Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: For dinner tonight, I ate dog.  (Read 4042 times)

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
For dinner tonight, I ate dog.
« on: December 10, 2009, 08:26:44 am »

I say this with a straight face as well. One of my co-workers invited me out to a restaurant for Bosintang (보신탕) or "invigorating soup" if you will, which one of the ingredients is dog meat. While technically illegal for dog meat to be sold in South Korea there are still quite a few places which do sell it. In fact the one I went to is right next to my school.

And it was that which I ate tonight. And it was, well, gamey. Like rabbit or duck, but not as good as duck I think. Except for the dog meat the soup was actually pretty good. But not something I would have again.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: For dinner tonight, I ate dog.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:30:15 am »

I've also tried dog once, and I have to share the same feeling over its taste. Although I was going in expecting it to taste like the chicken blood rice my father made once and the taste seemed somewhat dulled by that expectation. Of course, dog seems to be one of the least strange food of strange foods.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:00 am »

Ah, Koreans. They and the Vietnamese tie for me with best food ever, ever. And then again, we nicknamed the local restaurant 'the unfashionable parts of a cow' restaurant for a reason.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:22:39 am »

I didn't really like dog. Carnivorous animals generally don't taste as good, in my opinion.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:25 am »

Alligator and Ostrich are pretty nice, i had them a couple years ago.

Both red meats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:10:27 am »

I still wish I could find that REALLY bad article on why "Red China" is evil for eating dog.

It is hillarious.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:03:11 pm »

Ilocanos from the Northern Philippines (and, well, Hawaii) eat dog. They say the particular dish they make out of dog keeps 'em warm.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:10:34 pm »

Isn't Hawaii in the US, though?  Where eating dog is illegal?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:14:05 pm »

It's illegal?

What kind of godforsaken country is that?!

Hehe, yeah. The Hawaiian Ilocanos don't eat dog. Sorry, my phrasing was weird.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 07:34:32 pm »

One of my friends ate goat brain in Turkey.

I haven't really eaten anything weird; the countries I've been to eat mostly the same animals as Westerners (middle east, Europe, Japan and Korea) although apparently in Korea they eat dogs
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »

I've had frog legs before.
It was a little disturbing, because frogs have always struck me as cute.  And yet it also (and I know this sounds cliche, but it's true) tasted like chicken.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:38 pm »

Victoria Market sells sheep brain, but I've never been a fan of foods with a texture like that.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »

When I was in Korea, serving with the 2nd ID in Tongducheon, the local "strip" where all the bars catered to americans always had lots of people selling "meat on a stick" to drunk, hungry GI's walking outta the bars late at night, for about .50 cents each.  We all agreed that there was a high probability we ate some dog, and also, that we were to drunk to notice and probably went "YUM!" at the time. 

But honestly, I really miss the dining in Korea.  The food was great.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »

I loved their beef and noodle soup. Could not get enough of it.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »

I'm convinced that half of the so called strange dishes throughout the world were invented primarily to see if they could get white people to eat it.
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4