Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Cave Crawl, experimental. Good news, bad news: On hold  (Read 8520 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 5: Ouch-ouch-ouch
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2010, 12:56:43 am »

You still have 17 health. You're tied for most health, actually. Keep tanking; if you get to 12 or so, retreat and meditate and I'll try to take out the demon ratman.
Yeah, well, fine. But I'm the one taking the boss.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2010, 01:06:47 am »

That's why I'm recommending that you get to 12. I considered 10 or less, but that's only really for me, since I'm not fighting the boss and I'm ranged.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2010, 04:19:48 am »

Woops, what a miss. Fixing it now.

The AP cost for your weapons are already stated on the first page second post, your bow costing 3 ap to use normally, but with your dex bonus that cost has been reduced by one. Whenever you use Quick Shot your attacks cost 1 ap and 5 mana instead.

With the old AP rules, one square of movement was equal to one ap and you could only use whatever ap you had for the turn. With the newer rules movement is omitted and any action with a cost in form of hp/mp/ap will be written out on the combat log.

Quote from: Old
The reason why your Quick Shot still cost that much is because I don't classify it as a spell, but I might apply the mana change for every skill instead. There won't be much to change and you would get a refund.

I have decided to make everything that use mana now cost 1 + lvl, no matter if it is a spell or an attack. This mean that you got your refund of 4 mana.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:55:14 am by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2010, 06:57:50 pm »

Awesome, thanks!

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »

Just don't forget to give an action, otherwise I will set your last action on repeat.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2010, 07:20:49 pm »

Oh yeah, oops. >_>
> Deadeye Demon Ratman: 3 AP
> Quick Shot Demon Ratman: 2 AP, -3 Mana
> Shoot Demon Ratman: 3 AP

I'm predicting an average 28 damage round, which should knock the demon ratman down to 45 health. Two more rounds might finish him. Webadict, you should be able to retreat next turn, or later if you have decent health.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2010, 07:47:25 pm »

Oh yeah, oops. >_>
> Deadeye Demon Ratman: 3 AP
> Shoot Demon Ratman: 3 AP

I'm predicting an average 28 damage round, which should knock the demon ratman down to 45 health. Two more rounds might finish him. Webadict, you should be able to retreat next turn, or later if you have decent health.
If possible, I'll move out of his way.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2010, 07:06:16 am »

Pre-turn status:
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sir Knightington III (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Frederick XIII (click to show/hide)

Repositioning himself, Frederick is not satisfied with his last attempt to conjure several Arcane Fists and tries again.

F: Int31 > 11

Yet again he fails but this time the Fist isn't transparent. He aims for the uninjured rat.

F: Int31 > 21
r: Spr5 > 2
-4mp
Arcane Fist: 3+3dmg - 2%3 > 6dmg

The rat is squeezed. Frederick XIII gains 36 exp to Arcane Fist, totaling to lvl 4 and 16 exp. Frustrated by his unluckiness he decides to try again.

F: Int31 > 20

Success. Frederick finally figured out a way to summon atleast one more Arcane Fist, one looks normal while the other looks a bit transparent still and the Fists follow the movements of his both hands. He then name this sub-type of Arcane Fist as Multi-Arcane Fist. With these two Fists he squeeze the one close to him and the one close to Cheddarius.

F: Int31 > 3
r: Spr5 > 3
-1mp
Multi-Arcane Fist 1: 3dmg - 3%3 > 2dmg

F: Int31 > 9 -2 from transparent fist
r: Spr5 > 4
-1mp
Multi-Arcane Fist 2: 3dmg - 4%3 > 2dmg

Frederick still lack in control of his newly invented spell and only hurts the rats abit. Luckily one of the rats end up dead. Frederick XIII gains 9 exp to Multi-Arcane Fist, totaling to lvl 0 and 9 exp.

Suddenly he hear a cry of pain from Knightington. He can't really make out how damaged he is from this distance but from the cry he figures that Knightington might need help. Frederick not being a fighter of any kind can only help him by mending Knightingtons wounds.

F: Spr30 > 29
K: Spr10 > 4
-4mp
Mend Wound: 3+3hp + 4%5 > 6hp

You gain 66 exp to Mend Wounds, totaling to lvl 3 and 84 exp.

The sudden surge of energy flows into Knightington making him feel much better and more daring he tries to feint an attack and then tries to sidestep to his right side. Some of his luck has left him though.

K: Cha15 > 3
R: Cha50 > 42
Feint: 3 vs 42 = Fail

It doesn't fall for his feint and has no problem keeping him in sight. Still, Sir Knightington III strikes at the RatMan.

K: Dex20 + 1 Sword Mastery> 13
R: Agi50 > 23
Sword swing: 13 vs 23 = Miss
-3ap

Not one to give up Knightington tries to slam his shield against it, aiming for the head.

K: Dex20 > 18
R: Agi50 > 12
18 vs 12 = Hit
-3ap
Shield Slam: 1dmg + 2 (Shield bonus) + 3 (Str bonus) > 2dmg

The aim is of by a mile hitting the right side of the RatMan. The hit is shallow too, not good enough to wind him. Sir Knightington III gains 45 exp to Shield Slam, totaling to lvl 0 and 45 exp.

Cheddarius, aware of the new situation by the shout of Knightington position himself for a better aim. He calm himself down and takes a deep breath, letting nothing disturb his focus. As seconds pass he breaths slower and slower and the surroundings fades until only his target remains in his aim. He releases the arrow.

C: Dex31 + 2 Bow Mastery > 18 + 60% from Deadeye
R: Agi50 > 4
29 vs 4 = Hit
-2ap
Bow dmg: 1-5dmg + 2 (Bow bonus) + 3 (Dex bonus) + 1-3dmg (Unknown aggressor)> 5dmg + 50% (critical)

The RatMan fails to notice the arrow while it is occupied with Knightington. As the arrow hit its head a horrifying shriek can be heard from it. Something then starts to ooze from the wound, but Cheddarius has no time to study that because the RatMan is now looking at him. Cheddarius gains 27 exp to Deadeye, totaling to lvl 2 and 72 exp.

Being the target of a Demonic Ratman is not on Cheddarius to-do list and let off two Quick Shots.

C: Dex31 > 1

With no thought on what he does Cheddarius easily let them off, but the aim seem a little off.

C: Dex31 + 2 Bow Mastery > 27 - 2 accuracy
R: Agi50 > 22
25 vs 22 = Hit
-1ap
Bow dmg: 1-5dmg + 2 (Bow bonus) + 3 (Dex bonus) - 15% (Quick Shot)> 2dmg

C: Dex31 + 2 Bow Mastery > 32 - 2 accuracy
R: Agi50 > 13
30 vs 13 = Hit
-1ap
Bow dmg: 1-5dmg + 2 (Bow bonus) + 3 (Dex bonus) - 15% (Quick Shot)> 6dmg

The RatMan was not ready for this barrage and tries to protect itself as best as it can with its left arm. both of them hits its lower left arm, making it harder for the RatMan to exert strength. Cheddarius gains 45 exp and 66 exp to Quick Shot, totaling to lvl 4 and 10 exp. But the barrage has still not come to an end. Pulling his last strength he successfully release two more arrows.

C: Dex 31 > 9

As he release the arrows something is nagging in the back of his head, but he pushes it away and readies himself for what will come.

C: Dex31 + 2 Bow Mastery > 8
R: Agi50 > 44
Bow dmg: 30 vs 13 = Miss
-2ap

C: Dex31 + 2 Bow Mastery > 29
R: Agi50 > 33
Bow dmg: 30 vs 13 = Miss
-2ap

Sadly for Cheddarius the RatMan barely dodge one while the other one never had a chance to hit its target.

The RatMan struggles on who attack. It knows that the ranger is the greater danger but the fighter is closer.

R: Int50 > 31
R: Cha50 > 35

It looks at the ranger and then back at the fighter. In a click it decides to go for the closest target, the fighter.

R: Dex50 > 37 - 2 accuracy
K: Agi20 > 8
35 vs 8 = Hit
Right Paw: 1-6dmg + 5 (Str bonus) > 5dmg

The attack doesn't go the way the RatMan want it to, only hitting the fighters big toe. While the fighter is lucky to have avoided it hitting something vital the big toe is not. The sheer force rips it of, making the fighter scream again. The RatMan goes for another attack. Sir Knightington III gains 27 exp to Fatally Lucky, gaining back 5 temporary luck, totaling to lvl 1 and 99 exp.

Spoiler: Demonic Ratman (click to show/hide)

R: Dex50 > 34
K: Agi20 > 4
34 vs 4 = Hit
Left Paw: 1-6dmg + 3 (Str bonus) > 8dmg

Trying to hamper the figthers movement the RatMan aims yet again at the just healed wound. The fighter screams in agony and will have problems with movement. Sir Knightington III gains 45 exp to Fatally Lucky, gaining an additional 5 temporary luck, totaling to lvl 2 and 44 exp.

The rat decides to attack Cheddarius.

r: Dex5> 4
C: Agi31 > 13 + 1dodge
Rat Bite: 4 vs 14 = Miss

But the rat misses. Cheddarius gains 27 exp to Dodge, totaling to lvl 1 and 54 exp.

Spoiler: Rat (click to show/hide)

Frederick feels fine.
F: End20 -> 18
Needed poison resistance: 5
18 vs 5 = Resist

Frederick regains some health and mana.
F: Spr30*10%-> 3
Frederick regains 3 points of health and mana.

Post-turn stats:

Items in the area:
Spoiler: First room (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Second room (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Secret room in SR (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: West hall of SR (click to show/hide)

___
Think I got everything right. Do point out any inconsistencies you find.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:24:30 pm by KineseN »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Crawl, experimental. Turn 6: Spell Up
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47:30 am »

F: Spr30 > 29
K: Spr10 > 4
-4mp
Mend Wound: 3+3hp + 4%5 > 6hp
What would have happened if he had beaten my Spr roll?
I think my poison should be gone now.

I focus everything on healing Sir Knightington III.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:31 am »

Your spirit roll determine how much additional hp you can heal while the target spirit roll is how much of the additional hp it can take.
In this turn you could heal for 3 (10% of 30 Spr) + 3 (Mend Wound bonus) + 3 (10% of Int bonus hp rounded) = 9hp.
Webadict could take at most 2 additional hp, but because of the roll he didn't get one at all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:14:28 am by KineseN »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2010, 09:18:28 am »

Attack the Ratman!

To the pain!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2010, 10:11:49 am »

Shoot the Demonic Ratman thrice
Er, the magic system seems kind of weird. I mean, the immense mana cost increase for leveling means that at level 1, one would probably want to not use it, in order to save cheap skills for only 1 mana, which just seems unintuitive. Or does the increase in efficacy negate that?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:37 am »

I'm really hoping that the stat gains will help balance out the increased costs, preventing me from draining my entire mana pool in a single turn of casting level 10 spells.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:31 am »

While I really haven't done any graphs over spell cost vs damage I do know about the mana cost.

Spoiler: Possible solutions (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: On your question if the increase of efficiency negates the higher cost for spells I say I don't think so, at least not anymore.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:47:33 pm by KineseN »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »

It'd kinda be like Betrayal at Krondor, with powering each spell to a certain level. I like it, since it makes sense, but it seems like there's not much of a bonus of firing at full power then, other than a slightly higher chance to hurt, and exp. ...Seems kinda inefficient.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11