Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Cave Crawl, experimental. Good news, bad news: On hold  (Read 8536 times)

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn -2: Before it all began
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:15 am »

Cheddarius peaceful days on the farm was growing duller and duller. Plowing and tilting, seeding and harvesting day by day got more monotonous and took time better spent with the bow. Sometimes he wondered why he even bothered with the farm at all. He could just pack up and travel the lands instead. Seeing things under a new light or maybe just find some variation of the seed he currently had. Yes, that was what he was going to do. Cheddarius decided to travel the lands and search for more exotic seeds for his farm and maybe, just maybe, he would be able to use his bow once again.

The teachers at Knight School was at loss. The III was nothing like his precedent. While they studied hard in all the teachings a squire might need before ascending to knighthood, the III was a lazy bum that relied too much on his luck. Everyone knew of his luck, but the luckiness made him more slack than was accepted. When the history teacher had graded the III she got angry over the sheer luck and had a talk with the principal and other teachers. They all agreed that someone that barely passed all the classes wasn't of a knightly material. They then decided that the III had to be tested practically instead. They let him find some armor in a once forgotten armory and told him one thing. "Do a quest to prove your knighthood." And before he could argue with them he was kicked out of Knight School and with no place to go the III started to walk.

Knowing that the fastest way to wizard-hood is to gain a magical artifact is a fact. Knowing where to find one, not as easy. The next fastest way would be to dethrone the current arch-wizard in a fair and square duel of magical prowess. Possible, but not feasible. So, that would lead to one more option: to train oneself in a dangerous environment.
Since Frederick XIII came to this conclusion he had to decide where to train. Walking over to the giant globe that showed the worlds most magically active spots he began to spin it. Closing his eyes he let his index finger guide his way. As the globe slowed down and then stopped Frederick XIII peeked on where his index finger had landed. Just one word was written there: Cave. He thought this strange and decided to look it up in a book. Sure enough, he found one line under Cave.
Cave: Dangerous place. Magical artifact(?) distorts the surrounding.
Frederick XIII had found his possible artifact and a place to train on.

No action for you guys yet, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:15:51 pm by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn -1: When all met
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:53 am »

On a crossroad three men met. No one said a word but they all studied each other. While nothing was said they instinctively knew that nothing would happen as long as they didn't act hostile to each other. Before the silence became unbearable the man from north, clad in very fine armor spoke up: "So, where are you headed to?"
He spoke to no one in particular but that was enough to break the ice. The man from west, wearing a bow over his shoulder said: "I've heard of a place where exotic seeds can be found. The villages I spoke with said that seeds from that place had an otherworldly effect. Simple fruits might be larger than usual or wheat that never wither. The place is in a cave south of here."
The man from the east, resting on a staff said thoughtfully: "Ah yes, I have heard some rumors about that cave too. I hear it is because of an artifact deep within it that distorts space and time, making it possible to end up in all kinds of fascinating places. Something like walking in a maze with exits to other planes. And you?"
The northern man answers: "Oh, sounds exiting. I'm just going to the village south of here to help them retrieve a statuette that was stolen from a neighboring village."
The other two burst out in laughter, slaps the knight on the back and starts heading south.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:15:36 pm by KineseN »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:16 am »

Let us venture forth, then, my friends! To the cave!
Go with the others to the cave

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 10:13:44 am »

Let us venture forth, then, my friends! To the cave!
Go with the others to the cave
"... Screw the statuette. Let's go to the cave!"

To the cave.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

Anything underground is always better.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »

I'm going to continue my journey to the cave.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 0: The beginning
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

Spoiler: Mayor and Elder (click to show/hide)
The party walks down the muddy path and notice several signs, each warning about the dangers up ahead. As they reach the cave they see a shoddy group of farmers and two older men, one not as dirty (just marginally) and another one holding a cane, standing in front the entrance. They look nervous and jittery as if they could be attacked at any moment. As you walk onward the less dirty man walks towards you. Frederik XIII notice fear, anger and irritation over the mans expression.

M: "Are you idiots?! No, don't answer that. Are you blind?! Didn't you see the signs littered over the road that says this place is dangerous?"
K: "Now now. We just want to enter the cave and go on with our business. But if you really want to stand in our way we can just force our way. Your choice really."

This seem to make the man even angrier and he starts to curse for all his worth. The older man walk towards the man and tries to calm him down. As moments pass the cursing starts to slow down and at the end he sigh. As he calms the elder whisper something into his ear and his face get more cheerfully.

M: "Would you happen to be adventurers?"
C: "Not really."
M: "Even though you have weapons? Even though you look like you could take us down with no problem? I think not."
F: "Really, we just happened to have something done within this cave."
M: "Then maybe you help us. You see, we live in a village not far from here called This Village and from there we had an artifact statuette. It was stolen from us by a neighboring village called That Village, which is on the other side of this cave. We wonder if you could help us get it back? Of course, we don't expect you to work for free so you can keep anything you might find in the cave and you get five gold each for the statuette. What do you say?"
K: "Wait a minute, wasn't this what I wanted to ski---".

Sir Knightington III gets pulled back by Cheddarius and Frederik XIII. They start to discuss the matter with each other very seriously.

C: "Stop, why shouldn't we accept this? It's five gold! That is even more than I earned as a fortress guard."
F: "Yeah, shouldn't we at least consider the offer?".
K: "Fine, but I still think we should skip it. Besides, if they had that much gold there people should have gotten better clothes. I don't know, but I smell something rotten about this."

They turn back to the man.

M: "So, what do you say? Deal or no deal?"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 0: The beginning
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »

I say we agree to consider it, if we find That Village and the statuette is lightly guarded. I'm not promising to destroy an entire village, as I don't know the proper spell for that sort of thing yet.

(I'd also like to take it for myself if it's magical. Never underestimate a kleptomaniac wizard.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:58:09 pm by Nirur Torir »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »

I dunno. I think it's better if we ignore them. I've got this feeling that it's not their statuette at all...

Besides, wouldn't it be better to kill them for the gold, wizard? Burning down an entire village might be worse. Not that I want you to kill them.

I've got an idea!

Ask them several questions about the statuette, including those that only the REAL owners would know!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 05:33:21 pm »

Didn't you get the memo about acting like Stupid Good heroes so the possible-villains let us leave in peace? Then we come back once we've collected enough treasure to beat them.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 0.10: Questioning
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »

K: "I don't belive you. How can we know you aren't trying to fool us and steal it from the real owners?"
M: "Very well then. What do you want to know about it?"

OOC: I must say that it's fun when I successfully guide someone where I want. But then again, I do like when nothing goes my way, like slaying them and continue into the cave.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

"Who made the statuette? And what does it look like?"

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 0.20: Answering
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »

M: "I will answer your first question and show you the second.

The one who created the artifact was an ancestor to us, Akahan Frener, a mason. It is said that he had an idea on for the perfect statue. He began with a slab of dark grey stone and worked day and night on it. He was so fixed on a certain image that he never noticed that he went to far into the rock, but since he was stubborn he used what he had left and made the statuette. It isn't worth alot but it is our village treasure.

And now I will show you how it looks like. We have a yearly contest for the masons and their job is to replicate the statuette. We do have an example with us, last year winner actually."

The older man walks to them and shows the replica.

E: "Please, help us get it back."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »

> DO EET

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile