Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17735 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:17 am »

Yea a popular method is the magma-dropping one for creating obsidian walls, but since you have to put up with near-endless cave-in recentering spam it's hardly worth it. Just imagine being recentered and pressing space hundreds or in some cases thousands of times, and you'll get the picture.

Once we can turn cave-in notification off life will be so much easier.
I think trying to drain the ocean into an aquifer wasn't a good idea. It took me ten minutes just to PAUSE DF so I could turn it off!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:48 am »

How about a fully glass tower made like that weird tower they're making in China?

You know, the one with two legs that are like L's that meet perpendicularly?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:01 am »

How about a fully glass tower made like that weird tower they're making in China?

You know, the one with two legs that are like L's that meet perpendicularly?
The CCTV tower:

It's done, btw.  On the outside at least.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:10 am »

Yes, that. Thanks nil!

Anyways it would be pretty cool.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2009, 04:24:07 am »

I'm thinking about designing a fort after <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel>Mont-Saint-Michel[/url].

When it was first built, the castle's island was only accessible during low tide. If anyone was caught in between the island and the mainland when high tide was coming in, they were screwed.

What I'd do is create an automated tide-pumping system that would pump water into a specialized reservoir during low tide, and release it during high tide. Oh yeah, except I'd use magma instead of water.

I have JUST the idea!

you need a 3-deep moat all around your castle, divided in at least 3 sectors.

Every crossing point should be like this:

X\      /X
XXXXXXXXXX
X........X

Every border between sectors must have a pump stack pumping from the lowest level of one sector to the highest of the other:

XXXXX %%~
XX %%~XX~
%%~XXXXX~

The only thing i'm not sure about is automated switching from pump stack to pump stack when and only when the previous sector has been filled.

Of course this method would need more lava added. Or maybe you can set the pumps to stop pumping when there's only 2/7 lava left on the lower level.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

Yea a popular method is the magma-dropping one for creating obsidian walls, but since you have to put up with near-endless cave-in recentering spam it's hardly worth it. Just imagine being recentered and pressing space hundreds or in some cases thousands of times, and you'll get the picture.

Use the Dtil unpause utility :)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 06:17:17 am »

Use the Dtil unpause utility :)

You see, when I asked if there were any way around it in the questions forum, all I got were blank stares. And here you come over the hill like the damn cavalry, saving the day. Thank you.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2009, 06:25:18 am »

I think I might just need that utility. OCEAN, WATCH OUT! HERE I COME~
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2009, 01:35:03 pm »

I have taken a couple stabs as building the roman mill at barbegal just for the hell of it, but underground instead of on a hillside, since I have not taken the time to find a suitable exterior site.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2009, 02:12:44 pm »

I have taken a couple stabs as building the roman mill at barbegal just for the hell of it, but underground instead of on a hillside, since I have not taken the time to find a suitable exterior site.

Wow, mad respect for that. I've been studying a lot of Roman culture lately, including this, and it's pretty awesome - plus you could definitely recreate it in terms of function as well, whereas a lot of DF replications don't actually do anything.

On a similar note, I've been considering a dam project that includes a working canal lock series that could take a hypothetical boat downwards or upwards safely and evenly, though I'm not sure where to start researching the concept. I'm sure with enough pumps and a simple water logic system, I could do it.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009, 02:32:59 pm »

I'm thinking about designing a fort after <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel>Mont-Saint-Michel[/url].

When it was first built, the castle's island was only accessible during low tide. If anyone was caught in between the island and the mainland when high tide was coming in, they were screwed.

What I'd do is create an automated tide-pumping system that would pump water into a specialized reservoir during low tide, and release it during high tide. Oh yeah, except I'd use magma instead of water.

I have JUST the idea!

you need a 3-deep moat all around your castle, divided in at least 3 sectors.

Every crossing point should be like this:

X\      /X
XXXXXXXXXX
X........X

Every border between sectors must have a pump stack pumping from the lowest level of one sector to the highest of the other:

XXXXX %%~
XX %%~XX~
%%~XXXXX~

The only thing i'm not sure about is automated switching from pump stack to pump stack when and only when the previous sector has been filled.

Of course this method would need more lava added. Or maybe you can set the pumps to stop pumping when there's only 2/7 lava left on the lower level.

You don't even need it to be that complicated if you have a river/pipe and a pit/chasm.  Just connect the moat to the source and when you need to lower the level, pump it into the pit, and when the entrance needs to be closed again, stop pumping.  You can do the same thing without the pit by having a closed system, pumping the excess into a cistern, and dumping it back into the moat when needed.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 09:24:47 pm »

actually you could just use the magma wall as a dam and even build a floodgate to control water, so if you want to get out of isolation or dunno, fire up your rocket to space you can get the area dry, wich is kinda cool, i love transformations and stuff like that...

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2009, 03:53:10 am »

My method for creating fortresses in the ocean is to use a paralled magmaduct/aqueduct to a mold in the shape of the structure I wish to build, supported by a single lever-deactivated support. Mold the level, drop it and the mold into the ocean, re-construct the mold, repeat! This allows you to make any fortress in the ocean of virtually any shape you like, but it takes a lot of planning, to work properly.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:33 am »

>.>
<.<
Arnt suppose to tell you this but meh.

Currently creating the MASSIVE structure in discworld/ a random religion that ive forgotten about, somthing like indian or whatever...

You know, basically the flat world on top of four elephents on top of a giant turtle? (and in some versions on top of a MASSIVE fish)

Takes place in a river and am currently making the river much larger so it can fit the giant fish...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2009, 05:20:14 am »

>.>
<.<
Arnt suppose to tell you this but meh.

Currently creating the MASSIVE structure in discworld/ a random religion that ive forgotten about, somthing like indian or whatever...

You know, basically the flat world on top of four elephents on top of a giant turtle? (and in some versions on top of a MASSIVE fish)

Takes place in a river and am currently making the river much larger so it can fit the giant fish...

well you got it wrong sorry silhouette, tis discworld. Yes discworld was supported by four elephants, but riding in orbit of the sun on op of a turtle. Yes according to the storys they even invented seperate craft to pilot around the flat planes of the structure.
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8