Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Attendance Ranking Board (Beta), Season 0  (Read 20366 times)

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
The Attendance Ranking Board (Beta), Season 0
« on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:30 am »

As noted in the Karma thread, the old Karma Board is retired.  Instead, it will be replaced by the Attendance Ranking Board.  This thread is to discuss it and, later, host it.

What is it?
This is a rating on the players of Bay 12 and their attendance.

So we're penalized every time we can't finish a game?  I have life!
It's not about always completing a game.  It's about how you leave, along with how often you leave, and how you play in games you do complete will make a difference.

So how does it work?
Each quarter, the games that are played are tracked for attendance issues: negatives such as repeated prodding, frequent substitutions, and flaking (not playing completely without any warning) or positives, such as good activity and willingness to substitute.  Those are then compiled into a Grade (which should make some of the folks still in school groan a little). 

How Permanent are these grades?
Each grade is tracked for the season.  When a new season occurs, the grades are reset.  Your grade for last season and the current season are listed together.  Beyond that, each season's thread will be locked and stored so that people can dig them up if it is that important. 

Overall, though, it is mostly a matter of how you did the past 6 months.

What are the grades and what do they mean?

First, the standard ones:

A+ Rank : Active and Self-motivated. 1 prod max per quarter, No Substitutions and has subbed in a game

A Rank : Solidly Reliable.  1 prod max per quarter, No needed Substitutions

B + Rank : Reliable. 1 prod max per quarter, 2 or less Substitutions

B Rank : Suitably Reliable. 3 prods max per quarter, no more than 1 prod per game.  Substitutes by request only - 2 max

C Rank : Fickle. Only 1 of these: 3+ prods in a quarter / more than 1 prod in a game / more than 2 requested Subs

D Rank : Unreliable. Two or more of these: +3 prods in  a quarter / more than 1 prod in a game / more than 2 sub requests.   

E Rank : Flaker. 1 or more forced Substitutions

With each rank there is also a Minus (i.e. A-).  If you performed an act that warrants a loss of rank but have a suitable reason for it (i.e. a sudden vacation takes you away from 3 games) then you will retain your rank with a Minus.  Special situations can warrant rank changes as well. 

Special Ranks.

N Rank : Novice.  Those that have played less than 5 games and have not done anything to earn a D or lower.  Should be deemed as Reliable. 

S Rank : A specialized rank set above A rank.  Marked for Active playing even in the face of horrible situations.  When the game falls nearly dead, they are the ones still trying to keep things active.  If a game of just these players is run, not a HINT of a prod should appear.  If they are silent, they are either locked away from a computer, or scum talking up the Mafia Chat instead.

F Rank : A specialized rank of Failure.  Only for extreme cases, such as horrible rule violation or flat out real attempts to ruin games.

Note that, on top of the ranks, will be notes to help explain the rank. 

So how are these ranks used?
Hosts are allowed to filter games based on attendance, such as allow C Rank or above.  It will be the host's decision on what their game can handle.

So we're just going to see S Rank Only games now?
We shouldn't.  Most players will be in A, B, or C rank and those people will be reliable for just about any game.  D rank and below may be a major issue, however, but you need to have regularly joined games you couldn't keep up with to do that.

To note:  An N rank can join any game that allows up to A ranks unless the host says specifically otherwise. 

So HOW does one become an S Rank?
The process for becoming an S rank is as follows:

1. Become an A- rank or above for 2 full seasons.
2. Become Nominated by 3 separate players, along with 1 host of one of your games.

Note: no more than one S rank may be among the nominators. 

3. Have more Yeys than Neys in a vote among the current S Ranks

Note that this will be modified if there are no S ranks currently in existance.

Once an S rank, you retain the rank even through resets until you perform actions that will result in you dropping to B or lower rank in any season. 

What are these Grades NOT used for?

-Determining Skill Level (A ranks may be terrible players and beaten regularly by a C rank.  The A rank is just around more often)
-Elitism (no, you don't need to let that S rank badmouth you)
-Punishment for 'bad play' (excluding rule violations)
-establishing a Good Old Boy system (The ranks are made Objectively, with the exception of the S rank which can still be lost in a heartbeat due to the objective parts of the rule)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:20:19 am by dakarian »
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion + Future site of Attendance Ranking system
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:18:31 am »

(erased)

When I said the beta rankings won't be recorded I meant it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:24:27 pm by dakarian »
I KNEW IT!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:21:56 am »

I'd say go with 1. It's close enough to Winter's start, and it's not like it has be exactly seasonal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:36 am »

1. Now.. RIGHT NOW.  It'll mean a small list to start but it'll grow very quickly from there.

Because as your okay with any of them why not start now :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »

One is fine.  Plus I got my replacement sorted :P.

Alsark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »

I like this idea. It's good to know how dedicated players are. I have had many a-rounds as either a GM or a player where a large chunk of my players were lurkers... it really makes the games uninteresting.

"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser the Third. Don't hesitate to call."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:33:26 pm »

I personally am going to ask for starting next New Year.  I don't feel like we're done with hammering out the flaws in the system and thinking this one through, and I... well, to be honest, I don't want to screw over my rank for the next half-year or so by virtue of that blasted vacation.

I think it would also be a good idea to give people time for getting used to the idea.  Some of them are going to need to change their playstyles, and giving them 20 days or so to do that before revamping the system seems like the least we can do.  Remember, players that may have really high karma now can drop quite a bit in rank if they don't clean up their playstyles to adhere to the new system.  Maybe we want them to get that nasty shock... but I think it would be better to give them some time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »

Vector, the worst you'd get is a A- due to that blasted vacation since it's a simple matter of noting such. 

In fact, the 'host's final say' is STILL a major part of the system though I do allow players as well.  If the host and players don't care to mark you against it then you won't even get the minus.

The point is made though.  December I could just run a testrun. Have it keep track but erase it fully from the record later on.  That'll give people some time to work with without any future fear.  The note system and the minus system will be in heavy use as well to allow for forgiveness.
I KNEW IT!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »

So my game falls into neither karma system.  :P

CobaltKobold ** 9 karma 5 played 1 played as replacement 1 hosted.

Wait a minute. I played until death in KotM! :U Do I get a karma point for that?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:09:43 pm »

I'd say go with 1. It's close enough to Winter's start, and it's not like it has be exactly seasonal.

This. But perhaps just games starting after today. As in, no games that have already started (and therefore some people may have been prodded or the other lowering values) would be counted. The Karma Board thread should probably be updated with the ongoing ones. For complete record-keeping (aside from some older games that still haven't been counted up).
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »

Vector, the worst you'd get is a A- due to that blasted vacation since it's a simple matter of noting such. 

The point is made though.  December I could just run a testrun. Have it keep track but erase it fully from the record later on.  That'll give people some time to work with without any future fear.  The note system and the minus system will be in heavy use as well to allow for forgiveness.

Yeah, apologies for obsessing about the vacation.  It's high on my list of things that are making me paranoid.  But aren't vacations supposed to be calming?  No, clearly travel was invented just to drive me nuts.

And yes, I think you should run a testrun.  Give people an idea of how they fit into the new system, so they can change their behavior.  The new anti-prod rules, in particular, are going to take a lot of getting used to.

This. But perhaps just games starting after today. As in, no games that have already started (and therefore some people may have been prodded or the other lowering values) would be counted. The Karma Board thread should probably be updated with the ongoing ones. For complete record-keeping (aside from some older games that still haven't been counted up).

I'd agree to this, too.  It's slightly stricter, but it still works.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:59:42 pm »

As it stands, if I discount any game that's started before today then the Grade system won't have a point: Everyone will be A or S in rank and that won't change until probably January (it'll be a few weeks before a new game starts, and weeks more before it ends and that's only for the first 13 or so people).

I was thinking of giving it a jumpstart via start the count from a few days ago (the last time the Karma Board was updated, which means all games that end at or after Chosen Mafia did).  Then I'll have some data to put up.  Since its a testrun, it won't have a long term effect, and we'll have something to actually look at and play with in the meanwhile.
I KNEW IT!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:23:52 am »

I was thinking of giving it a jumpstart via start the count from a few days ago (the last time the Karma Board was updated, which means all games that end at or after Chosen Mafia did).  Then I'll have some data to put up.  Since its a testrun, it won't have a long term effect, and we'll have something to actually look at and play with in the meanwhile.

As long as your willing to do the work I don't see why not, worst case if something goes wrong it's only the first season of grades effected anyway.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »

There, Beta Version 0.1 of the Ranking System is in place.

I already know one addition for next time: next version will have links to the games the notes are referring.

Also, since this is just a Beta run, I went a little easy on myself.  I grabbed all players that are either currently in a game or was in a game that ended after Chosen Mafia did (with Chosen being the first listed) and put them in, starting as Rank A (Whether newbie or not).  I also checked those games to see if anyone was replaced. 

In any case, with this, now a Host only has to come in here for these reasons:

- A replacement occurs (thus I'll need to know if it was a requested or forced replacement and if someone subbed in for them)

- Proddings of lurkers

- rule infractions.

- newbies

If your game ended smoothly and there's no N ranked players, you won't need to report anything at all.

Sidenote: The S rankers need to get on the ball and start discussing on those nominees.

I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: The Attendance Ranking Board (Beta), Season 0
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:44 am »

Care to fetch our lists of nominations from the last thread?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12