Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dancing in the desert...  (Read 5023 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing in the desert...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 09:24:00 am »

Deserts right next to lush tropical forests are very hard to find, but make for a very fun map.

You end up with giant scorpions AND giant tigers! Not to mention wood.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:25 am »

I like playing on deserts except for two details that I would love.
1: They aren't 100% sand.  There's usually a few plants, and almost always spots of pebbles and such.
2: Dunes.  We need dunes.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 10:13:17 am »

Argh!  The aquifer I was promised is nowhere to be found.  So now I'm on a hot desert map without a single drop of water.  Well, this should be fun(tm).
Might try digging under all on-site biomes for the aquifer. If that doesn't work try all elevation levels. I think aquifers behave a little weird sometimes.

I actually backed up my save and ran reveal just to be sure.  That's not something I would normally do but I didn't want to waste any more time randomly digging around all over the map for something that isn't there.  Sure enough, no water.  I don't know what the deal is.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:24:46 am »

Deserts are great for hermit forts.  Since you only need water if your Dwarf gets injured, and an injured hermit Dwarf is doomed anyway, the lack of it won't hurt anything.  And those top sand layers are excellent for getting said hermit's mining skills up to snuff.
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:43 am »

Deserts right next to lush tropical forests are very hard to find, but make for a very fun map.

You end up with giant scorpions AND giant tigers! Not to mention wood.

I had a map exactly like this in another gameworld I have (got bored with it though and abandoned that fort), however, no giant scorpions showed up, just buttloads of camels.

If you want, I can post up the worldgen params and screenshot the location. Iron wasn't exactly abundant on that map however.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »

Most interesting desert I ever had was one with a small river that flooded every spring when the ice melted. Something to do with the timing of various biomes changing season, I think. In any case it was very interesting playing on that map and dealing with the seasonal floods.

Not sure if I still have it around somewhere or not. I'll have to go look.

A desert map with a river that floods in a predictable seasonal pattern?  You were playing in Egypt!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:47 pm »

Yeah, I even started building a pyramid.

Sadly, it looks like it got lost when I purged a bunch of my old between-versions mod folders.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »

i had a desert map with several (empty) murky pools and a fast filling aquifer. the pools didn't stay empty for long. too bad you can't change the global climate/environment.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 09:56:06 am »

Okay so being a Dune-atic I've gotta ask: is it possible to generate a world that's nothing but desert? I don't quite understand the subtleties of worldgen, but I have a feeling such a world might be rejected for not having enough variation.

(Another thing I don't quite get the finer points of is raw editing, which would of course need to be done in order to include sandworms (rideable, natch) and -trout (vermin). But that's perhaps something for another thread.)
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 10:25:50 am »

You certainly can create a desert-only world, but there will be no humans, elves, goblins, or dwarves for you. Gobbos and dorfs need mountain biomes to start a civilization, humans need grasslands, and elves need forests. Also, those biomes need to be calm.

So what you probably could get away with better is a mostly desert-only world. Or you could mod all the entities/creatures so that they'll settle in deserts.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 07:30:39 pm »

Or mod a new civilisation in which lives in the desert... men of the east i have seen around here.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 07:41:06 pm »

Desert elves maybe.  That get pissed off whenever you try to sell them glass.  That would be interesting.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »

Desert elves maybe.  That get pissed off whenever you try to sell them glass.  That would be interesting.

They already do for clear glass due to the pearlash/ash/wood. Though with sand-respecting elves they might get angry if you build farms over sand and infest it with blasphemous vegetation.

Aquatic elves would be funny. "So, I see you're still drinking liquids around here. You wanna go ahead and cut that out for me, bud?"

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 09:22:29 pm »

They already do for clear glass due to the pearlash/ash/wood. Though with sand-respecting elves they might get angry if you build farms over sand and infest it with blasphemous vegetation.

Aquatic elves would be funny. "So, I see you're still drinking liquids around here. You wanna go ahead and cut that out for me, bud?"

Underground elves.
"Stop mining already! You've already got enough dirt!"
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 11:15:01 am »

Underground elves.
"Stop mining already! You've already got enough dirt!"
Magma elves.

Too horrible to even contemplate.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 [2] 3