to ground-type. It's not indifferent from any other type - an Adamantine wall doesn't leave the tile behind it as adamantine floor... would it?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:09 am »

I did a search and the only thing I found was a post by someone that they modded their DF to allow making of glass from special rocks to be bought from caravans, as an emergency measure in case of a mood requiring glass.  It would have smelter reactions to go with the sand rocks, if that is what you have.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:26:11 am »

Just exported worldgen info from that world, and it was indeed "Created in DF v0.27.169.32a". Unfortunately, the seed is not compatible with the current version and generates a completely different world.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 01:15:00 pm »

blue emu, have you checked the raw files yet to make sure that the game actually still considers those sand types to be sand and not another type of rock, and that there aren't maybe two types of each sand (one sand/soil and one rock)?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »

blue emu, have you checked the raw files yet to make sure that the game actually still considers those sand types to be sand and not another type of rock, and that there aren't maybe two types of each sand (one sand/soil and one rock)?

I made no changes at all to my RAWs. All I did was download the REGION folder from the Wiki and put it in its proper place in the DATA/SAVE folder. The REGION folder contains no files with the RAW extension... only DAT files.

The weirdness may well originate from playing a world that was generated in DF v32 using my current DF v40d16 exe file.

EDIT: Just struck Adamantine, 75 levels (!) below my original embark spot.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:19:49 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 03:24:33 pm »

I think that world generated with raws different from yours would be either different (obviously), or it would crash. For all we know, the guy who originally made your world might have modified sand to be a stone as opposed to a soil.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 03:25:50 pm »

I know you say you made no changes to the raws, but it still might be worth checking them to be sure that nothing happened there, and it doesn't take a lot of time, really.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

I know you say you made no changes to the raws, but it still might be worth checking them to be sure that nothing happened there, and it doesn't take a lot of time, really.

Just checked... there are no Sand entries in the matgloss_stone_mineral, matgloss_stone_layer, matgloss_stone_gem files, and only the ordinary Sand entries in matgloss_stone_soil file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Never pet a burning dog.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 08:49:18 pm »

I did a search and the only thing I found was a post by someone that they modded their DF to allow making of glass from special rocks to be bought from caravans, as an emergency measure in case of a mood requiring glass.  It would have smelter reactions to go with the sand rocks, if that is what you have.

I have only the usual Glass Smelter reactions. I suspect that this is just a bug brought on by version incompatibilities between v32a and v40d.

Here's a shot of my HUMUNGEOUS mountain:

... I just struck Adamantine, by the way... seventy-five levels below the crest of that hill near the center of the map. I'm going to NEED it, for mechanisms. I have Magma, but no Bauxite.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:52:05 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 03:26:58 am »

Could download the mod that makes some stone  magma resistnat, especially alunite.

Anyway, your fort looks tiny, what map are you playing on 6x6?
And how far in does your fort go into the mountain
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:19:32 am »

Have you tried building it as a wall and then designating the top of the wall for sand collection?
Might work
Pages: 1 [2] 3