Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Survival - The Fight for Life. 1st Generation, Round 3 Over!  (Read 3441 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survival - The Fight for Life. 1st Generation, Round 3 Over!
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:20 am »

I need 6 or so players to test a game I've been wanting to run.

You will be a group of animals, relatively distinct genetic populations fighting over limited resources (females, food, whatever). Conflicts are common, but fights are lethal, so it is important to choose your battles if you wish your progeny to be successful. The game is played over 5 rounds of 5 days each. There will likely be a break on weekends while players think about the next round or talk about the last one.

Setup:
Every day (24 hour period), I will randomly pair up the players into challenges. Those who know their opponents will be told their names, the others will be told the challenge is a "surprise". It will be about half and half (attacker knows the identity of challenged, defender does not know the identity of attack. You don't get to choose which you are). In the case of an odd number of players, one player will get a by. If you do not declare an action, it is assumed you are "submitting".

You can then choose to take one of two actions - Submit, or Fight. In addition, each character gets 3 "progeny" points at the beginning of the game.

The results will work like so:

Fight - Fight. Both players die, lose 3 points, and are removed from the round.
Fight - Submit. Winning player gets 2 points, losing player loses a point.
Submit - Submit. No change in points.

If you have negative points, you are removed from the round. At the end of each round, your character dies. At the beginning of each round, you get to control new character's equal to your points from the previous round. Each of these character's start with 3 points.

This is round one - if you wish to play, make it interesting - give us a name and short description.

Note, there will also be 2 special characters controlled by myself.
Karsk - Large, aggressive, and quick-tempered, Karsk ALWAYS chooses to fight.
Pweef - Small and cute, Pweef will ALWAYS submit. His eyes beg you not to hurt him.

Current Generation:
5 - Karsk - Aggro Computer (CPU)
2 - Pweef - Adorable Computer (CPU)
3 - Ilwrathi - Predatory Spiders (Pillow_Killer)
0 - Charyptys - Noble being (Akroma) DEAD. ELIMINATED.
0 - Fuchswolein - Underdog Fox-wolf (Knightedskull) DEAD. ELIMINATED.
2 - Bob - Spiky Metallic Mecomposer (Strife26)
5 - Jell-o Feesh - Floppy Stingy Goo (Psyco Jelly)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:47:38 am by GlyphGryph »

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival - A game of natural selection
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:28 am »

Do want in
Ilwrathi, predatory, arachnoid beings. They always fight other species and never run.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:40:12 pm »

Note that though you describe yourself that way in your description, you don't actually NEED to always fight. For example, if you attack a Krask who IS constrained to always. If you'd like, though, I suppose I could change your "default" action to fight if you want me to (and anyone else who would prefer that, should they not get back to me in time).

Also, the Ilwrath DID submit to the ur-quan, remember that as well. :P

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:02:44 pm »

I shall play the noble Charyptys and his more than potent offspring
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:34:04 pm »

I shall play as a lone mixed breed creature of fox and wolf, with fox tail.  Pup hood was rough as his mother thought he would not survive and left for abandon. 
He proved his birth-giver wrong and is now mature enough to take on things bigger than squirrels, hopefully.

Known among the rodent kingdom as "Fuchswolein "

He hopes to find a mate that wont reject him and tear his face off.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:15:11 pm by knightedskull »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:04:35 pm »

Come on, we still need 2 more!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:13:55 pm »

Bob: Metalic in nature, about the size of a pillow, functions as a large decomposer. Bobs are usually docile, but will defend themselves with menacing spikes.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: Survival - FIGHT or FLEE. 1 more player needed!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:04:14 am »

Jell-o feesh - A stingy, floppy pile of organic material.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival - FIGHT or FLEE. Setting up...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:22:12 am »

Okay, I need everyone to send me their default actions, should they not get to the computer on a given day in time to send one. We'll do a test round today, first real round Monday - You are all being sent your battle options, just pm me your action response. When everyone has submitted or the day ends, I will post the results of the first conflict.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:24:57 am by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival - The Fight for Life. Test round, start!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:30:06 am »

Waiting on knighted, he has until 10am tomorrow morning, and then I will announce the results.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 11:03:14 am »

Results of the previous days combat!

Charyptys stumbles across Bob in the wilderness, and flies at him before Bob even has a chance to identify the challenger. Bob waves his metallic spikes and launches himself at the assailant. They tangle for a short while, and then both pull off. Charyptys has managed to penetrate Bob's defenses and land a lethal strike, after much effort, but it was not without consequences. He has been impaled several times, and he only stands victorious for a short time before succumbing to the blood loss and passing on.

Charyptys, noble being, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.
Bob, spiky metallic decomposer, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.

The sole remaining Ilwrathi in the area kreeps forward, seeking opportunities. He finds one in Fuchswolein, a weak looking fox creature. Easy prey, he thinks, as he leaps to the attack. Fuchswolein, however, is not caught completely unawares. At the last second, he turns and strikes back, proving far more ferocious than the Ilwrathi suspected. They struggle for a while, teeth and fangs, claw to claw, before the Ilwrathi lies dead on the ground. Fuchswolein, however, can feel the spider's poison creeping through his veins, and knows he does not have long to live. He slinks off into the undergrowth to die.

Ilwrathi, predatory spider creature, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.
Fuchswolein, fox-wolf hybrid, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.

Karsk prowls the wilderness, looking for weaker beings to beat up and intimidate. It does not take long before he stumbles across the strange Jell-o Feesh. for some reason, the very existance of such a creature in HIS forest, when it clearly belongs in the sea or something, sends him into a rage, and he flies into an uncontrolled attack. Jell-o Feesh senses the danger, and responds in kind, flopping towards his opponent and reaching out with dozens of deadly stingers. Karsk cuts through the pain and poison to tear the blob to shreds, but he can not fight its effects forever. As his rage passes, he lets out a howl of pain as he begins to convulse and falls over dead amongst the gooey remains of his enemy.

Karsk, super aggressive computer, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.
Jell-o Feesh, stingy blob, has been killed! 3 points lost, 0 points remain.

Round 1 is over! Results:

All players have died except Pweef, who got the by! Pweef goes on to procreate and eventually take over the planet with his pacifistic progeny. Hurrah for peace!

Okay, everyone, thats the end of the Test Round, and I think you all learned a lesson. The actual game will start on Wednesday after my finals, and in light of this development the first round will only last 3 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). Your characters will be fully resurrected, but this is the ONLY time it will happen.

Personally, I found the results hilarious. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about things until then!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:42:07 am by GlyphGryph »

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:28 pm »

You know, I kind of saw this coming. I have a feeling that most of us think that "If I'm going down I'm taking you with me."
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 02:07:08 pm »

indeed, it is sometimes first reaction to fight back when attacked.

BTW you messed up my description after my short retaliation.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:43 am »

The thing is, this round wasn't about winning, it was about reputation, if people know you will always fight they will need to submit. If everyone knows you will always fight then the only reason to fight is to punish them, punishing yourself in the process. I know that I will be fighting, speaking of which, you said 6 players, can the Ankheg insectoids join in?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 11:14:15 am »

Unfortunately, any more players and I'm doing way to much work, since the starting characters could be significantly multiplied each round AND I'm running my first mafia game soon. If this goes well, though, I will be running another, so don't despair!

Speaking of which, the official Round 1 is starting! I'm determining pairings and sending out details right now! ENCOUNTER DETAILS HAVE BEEN SENT!

The first resource being fought over? Territory! You are each wandering through the jungle looking for the perfect home territory to operate from. But there may not be enough territories to go around. Will you offer to split up your prime real estate with others who failed to make a claim? Or will you fight to protect it all? Or will you give up on a territory completely? These questions and more will be answered at the end of Round 1, Day 1.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:45:14 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: [1] 2 3