Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions  (Read 17731 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses based on real or mythical constructions
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:10 am »

Well, if he's making each wall 100 ft taller than the last, then the total height will be 100ft + 200ft + 300ft...+700 ft = 2,800ft.  Each wall starts where the last one left off, so you're essentially stacking them.
Yes, this is what I am attempting to do. The hard part seems to be picking the perfect site before I spend countless hours chiselling out this city.

@Graebeard: Neither am I. I just wanted to do this project out of sheer scale and epicness. And that is a good idea. :P
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:10 am »

i had the same doubt wen i started my project (as i said before i am working on the minas tirith thing too, "and right now im working on a city based on minas tirith, though i have gone a bit too fa...") so i watched the movies and got myself some blueprints

i found this at wikipedia
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for the size of the walls, for what i saw the only one that is diferent its the first wall, me i work on 2z levels high walls while the one on the first level is only 1 z level, believe me making the round parts will be hell, i decided to make it square since it was too much, still im working on making it possible to flood i completely with water and magma, and the dwarves to stay alive via a system of underground passages between the buildings wich opens up wen i seal all buildings and let the water in, also each area can be flooded with both magma and water, and i placed a pit in the middle of the city wich is 14z levels deep to throw in prisoners a la 300

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 02:08:48 pm »

Well, if he's making each wall 100 ft taller than the last, then the total height will be 100ft + 200ft + 300ft...+700 ft = 2,800ft.  Each wall starts where the last one left off, so you're essentially stacking them.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2009, 02:46:44 pm »

i had the same doubt wen i started my project (as i said before i am working on the minas tirith thing too, "and right now im working on a city based on minas tirith, though i have gone a bit too fa...") so i watched the movies and got myself some blueprints

as for the size of the walls, for what i saw the only one that is diferent its the first wall, me i work on 2z levels high walls while the one on the first level is only 1 z level, believe me making the round parts will be hell, i decided to make it square since it was too much, still im working on making it possible to flood i completely with water and magma, and the dwarves to stay alive via a system of underground passages between the buildings wich opens up wen i seal all buildings and let the water in, also each area can be flooded with both magma and water, and i placed a pit in the middle of the city wich is 14z levels deep to throw in prisoners a la 300
Bonus: Carve the entire thing carefully out of the mountain, so when you disallow dwarves going outside, they retreat into the buildings.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »

Bonus: Carve the entire thing carefully out of the mountain, so when you disallow dwarves going outside, they retreat into the buildings.

actually its going to be out of the floor, that way the whole thing will be in a canion, wich will be able to transform into a lake

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »

Anyone play Shin Megami Tensei Imagine? No? Meh...

Well here's Shinjuku Babel, a big ass tower with a huge city inside, with actual skyscrapers within the skyscraper itself. I haven't attempted it myself, but if anyone does, they deserve a cookie... A really big cookie.
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Azgog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:42 pm »

with actual skyscrapers within the skyscraper itself.

I've tried to replicate Durin's Tower and The Endless Stair once, though I don't think Moria counts neither as a real nor a mythical construction. It has some very nice features and details nevertheless, at least in the movies and some of the games where they can actually be seen. The most inspiring rendition of Moria i've seen was probably in LOTR: The Third Age; the game itself was horrible (e.g. in the end you have to climb on the top of Barad-Dur and fight the Eye of Sauron) but it had some really nice landscapes and game world in general. Moria especially feels vast and has some nice hall designs, which i often find myself replicating. Most of my forts have also have had a big-ass hall with pillars and no real use...

Which also brings to mind that after starting to play DF, I find many of the dwarven settlements in various fantasy settings hugely impractical and absurd. I still can't figure where the hell they put all the excess stone from mining in Moria.
"I REQUIRE LUMBER"
"We have plenty of lumber"
".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"
"What kind?"
"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2009, 06:15:44 pm »

Which also brings to mind that after starting to play DF, I find many of the dwarven settlements in various fantasy settings hugely impractical and absurd. I still can't figure where the hell they put all the excess stone from mining in Moria.

Well, I think one thing you have to take into account when viewing a movie is that things are exaggerated for theatrical effect. That aside, you have to see Moria as a bustling city, with the halls as huge markets and meeting areas. A real city lives on trade and personal interaction, unlike a DF mountainhome with no more than a few hundred workers and no actual commerce. (I don't count the "Dwarven Economy", and I don't think it should be brought up as an argument. That would be an absurd comparison.)

Concerning stone movement: Moria was largely a series of existing natural caverns. Stone would be used in construction and excess would be dumped in unused shafts and caverns.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:46 pm »

Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2009, 07:39:47 pm »

I lol'd... Hard

It's posts like these that really make me wonder what cultural anthropologists of the future will think of our era.  I mean, our communications has become so abstracted, so self referential and context dependent, that I really wonder how they will look to an outside observer.  I guess there won't be any problems if nothing drastically bad happens and all the information on the internet is preserved, but what if there were a big data loss?

Imagine someone 1,000 years from now sifting through wreckage of our cities and the rubble of the 21st century internet.  They stumble across a lot of pron, lolcats, and posts like the above as we might chance upon scattered cuneiform tablets.  What will they think of us?
At last, she is done.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »

Imagine someone 1,000 years from now sifting through wreckage of our cities and the rubble of the 21st century internet.  They stumble across a lot of pron, lolcats, and posts like the above as we might chance upon scattered cuneiform tablets.  What will they think of us?

"Evidence continues to mount that the first great lolcat war was set off by some sort of cheeseburger famine..."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »

What will they think of us?
Vox: Our fun'gineers think it went something like this:
Animatronic Whalers: We're whalers on the moon!
Animatronic Gophers: They carry a harpoon!
All: But there ain't no whales, so we tell tall tales, and sing our whaling tune.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2009, 08:48:43 pm »

You, sir, are a genius.
Wait, this just gave me a thought... what if we combined "Yo dawg I heard you like X" and "i herd u liek mudkips"?

EDIT: Wait, someone did that. Never mind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:53:09 pm by Cheddarius »

Zinc

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything looks better with a tophat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »

I would love yo reproduce the Citadel from the Half Life series surronded by small homes and workshops.

In fact, im inspired to create a fortress on fictional buildings

as soon as my new laptop comes in...

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2009, 10:50:59 pm »

I would love yo reproduce the Citadel from the Half Life series surronded by small homes and workshops.

In fact, im inspired to create a fortress on fictional buildings

as soon as my new laptop comes in...

imagine building black mesa, now thats a both interesting and hard project
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8