Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: For dinner tonight, I ate dog.  (Read 4048 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For dinner tonight, I ate dog.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »

It's 'cause the name makes it sound like it's made out of zealots.

Also I've never tried it, but need to.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:26 pm »

Veal?

Yeah, it's hated though, as apparantly they keep the calves in conditions that epitomise SUCK such as not being able to move much due to being tied to stakes to keep the meat tender.

Apparantly, i've never been to a farm for Veal, so meh.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51:05 pm »

Oh! I mixed it up with venison. What a silly mistake.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »

Ah, i thought you might have done, but i dislike questioning such things, as sometimes i get it wrong, and people decide i must be a massive retard and begin to treat me as such.

But i guess that's just how my life goes...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 05:40:54 am »

Victoria Market sells sheep brain, but I've never been a fan of foods with a texture like that.
Do yourself a favour and buy some. Coat them in eggs and bread crumbs, fry for a bit, serve with lemon wedges. It's really really great. Well, at least cow and pig brains are, dunno about sheep.

Anyway, weirdest thing I've eaten is pig eyeballs. They didn't taste all that good, but not terrible either. The worst part is how creepy it is when you lift a fork towards you and the eye on the fork is looking straight at you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:12 pm »

I say this with a straight face as well. One of my co-workers invited me out to a restaurant for Bosintang (보신탕) or "invigorating soup" if you will, which one of the ingredients is dog meat. While technically illegal for dog meat to be sold in South Korea there are still quite a few places which do sell it. In fact the one I went to is right next to my school.

And it was that which I ate tonight. And it was, well, gamey. Like rabbit or duck, but not as good as duck I think. Except for the dog meat the soup was actually pretty good. But not something I would have again.

Marlowe? Is that you? How many South Korean teachers could be on this forum?

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 03:32:36 pm »

I live in Alabama, where you can find all sorts of strange foods that are considered normal here. My dad really likes pork brains, which come in cans, and there are also jars of pickled pig's feet. I have tried neither of these, but I really really like alligator. We get it from a restaurant that serves it with some really awesome orange Cajun sauce.

Around here, pork brains are more common than non-iced tea.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 05:45:20 pm »

Do yourself a favour and buy some. Coat them in eggs and bread crumbs, fry for a bit, serve with lemon wedges. It's really really great. Well, at least cow and pig brains are, dunno about sheep.

Do you get those canned or fresh from the butcher?

Brains are probably the only organ meat I'd be squeamish about trying.  It just seems deeply wrong for reasons I admit aren't rational.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »

Brains are probably the only organ meat I'd be squeamish about trying.  It just seems deeply wrong for reasons I admit aren't rational.

There are rational reasons to avoid brain. While rare, nervous tissue is the most common source of prion diseases.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »

Unfortunately, the brains come in a ziplock fresh plastic container, and I always view those with suspicion.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 06:14:38 am »

Marlowe? Is that you? How many South Korean teachers could be on this forum?

Um, no. I'm Michael. There are over 17,000 foreign english teachers in South Korea, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who visits this forum.

Now I just have to see if I can handle live octopus!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:12 am »

Do you get those canned or fresh from the butcher?

Fresh, of course. I take it the canned ones have been pickled, which I think would just ruin the taste.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »

I'd never eat octopus. They're too... intelligent.

Now squid, I could eat without a twinge of conscience. Not because they're not as intelligent as octopi, but because they're bastards.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 01:48:38 am »

I had donkey meat once.  They served it cold in thin slices, with fried mint leaves on the side; not bad, lot like roast beef.  I'd decided I wanted to try it ever since I saw "Sweet Ass Meat" advertised in another restaurant earlier on the trip and vainly struggled to explain how hilarious that was to our native Chinese companions.

The next day I saw one of them eat a whole chicken uterus, complete with attached embryonic eggs of assorted sizes.  He plucked it from a bowl of whole chicken soup on a dare.  For the westerners, the dare was because it was gross; for the Chinese it was because traditionally that particular morsel is recommended for infertile women (or something like that, I don't speak Mandarin so I got all my info second-hand).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »

I'd never eat octopus. They're too... intelligent.

Now squid, I could eat without a twinge of conscience. Not because they're not as intelligent as octopi, but because they're bastards.
The structure of the squids eye is unusually similar to ours for something that isn't related to us.
How's it taste?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4