Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayday's DFG....make things bigger?  (Read 1797 times)

Johnnyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday's DFG....make things bigger?
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:47:17 am »

Hey guys!

I just discovered DF, and have been using Mike Mayday's wonderful "Graphics Edition", and I have to say it is truly wonderful. I just had one question.

I know that mike states that the horizontal resolution must be at 1280, but is there any way to make everything bigger?

I find that it is a bit too small for me to see (I don't have the best eyesight) I'm using a 24inch monitor.

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday's DFG....make things bigger?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:06 am »

You need a bigger tileset.

Also, 40d# changes the rules a bit, it is much more flexible, you can have the window beyond the horizontal resolution. I even tried stretching it across my dual monitors.

But yeah, with 40d# you could also zoom in, but that makes everything slightly blurry and difficult to use. But primarily what you are looking for is a bigger tileset.

Johnnyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:10 am »

Can you suggest one?

Also, how do I "zoom in" as you said? I know this may make it blurry but it is better then not being able to see =)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:21:58 am »

Mouse wheel; but I think you will need 40d16 (link is on top of page) for it to work.

I can't really help ya with tilesets though... I personally use the 16x16 one which comes with the game. I find it easy enough to see, even with my 1680x1050 19'' monitor (pixels are about 15% smaller than the average 19'' resolution of 1440).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:26:59 am by alway »

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:34 am »

- The DF window can be zoomed on the fly using the mouse wheel. There are two modes, it defaults to mode 1. Pressing mouse wheel switches modes. Pressing F12 resets mode 1, not 2. In mode 1, the zoom from mode 2 is not visible. (And yes, you can use both at once)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 10:29:43 am »

You can also zoom out all the way, putting the entire map into view; although this is impractical for playing since aside from the obvious inability to see everything, it drops FPS a huge amount. However, it does make for some nice full fort screenshots.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:30:09 am »

The newest Mayday's is 40d16, so no need to download that manually.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

Besides the technical, for the practical solutions..

Are you using your monitor correctly?
Is it not too far or too close, but just right?
As well as at the right angle? Looking slightly from up or down could change your experience, especially left and right on bad monitors.
Are you using the correct resolution for your monitor, so that pixels are correctly occupied on the real lights of your monitor? If you have the correct solution images should appear sharp and clear.
Also are the colour tones correctly set up? It might be good to press the auto-adjust button. Weak colour tones could blend in with the background and might find it hard to pick contrast.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:46:24 pm by Nexii Malthus »

Johnnyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:56:37 pm »

Its not an issue with my monitor, that much I know....It's just a little too small for me, thats all, and I wanted to see if I could get the tiles to be more zoomed in. I would see less of the map at a time, but It would be easier to see things for me =)

My monitor has a native res of 1920x1200.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:07:56 pm »

Have you tried using the mouse wheel yet?  If you're using the latest version of Mike Mayday's DFG, it should work.  If you're not, you can update to that version and copy your save over.

Johnnyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:18:19 pm »

Actually, I did! I just figured out how the zoom works in DFG, and I think this will work for me. I don't always need to be zoomed in, but sometimes I want a closer look t something and rather then get like 3 inches from my monitor, this will do the trick.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

John