Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What have the goblins done for YOU lately?  (Read 1228 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What have the goblins done for YOU lately?
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:10 pm »

Aside from their regular deliveries of metal and trade goods, what helpful things have goblins done for you?

I ask this because an ambush just killed one of the cats that had been irking me for a while, and the other cat is meandering around.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What have the goblins done for YOU lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »

My Duke, duke consort, and tax collector, all guilty of sentencing Soldiers to unwarranted amounts of time for not filling out siege weapon construction mandates found themselves outside with the door locked while in the midst of a siege.

The dwarves threw a party immediately after they died.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »

I would like to thank my goblins for coming in through the countess' room which had a conveniently open door. I guess I forgot to install that window she really wanted, it's a shame those 4 dwarves she sentenced for it died for nothing then.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »

I would like to thank the Goblins for badly injuring not just the Dwarf Outpost Liason. But The Human Diplomat AND the elf diplomat.

thanks guys.

See you next multi-Cultural Siege day at RiskedAbbeys.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:36:19 pm »

I'm trying to work out a way of forcing them to clear pike out of a river.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:12:26 pm »

My GCS turned a bunch of them into some beautiful silk (and left the goblinite to boot, which is great as I think I'm mined out on most metals in this fort), which I then wove, dyed, and made into masterwork dresses which I then decorated with goblin bone, 2 dresses bought out a lategame caravan. A whole new spin on goblin silk.

Oh, they also wiped out a few punk kids that wouldn't listen to my all dwarves stay indoors order. I gave their parents a native gold statue and all was forgotten.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:22:48 pm »

My deathtraps have been rather rusty lately. My underlings are questioning even building more if the goblins don't come. Thankfully, their purpose was justified.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

If it hadn't been the orcs, it would have been the goblins. My fortress has been in the middle of a recession. Unfortunately, they finished all of my projects before the tax collector showed up, so there was just no work for them to do. Suddenly, six orc squads charged the fortress. After being... greeted by my military, several of whom gained their first title that day, they brought over 1500 new jobs to my fortress.

They've also contributed quite a bit of fresh meat to my forts over the year, and one time even beat down a megabeast who had the gall to spawn on top of them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:38:33 am »

They've all but cured the cave adaption in my dwarves, since each goblin left all his belongings out on the grass, and each one has to be carried inside separately (I think it's a religious thing, that they can't hold a silk sock in each hand or something).

They also cheered up the champions who were getting bored rolling around the barracks.  Its important to keep steel-covered killing machines happy, especially when they drink the same booze as the lazy mayor.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:53:31 am »

I will go with orcs instead of goblins, but they helped give me the greatest pet ever:  A cat that in the first year got wounded by the first siege (mangled- leg, eye, and tail? plus a bunch of broken yellows that never healed).  I say this is the greatest pet ever because it always seemed to survive future sieges despite it making 2 feet before passing out and never wanting to go inside.  I loved watching that cat stumble around outside the walls oblivious of orcs screaming for cat meat charging it down under hails of xbow fire that never ended.

All hail the cat!

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 11:37:48 am »

They provide entertainment to my dwarves by endlessly running through my front door in neat waves with a few months in between them.  The lucky ones come in first and get caught.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:49:54 am »

They tested out the automated defenses my predecessor made in a succession game.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »

Nothing!  They haven't showed up in a few years.

I've been working on a megatower, so I haven't even been able to take advantage of their absence.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 01:13:50 pm »

I would like to thank the goblins for leaving their rotting carcasses lying around on my carefully placed stone and glass floors and for jamming up my weapon traps.  Cleaning up after these bungholes is a full time job.  You know you'd think they'd get the hint after a while.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 01:38:45 pm »

My goblins haven't done squat for me, except that one ambush where I moddod them to drop masterwork goblinite statues on death.

My orcs, however, tested my Drowning Depot. FOR FREE!

my metalsmith then hit a mood, and demanded metal, so yay for Orcinite!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2