Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Cave Crawl, experimental. Good news, bad news: On hold  (Read 8539 times)

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 1: Cave entrance
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:12 am »

Seeing the opportunity, Cheddarius and Frederik XIII takes the chance to train a bit.

Frederick scans the surroundings for a small rock to practice on. He notice a suitable rock just besides Sir Knightington III and starts concentrating on lifting it.

d30 -> 26
Stone weight -> 1
26 vs 1 = Stone is lifted.

Lifting the rock is no problem for Frederick and he swings it with his mind left and right, up and down. Finally he shoots it up in the air, landing beside Cheddarius. Frederick gains 45 exp to Telekinesis, totaling to lvl 2, 72 exp.

Spoiler: Frederick XIII (click to show/hide)

Cheddarius who don't have a real target to practice on decide to just let loose a couple of arrows. The majority of them end up where he wants them, into the unexplored hall. The sudden fall of a rock startles him though and his last arrow hits the wall instead.

d30 -> 20

Cheddarius gain 36 exp to Bow mastery, totaling to Lvl 2, 72 exp.

Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)

Sir Knightington III does not care about something as trivial as training. No, he is immediately set his eyes on the heavy old bag. He pour out all it's content and examine what he finds.

3 unidentified potions: 2 murky red and one light green. Each weightless on it's own, Very light together.
One standard short bow: 1-3 dmg +1, 3ap cost. Very light.
One standard wooden dagger: 1-2 dmg, 2ap cost. Very light.
One unidentified book. Light.

Spoiler: Sir Knightington III (click to show/hide)

Seeing nothing of interest Knightington decides to look around for monsters instead. Walking toward the hall Sir Knightington III notice something.

It's a rat! It seems like it hasn't noticed your presence yet. Ho boy, finally a chance to prove yourself.

---
Forgot to add that the rat doesn't know you are there yet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:49:38 pm by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:39 am »

Anyone mind if I take the light green potion and the book?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:56 am »

Yes, but because it also reduce the ap cost by 1 you can attack with your special bow for only 2 ap.
Sweet.

Bah! Why do all these games love unidentified potions? We ever going to get a scroll of identify?
Web, do you mind if I fight the rat too, or should I just practice?
You can have the stuff, NT, but if it gets identified and turns out that they're a spellbook of Instant Group Kill and a potion of Experience Doubling, I trust you'll find a way to share them fairly?

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2010, 10:49:32 am »

By the way, identifying an item does not require a scroll of identify. Sure, using a scroll is safer and quicker but you can attempt to identify it yourself. In the case of unknown potions you could try to identify one, but whether you are right or not that potion name will be what you identified it as until you test it yourself.

Oh, I also noticed something much more advantageous for you, Cheddarius. Attacking with your bow cost you 3 ap, the dex bonus reduce it to 2 ap and with Quick Shot this turn it into 1 ap. In other words, you can attack four times for the cost of 4 ap and 24 mp if you activate Quick Shot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:51:21 am by KineseN »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 10:55:47 am »

If Webadict is okay with it:
> Quick shot 4 arrows for epic win
If not:
> identify stuff, practice bow

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:22 am »

I taste a tiny bit of the potion, seeing if I feel any different. I suspect it's either a mana potion or a poison cure potion.

I'll also read the title of the book as I do so. My companions can handle the rat without me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2010, 11:52:07 am »

Petty book and potions!

Bah! I take the dagger and throw it at the rat before Cheddarius shoots his bow. I then prepare a defensive stance.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »

You should be able to identify tons of things. I mean, it's not like reading a book's title is that strenuous...

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 2: Rattatouille
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »

For now I'm going to be nice and let Webadict to retroactively pick up the dagger just because I can.
---
Sir Knightington III throws his wooden dagger towards the rat.

K: 20 -> 18
r: 5 -> 1
18 vs 1 = Hit
1-2dmg +0 + 1-3dmg + 1-3dmg-> 1dmg + 3dmg + 3dmg
7dmg vs 5hp = Rat, dead.

The rat never saw the dagger coming. Before it even had time to squeak it fell down dead. Sir Knightington III receive 45 exp in Throwing, totaling to lvl 0, 45 exp. He then decides to take more defensive stance.

Seeing the dead body III decide to loot it. But instead he finds:

Three more rats.

Cheddarius and Frederick III on the other hand are arguing what the newly found items might be. On the murky red potion Cheddarius claim it to be a potion of blood, but Frederick is sure that it isn't in this case. He knows that the potion in fact is a healing potion.

C: 25 -> 9
F: 30 -> 23
Murky red potion: Int needed to identify -> 10
9 vs 23 vs 10 = Frederick successfully identifies the murky red potion as a healing potion while also gaining 45 to Identify, totaling to lvl 0, 45 exp.

With the light green potion both are uncertain. None of them dare to make a statement on this one.
C: 25 -> 2
F: 30 -> 8
Light green potion: Int needed to identify -> 10
2 vs 8 vs 10 = Light green potion will be known as a Light green potion.

But because Frederick doesn't want an unidentified potion he decides to taste it.
F: 20 -> 15
Light green potion: End needed to identify -> 10
15 vs 10 = Frederick successfully identifies the light green potion as a poison while also gaining 36 to Alchemy, totaling to lvl 0, 36 exp. Frederick III is also lightly poisoned.

On the last item Cheddarius is sure he knows what kind of book this is. This makes Frederick furious because he should have known.
C: 25 -> 16
F: 30 -> 14
Book: Int needed to identify -> 15
16 vs 14 vs 15 = Cheddarius successfully identifies the book as a Book of Earth while also gaining 36 to Identify, totaling to lvl 0, 36 exp.

As Frederick collects the books and potions, they both becomes aware that Knightington might need some help.

---
Got some more to do. The turn itself is done but I've yet to update stat exp gains. And I spent some time trying to figure out why I can't get the first image to show.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:27:44 pm by KineseN »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 1: Rattatouille
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2010, 03:44:03 pm »

Heh heh. I have potion problems in roguelikes as well.

I cast Arcane First on a rat, aiming for one that my companions aren't going after.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 2: Rattatouille
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »

Man, I spent 20 minutes on that first image trying to figure out why it didn't show up like the others in preview mode. Then when I give up and post the turn it shows up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:27:57 pm by KineseN »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2010, 03:56:00 pm »

Spoiler: Identification (click to show/hide)
>quick shot up to 4 arrows at the rats

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 2.10: Book of Earth and it's origin
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »

Well what do we have here? I had no idea that there already was a written book under that name. And here I thought I had an unique naming sense.

Seriously though. I really had no idea that this book existed. I might read it just because.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:31 pm »

I didn't either. I figured there probably was one with a name like "Book of Earth" and I googled it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »

I rush the rats, to give a slight scare! I then slice off the closest one's head.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11