Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Cave Crawl, experimental. Good news, bad news: On hold  (Read 8524 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 6: Spell Up
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »

Yeah. I can get 10 Quick Shots in one turn if I downgrade, versus 2 Quick Shots and 2 normal shots. A quick shot barrage will totally destroy anything.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »

It'd kinda be like Betrayal at Krondor, with powering each spell to a certain level. I like it, since it makes sense, but it seems like there's not much of a bonus of firing at full power then, other than a slightly higher chance to hurt, and exp. ...Seems kinda inefficient.

It's situationally better, since we can fully recover mana after battles. If we're fighting a powerful being that can kill somebody every 2 turns, I'm going to want to throw as much mana at it as fast as possible.

However, I would like to still be able to gain xp from casting it at a weakened form. How about being able to cast 80% powered spells at 60% cost, 60% powered spells at 30% of the cost, and 30% powered spells for 10% of the cost? That way, I'd still be learning how to cast more efficiently as I gain experience with the spell.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49:41 am »

It'd kinda be like Betrayal at Krondor, with powering each spell to a certain level. I like it, since it makes sense, but it seems like there's not much of a bonus of firing at full power then, other than a slightly higher chance to hurt, and exp. ...Seems kinda inefficient.

It's situationally better, since we can fully recover mana after battles. If we're fighting a powerful being that can kill somebody every 2 turns, I'm going to want to throw as much mana at it as fast as possible.

However, I would like to still be able to gain xp from casting it at a weakened form. How about being able to cast 80% powered spells at 60% cost, 60% powered spells at 30% of the cost, and 30% powered spells for 10% of the cost? That way, I'd still be learning how to cast more efficiently as I gain experience with the spell.
I realize, but right now you only gain +x number to your spells, as opposed to the old system. Maybe as the spell upgrades, you use a higher percentage of your Int. That would make the system more useful.

Also, your numbers are very arbitrary. 80% for 60% Mana? Where did these numbers come from? But, whatever system you come up with, you should gain xp equal to the mana percentage times the power percentage.

So, 100% power * 100% mana = 100% xp
80% power * 60% mana = 48% xp

And so on.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »

The numbers were there for demonstration purposes. I've since rethought my viewpoint though: Spells should not get steadily less efficient as the caster gains more experience in using them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

The numbers were there for demonstration purposes. I've since rethought my viewpoint though: Spells should not get steadily less efficient as the caster gains more experience in using them.
... Agreed.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:36 pm »

Definitely.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2010, 08:42:49 am »

How about this: If the spells are going to get more expensive at higher levels, make the spells much more powerful as they go along.

So, if you're using 2% Int for Level 1, for 2 Mana, use 4% Int for Level 2 for 3 Mana.
That means that Mana increases by +1, while damage increases by a factor of 2, AND is dependent on your Intelligence.

You can switch how some spells use damage, but make them increase by more than the cost of Mana.

Example:

% = Percentage of Intelligence
n = Additional Damage
M = Mana Cost
Use (% + n) / M and see that it increases at each level.
(2 + 0) / 2 = 1
(4 + 0) / 3 = 1.333
(6 + 0) / 4 = 1.5
(2L) / (L + 1)

Whereas, right now, you have a spell like this:
(10 + 1) / 2 = 5.5
(10 + 2) / 3 = 4
(10 + 3) / 4 = 3.25
(L + 10) / (L + 1)

I think if you even do something like this, it'll be better:
(10 + 1) / 2 = 5.5
(11 + 2) / 3 = 4.333
(12 + 3) / 4 = 3.75
(13 + 4) / 5 = 3.4
(14 + 5) / 6 = 3.166
(10L + L - 1 + L) / (L + 1)

It becomes less efficient still, but it allows for much more powerful spells as well. It's just if you only increase by a set number for each additional Mana Point put in, instead of a percentile increase, it's not worth it.
This also makes spell levels more useful, since you can try and do less damage to less powerful creatures, or more powerful spells to bosses.

I think you should also allow xp at a decreased rate, something like: Spell Level / Max Spell Level * xp gained, since they are using a less powerful version of that spell.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »

I think the Int thing would work, but you'd have to work on the static as well, since right now 2% int would be almost totally ineffective (a fraction of a damage point). It'd only really become useful when you got godly int, hundreds of points or more.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

While I have read through your thoughts I don't have enough time to give a proper answer to them. Hopefully I can in two or three days.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Good news, bad news
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:01 am »

Good news, bad news.

Good news:
  • I've gotten a job.
  • I've gone through how the exp system, skill system and attribute system works.

Bad news:
  • Because of the job I will have less time to work on turns (ooh, shocker there) so the game will be put on hold. Think of each update as a pleasant surprise.
  • There will be no update today.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Good news, bad news: On hold
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2010, 12:14:32 pm »

Cool.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2010, 06:12:48 pm »

Congratulations on getting a job!
Er, so you know how the systems will work? Can you put it in the first post or summat when you have time?

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2010, 08:26:10 am »

Sure, as I get time. Might put everything I have too.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]