Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Risus - More RP than RTD!  (Read 2936 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Risus - More RP than RTD!
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:07:36 am »

Well, I just discovered this really nifty role-playing system that is more RP-ish than RTD, but just as hilarious. It's called Risus, and you can find it's creator's web page here. I've included a copy of the rules in this this thread (Omitting the optional rules that we aren't using). Here it is:

Spoiler: Info and Creits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Character Creation" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "The Game System" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Proper Tools" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "The Combat System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Teaming Up" (click to show/hide)

Next post has rules on joining and clichés available.

Players:

Archangel as Dan
Siquo as Mar'y
Pillow_Killer as Umguk
RAM as RAM
Strife26 as Strife
knightedskull as Balber

Waiting List:
Flintus10
Luke_Prowler
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:17:04 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: Risus - More RP than RTD!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:07:52 am »

You will be a starting character. 10 dice, no more than four in a single cliché. Use your common sense when picking them, no dwarf-elfs. (Unless you can RP a VERY good explanation as to why you are both.)

This will be in a fantasy-ish setting with many blatant anachronisms. (Think NetHack) We will have a silly setting, preferably with a lot of sarcastic humor. Here are the clichés available:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any cliches that aren't here that you think would be a cool idea or fit your character concept would be awesome. PM your character to me, along with a nice description, and any cliches you would want that character to have. If you are approved, post the character here. (Along with any custom cliches.) After we get a good six players, we can start. As for cliche, feel free to choose anything you want. Don't feel confined by my list, and you can always pick from the list in the above post. Bad things will happen if you're the other kind of vampire.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:17:45 pm by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:48 pm »

I would choose four Cliches that all give a bonus to one useless thing. Like grunting. Or stench-generation.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:14:52 pm »

I've got permission from Psyco to use Dan again.

Description: An insane Arathinian Heavy Infantryman with faint-suntan coloured skin. A 6ft 11, black haired, handsome, insane Arathinian Heavy Infantryman with faint-suntan coloured skin. A 6ft 11, black haired, handsome, insane, bisexual Arathinian Heavy Infantryman with faint-suntan coloured skin. Who has a pink, frilly, bobble topped beanie with a light blue smiley face embroidered on the front. He also has an assault rifle named Bubbles. Oh, and the smiley face breathes fire. And he tries to make jetpack like devices from pretty much everything. I'm going to have a  lot of fun.

Clichés Tropes: Badass (2), Space Marine (2), Crazy Awesome (4), MacGyver (1), Hey it's that guy! (1)

EDIT: I forgot to mention Dan's two inch thick, pink armor.

EDIT2: And the five foot long sword he wields as easily as a well trained normal person can wield a rapier.

Edit 3: Due to Siquo's suggestion, I'm changing the rifle to a tri-barreled rocket launcher, like the one in Unreal Tournament 2004.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:30:43 am by Archangel »
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 06:14:09 am »

Would this be a forum game, with turn updates and simultaneous results?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:50:08 pm »

Approved:

Mar'y Zjaen
Elf wizard, gets high on a lot of things, including himself. His spells often
misfire, but achieve a different and higher purpose than he imagined himself. Just
last day, he had the munchies and conjured a sandwich, but a knife appeared instead,
that flew right at him! Mar dodged it, but it hit the assassin right behind him who
was about to strike square in the eye.

Wizard (3), Substance Abuser (4), SpannerInTheWorks (Think Inspector Gadget's
Obliviousness While Still Saving The Day) (2), Ignoring Bad Stuff (1)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 03:54:38 pm »

Yes RAM, it will.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:36:47 pm »

Approved:
Umguk Ogak The Noble
He likes socks, thongs and baby silver dragons for their wet hotness. (Steam, you dirty mind!)
He prefers to consume lumps of royal jelly when possible.
He absolutely detests microline.
Cliches: 4 Noble; 4 Wizard; 2 Merchant
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »

RAM the cat
   Description: small, black, and furry. Likes to chase vermin
           and cause miasma and get in the way and sleep and
           be immune to deliberate death.
           Wants to be famous and respected and master of
           all it surveys.
   Clichés: Migrant (3), Noble (3), Cat (4).
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »

Name: Strife

(1) Cultured Warrior http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CulturedWarrior
(2) Trenchcoat Brigadier http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrenchcoatBrigade
(4) Drifter http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDrifter
(2) The Aragorn http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAragorn

Strife, the wandering fighter has shown up. He's near the apex of awareness, and has a tendency to point out all sorts of Genre Savvy type of things. For all that, he's going to go through his normal motion of find the baddies and beat them up, although, he seems to be oblivious to problems with finding out WHO is actually bad here . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:54:47 am »

Comeon! we need just one more person!

Are you being sent any characters Psyco?
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:52:56 am »

If your still taking in folk I will write up a character now.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:09:13 am »

How the hell does one end up with an assault rifle in a fantasy setting anyway?!

Oh extra, my stuff. Mar'y is wearing a bright green wizard's robe, with a green, pointed wizard hat. Just to show off that he is a wizard-to-be-reckoned-with. Is reasonably handsome, but thinks he is gorgeous. Always carries an apothecary ('drugstore' for the USians) of mind-altering substances in a wooden suitcase. Never uses them for any purpose but personal entertainment. Has a wizards' wand, which is entirely useless but helps with the illusion of being a mighty wizard. Has a pair of darkened pinche-nez, worn solely at night, to keep track of visions in his mind. They also help to ignore bad things.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:29:54 am »

How the hell does one end up with an assault rifle in a fantasy setting anyway?!
Why, by being a time traveler of course! Also:
This will be in a fantasy-ish setting with many blatant anachronisms. (Think NetHack) We will have a silly setting, preferably with a lot of sarcastic humor.
My full sig

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 03:56:27 am »

Well, I'm not against it, as long as you're on my team  ;D

It's just... I'm trying to wrap my head around it...
Nethack may have kitchen sinks, but still no assault rifles.
I'm quite the fan of blatant silly anachronisms in silly fantasy, but an assault rifle isn't even remotely silly or funny. Let me redo that:
This will be in a fantasy-ish setting with many blatant anachronisms. (Think NetHack) We will have a silly setting, preferably with a lot of sarcastic humor.

Therefore I vote you get a rocketlauncher. Fits your cliches (Badass, Crazy Awesome) better as well  :D
It's Psyco's call anyhow, I'm just trying to help fleshing out a character in the sillier direction.

Pages: [1] 2 3