Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Housing, post your best.  (Read 1734 times)

Drinkwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Housing, post your best.
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:01:05 pm »

I need some inspiration for my forts housing complex, so I'm turning to you people.

Post pics of your best housing setups, the ones that look cool, the ones that cram as many dwarves as possible into as little space as possible, the incredibly high value ones, he best you've ever managed, the kind built for defense... anything is welcome.
California is even further away than last year :<.
That's plate tectonics for you...

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Housing, post your best.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »

Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

MCHamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »

I like spacious homes for my common Dwarves, but not TOO spacious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sanity is for the weak.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »

All of my non-noble dwarves live in my giant-ass tower. There's 20 floors of 4 2x2 and 4 3x3 rooms each, and then there's another ten floors of four larger rooms (7-diameter circles) for those who can afford them.

The small rooms have a single cabinet; the larger ones start with two cabinets and a coffer, and may receive additional furniture if needed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »

Hahaha, Skyrender, that looks like a vacation brochure. . .
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Drinkwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-9765-livingquarters

Holy crap!!! I.... I hope to achieve such a level of excellence one day.
California is even further away than last year :<.
That's plate tectonics for you...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:36:55 am »

You too can achieve it, if you're willing to spend 100+ years in the same fortress!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 11:00:19 am »

I feel the best living quarter space is a series of 3x2 rooms. It gives the opportunity to have a wide range of values to your rooms based on the quality and materials of the contents. Of course this is all dependent on what the walls and floors are made of.

This design houses 80 dwarves and is capable of handling tantrums pretty well.
Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O
O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O
OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO...OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO
OS......................................D...D......................................SO
OS......................................D...D......................................SO
OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO...OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO▲▲▲OODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOOODOO
O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...OOFOO...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O
O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...OBBBO...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O...O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO<OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Key: O=Wall, S=Statue, B=Ballista, ▲=Up Ramp, F=Fortification, D=Door, <=Stairs

You will note that the main hall is covered by a ballista. As long as it is a direct route to your "Siege Quarters", a centralized location where your siege operatiors sleep, you will have respond times quick enough to deal with tantrums as they occur. The doors on each side hall prevent things from getting too completely out of hand. I advise against having more than 100 dwarves in one "wing", as that starts to put too many eggs in one basket. 80 seems like a good number for me before I build another wing, since usually I have to adjust my production to make my fortress more efficient at around that number, and it's easier just to add a new living quarters wing onto the expansion plans then.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:03 am »

You too can achieve it, if you're willing to spend 100+ years in the same fortress!
As of the latest map upload year 513, he've been working for 212 years.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 01:43:59 pm »

One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 07:52:43 pm »

I just use 3x3 off a 2-3 wide corridor (branching off either a set of stairs or a major hallway), though I haven't really played any single fortress for more than a few years, so in time I may come to a better design.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »

You got any 3D views to share?  You've got some interesting architecture and I'm having trouble picturing it all at once.