Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GCS  (Read 1390 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:49:37 pm »

I've been messing with the world gen params to make ideal worlds for me with lots of mountain features, but very few Z-levels.  I have no trouble genning a world that has a 5x5 embarks with flux, lava, and mountain features and low cliffs.  The only problem is I can never seem to get a chasm or bottomless pit to spawn me a Giant Cave Spider.  Do I need altitudes higher than 301 to get them?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: GCS
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:55:46 pm »

Have you fully explored the pit or chasm?  GCS are invisible when you first embark, you don't know they're there until a dwarf bumps into them.  (And then dies horribly, of course)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »

GCSes start stealthed.
You can't be sure if you've got them or not until you've inspected every level of a pit.

If you have got one you should see random corpses after a while, or some poor woodland critter will stumble upon the web or the thing itself.

Gah, ninja'd.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:54:49 pm »

If you have got one you should see random corpses after a while

I'm not sure that actually happens - the only thing I've observed is that vermin die when they touch visible webs, and that many chasm creatures (such as ratmen and naked mole dogs) only live for 2-3 years before dying of old age.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »

If you have got one you should see random corpses after a while

I'm not sure that actually happens - the only thing I've observed is that vermin die when they touch visible webs, and that many chasm creatures (such as ratmen and naked mole dogs) only live for 2-3 years before dying of old age.

Are they replaced by new spawns and/or do they breed in the wild?

My current fort has a pit with a single diagonal breach but there's nothing in there on that level (I rushed it with my military.)

It's been about 4 years now though and maybe I've just outlived everything in there?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:08:43 pm »

You can use Dwarf Companion to check if there are any hidden GCS on your map
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:09:03 pm »

Well I sorta use Dwarf Companion to check to see if a GCS even exists.  Haven't seen a single one yet outside of dwarf heaven.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:26:01 pm »

IIRC, naked mole dogs do breed, but ratmen don't. Giant bats and the OTHER GCS also breed, and make excellent defense creatures if you manage to catch a female.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 05:36:13 pm »

A nice interesting chasm will have loads. Dwarf heaven's had at least four discovered in my current game.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

I had a map with a chasm, and I didn't think I had a GCS, but I looked in my stocks menu in the (z)tatus for my silks, because I wanted to know what silks I had. Lo and behold, I found out there was GCS silk somewhere on the map, but after a thorough search, I couldn't find it.

Keep that in mind when seeking GCSs.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »

I had a map with a chasm, and I didn't think I had a GCS, but I looked in my stocks menu in the (z)tatus for my silks, because I wanted to know what silks I had. Lo and behold, I found out there was GCS silk somewhere on the map, but after a thorough search, I couldn't find it.

You can zoom in on an object from the stocks screen. You know that, right?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »

I've had tons of pits with GCS web, but no GCS, I'm not even sure if I have one in my current fort. Going to have to use some sacrifice animals sometime.

I don't think I've ever had a chasm with GCS in it though.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:05 pm »

i have seen GCS only once- at the end of a chasm, on the surface outside the chasm. both the spider and its web were stealthed until some wandering cats found em. turned out i had TWO of em, a fact i found when the reclaim team went in. the original 7 all died from the spider walking over to where i had dug the fortress entrance. it was a smaller map (4x4).

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

I played the dwarf heaven map, and it had three GCS. One in the pit, one above the chasm and one inside the chasm. We found the one above the chasm first, because it decided to say hello to my liaison and om nom nom him. I had to play that map with no trade liaison!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 11:37:55 pm »

Let me lay it hard, if there is no gcs, there is no web, it must that the gcs is avoiding you, or is on the part of the web above the chasm...
Pages: [1] 2