Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Digging Pattern  (Read 3218 times)

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Digging Pattern
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:11 pm »

plus, what happens if the tiles around the one he was standing on were channeled out?

No, it just doesn't work.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 03:51:25 am »

While I don't think this problem is trivial, I also don't think it's quite as difficult as some people make out. Part of the problem is that there are several tangled issues going on at once; separating them out should make things clearer. Of course, perhaps someone has already done this, but I didn't see anything in a brief search.

Here are the problems as I see them, in order of severity:

1) Dwarves cause floods by digging into water or magma. (don't object to this just yet!)
2) Dwarves injure themselves and others by causing cave-ins
3) Dwarves trap themselves by digging themselves "into a corner". (to coin a phrase)
4) Dwarves often walk much further in order to dig out a tile than is necessary.
5) Dwarves often dig out a room incompletely because of their somewhat random approach.

Obviously the first, most severe problem has already been fixed. It's the most severe because it's the hardest to undo when it happens, requiring you to wall off portions of your fort very quickly in order to prevent the flood from spreading. It's been solved by simply aborting the dig just before it causes an accident; the dwarves have been given just enough common sense that they won't dig into warm or wet ground unless given explicit orders. This is a great solution (although it causes some repetitive user interactions).

The second problem happens simply because dwarves can't tell when they're about to cause a cave-in. It can be solved in exactly the same manner as the former problem. Any time digging out a single tile would cause a collapse, the tile (and perhaps the ones that would collapse) are marked as unstable and the job is canceled. This is not quite the ideal solution, as there is often a way to execute the dig orders in such a way that no collapse need happen, but it will do for a start. I'll discuss the more complex solution in a moment.

At first glance, the third problem looks to be as easy to solve as the first two. A little thought, however, and you will be able to think of scenarios where it's not quite so easy for the dwarf to figure out. The problem lies in how you figure out if you are trapped. If you can't figure out if you're trapped, you can't figure out whether you will be trapped in the future (once you've completed the job you're about to start). A good start would be to defined 'trapped' as being unable to reach some other location. Perhaps you are trapped if you can't reach the mayor's office, or if you can't reach your bedroom, or if you can't reach food and water. Of the possibilities I've considered, I like using the mayor's office best, but none of them are really very satisfactory, because what if you want to dig a defensive position in the middle of your fort? It might cut you off from your bedroom but not the mayor's office, or from food but not from your bedroom; you might find that some dwarves decline the job while others don't. On the other hand, in many cases it might be a good enough test to prevent most dwarves from getting trapped, especially from getting trapped in obvious places, but you have a problem that merely reissuing the order the way you would for damp stone or for unstable areas doesn't help; it'll still trap your dwarf. We need to get slightly more complicated. First, if completing a job would prevent _any_ dwarf from pathing back to the mayor's office then it's canceled and the tile is marked (much the way damp tiles are marked) as a bottleneck or something (it's hard to come up with a good word for this). The dwarf doing the job should consider all the possible places he can stand while doing the work, and only cancel the job on his account if he would get trapped while standing in all of them. Basically, we've added two extra steps here. We have to consider the position of all the dwarves (and visitors, but probably not invaders or wildlife) and not just the one doing the work, but also we need to make multiple checks for the one doing the work, one for each available tile he could stand on. Clearly if completing the job would trap other dwarves then it would be canceled even if the dwarf doing the job could move to a safe spot first, and the job would not need to be canceled if doing it would not trap anyone if the dwarf doing the job had a safe spot to do the job from.

The fourth problem is easy, and I have seen several people propose the correctly solution, including here in this thread. Rather than consider the adjacent tiles in a fixed order and choosing the first one the dwarf can get to, instead path to all of them and choose the shortest path.

The last issue people mention is not very serious, and personally I think he did it that way specifically to make large numbers of miners more efficient by increasing the number of tiles that can be worked as much as to avoid a more complicated solution. In fact, I'm not really sure that it's a problem per se, although I do agree that it is often annoying to have rooms that are partially dug out, and dug out in the least useful way. Some orderliness would be nice.

So, what about that more complicated solution that I mentioned? While I haven't worked out all the details or anything, you can easily see that each digging job can be a node in a directed acyclic graph, where the edges represent dependencies. For example, consider a long, one-tile-wide hallway. Each tile to be dug depends on it's neighbor being dug, making a chain all the way back to the one tile that is the exposed workface simply because you can't get to the middle squares until you've dug out the ones in front of them. More complicated situations often have no unique graph, the dwarves can dig them out in any one of many possible orders with the same results. What's interesting is that if we consider cases where a dwarf might get trapped or cause a cave-in, we see that there are ways to execute the orders so that nothing bad happens and that in these cases there are far fewer possible ways to create the graph. There will still be cases were someone gets trapped or causes a collapse, but generally it'll be because that's what the user wanted.

You can also see that once you have this graph, actually executing it is not particularly hard (although allowing multiple dwarves to dig in the same area involves having multiple simultaneous traversals of the graph that don't conflict or visit the same nodes more than once.) Creating the graph is more complicated, but I think it could and should be done. In fact, if Toady were to go for this solution, it would fix problems 2 through 5 all at once. Since number 5 is partially desirable, some fudging can be done when the dwarves actually do the digging, so that they don't always dig things in exactly the same order.

So, what's the downside? Well, implementing this might be quite difficult. It all depends on how the existing code is set up, how he stores what jobs are yet to be done, etc. Not much we can say about that without having the source code though. Also, a lot of what I've proposed adds pathfinding checks, often a substantial number of them. That won't make the game any faster, certainly.

I think the upsides outweigh the downsides, because micromanaging this kind of thing is very tedious. The dwarves can already do many things that make them look quite bright, but their inability to dig simple trenches without killing themselves breaks the user's suspension of disbelief; digging is something dwarves are supposed to be good at, especially in this post-Tolkien era.

I welcome feedback. Have I missed anything? Not made something clear?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 11:51:25 am »

We need to get slightly more complicated. First, if completing a job would prevent _any_ dwarf from pathing back to the mayor's office then it's canceled and the tile is marked (much the way damp tiles are marked) as a bottleneck or something (it's hard to come up with a good word for this).

Any dwarf?  You wouldn't be able to complete a wall dividing your fortress in half (or heck, building a wall that keep invaders out, but Urist McNotDeadHunter out there would get trapped).  Not to mention having to call pathfinding on every single dwarf in order to figure it out.  Plus, what if a dwarf is already trapped?

The dwarf doing the job should consider all the possible places he can stand while doing the work, and only cancel the job on his account if he would get trapped while standing in all of them.

Pray tell, how does a dwarf that is not trapped build a single wall and fail, because all sides would be equally blocked from accessing a single location?

The fourth problem is easy, and I have seen several people propose the correctly solution, including here in this thread. Rather than consider the adjacent tiles in a fixed order and choosing the first one the dwarf can get to, instead path to all of them and choose the shortest path.

There's a better way to do this.  Why call pathfinding (EXPENSIVE!!!!!) more than once?

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »

We need to get slightly more complicated. First, if completing a job would prevent _any_ dwarf from pathing back to the mayor's office then it's canceled and the tile is marked (much the way damp tiles are marked) as a bottleneck or something (it's hard to come up with a good word for this).

Any dwarf?  You wouldn't be able to complete a wall dividing your fortress in half (or heck, building a wall that keep invaders out, but Urist McNotDeadHunter out there would get trapped).  Not to mention having to call pathfinding on every single dwarf in order to figure it out.  Plus, what if a dwarf is already trapped?

Just like digging into damp or warm stone, you would simply have to confirm it. The UI for that could be a bit better, but that's a different matter.

As for already being trapped, sure. You certainly don't want that to prevent him from doing something to get himself out of it. I merely assume that Toady is smart enough to notice that if a dwarf is already trapped, he can still go ahead and do jobs that leave him trapped.

The dwarf doing the job should consider all the possible places he can stand while doing the work, and only cancel the job on his account if he would get trapped while standing in all of them.

Pray tell, how does a dwarf that is not trapped build a single wall and fail, because all sides would be equally blocked from accessing a single location?

Imagine a wall or a trench job which can be accessed from two sides. On one side the dwarf will be able trapped if he completes the job, on the other he will be able to path to wherever. If the dwarf considers both of those positions prior to starting the job, and only starts the job if he can stand somewhere where he won't be trapped, then he won't abort it.

There's a better way to do this.  Why call pathfinding (EXPENSIVE!!!!!) more than once?

Well, there's actually an optimization available here. When you're pathing to to multiple locations that are near each other, you don't have to do them independently. You simply keep running the pathing algorithm until the distance (or gradient) map includes all of the destinations. The result is no more expensive than finding a route to the furthest one. The same applies to routes with multiple possible starting locations, as used for figuring out if a job will trap a dwarf.

You're right though, anything that adds to the number of times the game computes routes will make the game slower. I said as much myself. However, I don't think that's a good reason to say that the task is impossible, or even that it will be very hard. It does mean that Toady will have to put some time into figuring out how to make pathing faster, but he's going to have to do that already. To be honest though, we really don't know how expensive pathing really is until someone does some profiling to get real measurements. I'm sure it's in the top ten, but we're all just guessing at the moment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »

Imagine a wall or a trench job which can be accessed from two sides. On one side the dwarf will be able trapped if he completes the job, on the other he will be able to path to wherever. If the dwarf considers both of those positions prior to starting the job, and only starts the job if he can stand somewhere where he won't be trapped, then he won't abort it.

You misunderstood, you said that the job would fail (be suspended) if there was NO safe side to work from.

Name a situation where there this would happen (that is, the job is suspended).

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 04:42:38 pm »

You misunderstood, you said that the job would fail (be suspended) if there was NO safe side to work from.

Name a situation where there this would happen (that is, the job is suspended).

Ah, I did misread that. My apologies. consider a raised area that's been undermined and is now only connected by a single ramp. If you trench out a bunch of tiles around the base of that ramp and then tell a dwarf to mine out the ramp, then he'll end up standing under the part that will collapse. None of the tiles left to him are safe, so he should abort the job.

TotalDewage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 02:21:09 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:53:36 pm by TotalDewage »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:00 am »

Anyone know the odds of some fix for this being incorporated in the latest release?
0 %

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:44 am »

The cave-in idea makes sense, but the rest of it is bunk due to lag. I wouldn't want the game to perform dozens of extra checks every time it needs to dig something just to find the fastest path. It would be an enormous drain on framerate.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:08 pm »

I think what he is talking about, is a Dungeon Keeper 2-esque system of mining. Imps would dig out whichever area you specified first, and then move on to the next room. They would claim the ground later, but they would go in the order that you usually designated first.
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 02:37:14 pm »

I think what he is talking about, is a Dungeon Keeper 2-esque system of mining. Imps would dig out whichever area you specified first, and then move on to the next room. They would claim the ground later, but they would go in the order that you usually designated first.

Which works great when you're essentially designating 1 tile at a time, DF designates whole areas at once, of various shapes, and aren't necessarily connected to anything that'll be dug out soon (if at all).

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 04:22:25 pm »

Uhh, you could designate entire rooms with a click and drag of the mouse in DK2.
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:44 pm »

Uhh, you could designate entire rooms with a click and drag of the mouse in DK2.

Been too long since I played.  It probably does a very cheap pathing of some kind from one corner to the other.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 06:05:56 am »

As for "area you must be able to reach" to avoid shutting yourself in when digging or constructing, how about "any meeting-hall"?

Would it be a bad thing to add special cases to the pathfinding algorithm when dwarves are digging, to look for "tile to dig is right next to me" and "tile to dig is one step away"? Those are probably the most common cases, and making them special should make it possible to skip running a full pathfind in many cases and could also make the approach direction saner in many cases, I think.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:00 am »

As for "area you must be able to reach" to avoid shutting yourself in when digging or constructing, how about "any meeting-hall"?

More appropriate for the Pathfinding thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3