Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17748 times)

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 07:13:36 am »

I'm thinking about designing a fort after <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel>Mont-Saint-Michel[/url].

When it was first built, the castle's island was only accessible during low tide. If anyone was caught in between the island and the mainland when high tide was coming in, they were screwed.

What I'd do is create an automated tide-pumping system that would pump water into a specialized reservoir during low tide, and release it during high tide. Oh yeah, except I'd use magma instead of water.

I have JUST the idea!

you need a 3-deep moat all around your castle, divided in at least 3 sectors.

Every crossing point should be like this:

X\      /X
XXXXXXXXXX
X........X

Every border between sectors must have a pump stack pumping from the lowest level of one sector to the highest of the other:

XXXXX %%~
XX %%~XX~
%%~XXXXX~

The only thing i'm not sure about is automated switching from pump stack to pump stack when and only when the previous sector has been filled.

Of course this method would need more lava added. Or maybe you can set the pumps to stop pumping when there's only 2/7 lava left on the lower level.

You don't even need it to be that complicated if you have a river/pipe and a pit/chasm.  Just connect the moat to the source and when you need to lower the level, pump it into the pit, and when the entrance needs to be closed again, stop pumping.  You can do the same thing without the pit by having a closed system, pumping the excess into a cistern, and dumping it back into the moat when needed.

True, but what's dwarfier? A moat that is secure and drainable/fillable as necessary or a bunch of diplomats running across the bridge and yelling "Hurry the bile up! The tide is coming!!!"?
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2009, 10:45:00 am »

Hurry the bile up? That gives me an idea...

Namely, to cave adapt your dwarves and force them to vomit as much upon the bridge as dwarvenly possible.
Wait, is it dwarf coverings that never wash off, or land coverings? It's probably land coverings. Well, you can still get a pretty awesome deathtrap.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

I'm thinking about designing a fort after <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel>Mont-Saint-Michel[/url].

When it was first built, the castle's island was only accessible during low tide. If anyone was caught in between the island and the mainland when high tide was coming in, they were screwed.

What I'd do is create an automated tide-pumping system that would pump water into a specialized reservoir during low tide, and release it during high tide. Oh yeah, except I'd use magma instead of water.

I have JUST the idea!

you need a 3-deep moat all around your castle, divided in at least 3 sectors.

Every crossing point should be like this:

X\      /X
XXXXXXXXXX
X........X

Every border between sectors must have a pump stack pumping from the lowest level of one sector to the highest of the other:

XXXXX %%~
XX %%~XX~
%%~XXXXX~

The only thing i'm not sure about is automated switching from pump stack to pump stack when and only when the previous sector has been filled.

Of course this method would need more lava added. Or maybe you can set the pumps to stop pumping when there's only 2/7 lava left on the lower level.

You don't even need it to be that complicated if you have a river/pipe and a pit/chasm.  Just connect the moat to the source and when you need to lower the level, pump it into the pit, and when the entrance needs to be closed again, stop pumping.  You can do the same thing without the pit by having a closed system, pumping the excess into a cistern, and dumping it back into the moat when needed.

True, but what's dwarfier? A moat that is secure and drainable/fillable as necessary or a bunch of diplomats running across the bridge and yelling "Hurry the bile up! The tide is coming!!!"?

Well, besides the one I made to test the concept drains from 2 full 3*20 levels to 1 3*20 level and a few 1/7 spaces in about 20 steps and refills in around 80 without using any pumps.  I could probably fill it completely in 10ish steps with a cistern.  Shaped like a barrel.  With a tap as the drain.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »

i plan to build the Tower of Babel folwing the most over the top accounts i can find.
so far ive got

13 zlevels high(ok so one zlevel is standing
 in for a km)by 50 spaces wide
i plan to put the fort in the tower so i will build it bigger

and why not build the Colossus of NeroUist in side the later Colosseum

or the tomb of Qin Shi Huang/Uist
replicas of palaces and scenic towers, 'rare utensils and wonderful objects', 100 rivers made with mercury/magma, representations of 'the heavenly bodies', and crossbows rigged to shoot anyone who tried to break in.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 01:56:04 pm »

I made this for Headshoots :P

My big dream project is to recreate the castle from Ico, but that would be awfully huge amount of work and there doesn't seem to be good quality map anywhere (this is the best I can find (scroll a little bit down)).

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:36 pm »

replicas of palaces and scenic towers, 'rare utensils and wonderful objects', 100 rivers made with mercury/magma, representations of 'the heavenly bodies', and crossbows rigged to shoot anyone who tried to break in.
Dude ate friggin' mercury pills to try and live forever. Total nutter.

Anyway do the terracotta army, too, it'll be cool.
Um, maybe station people into formation and then drown them? Or use statues?

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:00 pm »

Dude ate friggin' mercury pills to try and live forever. Total nutter.

Anyway do the terracotta army, too, it'll be cool.
Um, maybe station people into formation and then drown them? Or use statues?

I think statues would be more realistic... the only problem is, is that clay is not a stone.... my best thought as a replacment is ... claystone (no cookies there). Do also remember that the entire army consits of horses, and supply loggistcs. (carts etc) as well as all sorts of exotic weaponry (stuff that unfortuntaly we cant get in vanila DF)
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »

Make part of your tomb a trade depot.
Station soldiers and mules/horses there (use restraints for the animals).
Wait for a caravan.
Unleash the river of magma.
DO EET

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2009, 12:18:39 am »

Le snip my own post~

well you got it wrong sorry silhouette, tis discworld. Yes discworld was supported by four elephants, but riding in orbit of the sun on op of a turtle. Yes according to the storys they even invented seperate craft to pilot around the flat planes of the structure.
No there is also a religion around this aswell or something.
Riding on top of a giant fish.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2009, 12:22:29 am »

This will be my first megaproject. Though ambitious, I think I can make a scale replica of Minas Tirith. However, I will need some help.

Firstly, how tall would a z-level be? 10 ft.? The reason I ask is because Minas Tirith is made of 7 layers, each 100 ft. taller than the last. As accurate as it would be, 10 z-levels per floor just isn't feasible; rather, something like 3 or 4 would probably suffice.

Secondly, it is described as being hewn from marble. This means I'll need to likely find a mountain and hack away at it, leaving only gleaming white stone behind. Is there a way to increase the chance of marble appearing during world generation? I know it appears slightly more often around magma.

Finally, on the embark screen's local map, what are the dimensions for 1 square in game? I've estimated that I will need at the very least, 430x430 squares for a reasonably accurate model of the town itself, not including the mountains or fields which surround it. If it is bigger than 4x4 on the embark screen, chances are my computer will suffer from it, and I won't be able to make it quite that big.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2009, 12:44:46 am »

Though ambitious, I think I can make a scale replica of Minas Tirith.
Awesomeproject is awesome
These are dwarves we're talking about, so 5 feet perhaps. But like you said, 3/4 levels seems adequate for a Minas-Tirith style layered fortress.
I remember someone modding something of this sort - he took stone tokens out of the matgloss or something, which meant that his entire place was made of soil. Similarly, you could take out everything but marble and have a pure marble map. Sean Mirrsen's pack has a mineral mod you could look at to see how to get started:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35123.0
Also, http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28829.0 has some mods you might want to look at or use, including a hobbit mod and some programs that let you see your fortress in 3D, so you can see your amazing creation.
I don't know about embark tiles though. Try starting a 1x1 and just seeing how big it is.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2009, 02:08:56 am »

Firstly, how tall would a z-level be? 10 ft.? The reason I ask is because Minas Tirith is made of 7 layers, each 100 ft. taller than the last. As accurate as it would be, 10 z-levels per floor just isn't feasible; rather, something like 3 or 4 would probably suffice.

If you do 4 z-levels = 100 ft, and the first wall = 100 ft tall, then the last wall will be 700 feet tall.  That's 2,800 ft over 112 z-levels.  That's definitely doable.  You can find a mountain over 112 tall, I know I've seen some of those in the world gen threads.

Also, I believe an embark tile is 48x48 squares.  That means you'd need a 9x9 to get the space you want...

I'm sure you could cut that in half, though, and still have some great detail.  Making towers as small as 2x2 you could really fill up a 4x4 embark with a lot of detail.
At last, she is done.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2009, 02:25:42 am »

Eh? If 4 z-levels = 100 feet, and it's 700 feet tall, the thing is 7*4 = 28 z-levels, right?
The tower is 700 feet tall, not 2,800, I think...

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:27 am »

Eh? If 4 z-levels = 100 feet, and it's 700 feet tall, the thing is 7*4 = 28 z-levels, right?
The tower is 700 feet tall, not 2,800, I think...

Well, if he's making each wall 100 ft taller than the last, then the total height will be 100ft + 200ft + 300ft...+700 ft = 2,800ft.  Each wall starts where the last one left off, so you're essentially stacking them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At last, she is done.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:51 am »

Actually, I was off.  Looking at some pictures, the bottom of each wall doesn't start at the very top of the lower one, but a little farther down.  You could do it with fewer z-levels if you built it like this:

Guess I've given away how I'm not a huge Tolkien nerd...  :)
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8