Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Digging Pattern  (Read 3217 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Digging Pattern
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »

If dwarves would simply pick the nearest tile to them to dig from, rather than the northeast direction - without regard to actual pathfinding - the situation would already be a lot better.  The majority of the time, this would prevent them from going around a long way to mine the correct tile from the correct direction, since generally the nearest tile of the ones that can be dug from is generally fairly close to the actual one.

So, the dwarf decides which tile to dig, then, if the dwarf is southeast of that tile, they should try to dig from the adjacent tile closest to being from the southeast as is available.  Simple, computationally cheap, and results in better behavior most of the time.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Asteranx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Digging Pattern
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 06:26:05 pm »

If dwarves would simply pick the nearest tile to them to dig from, rather than the northeast direction - without regard to actual pathfinding - the situation would already be a lot better.

This is my thinking as well.  Do pathfinding to put the dwarf _in_ the tile they're going to be working on, as if it were empty, then take one step back and work from there.  There are obviously some issues this wouldn't address, but it would keep a dwarf from pathing all around the fortress to dig the tile immediately next to their current location.
Pages: 1 2 [3]