Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New, Creative Civs  (Read 1977 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New, Creative Civs
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »

I have been looking around on the modding forums for a while and now I want to try it for myself. I am going to add my own custom civ/entity into DF, but it seems that almost everything has been done.

I want to make a whole new civ, one that hasnt been done before, is creative and fits with the theme of DF (dwarvenly and "fun"). Any suggestions as to what civ(s) I should make, what they're like and general things about them.

I promise to upload the files for them when I finish.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New, Creative Civs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

Talking lobsters?
Size 20 speed 3000 stone golems?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »

Haha, if you're new to the whole modding business go slow first :)
Try and add, say, turkeys first.
When you succeed, move on to a creature requiring new tags in the body_default.txt, like... Oh, I know! There's this creature called Snøvsen from a danish childs novel, he were depicted in films even :p Anyways, there's a youtube link to some scenes with him, just ignore the music :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kfi4r66K0

After that, try adding your own/existing creature as a civ.

All I'm trying to say, is that you just don't jump in it and succesfully add new creatures, especially if you wan't them to be unique...
Better to do it now I suppose than in the next version, modding are going to be hardcore!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:12 pm »

Soviet Men Under Red Father

Also known in Europe as the SMURFS.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:49:12 pm »

When you succeed, move on to a creature requiring new tags in the body_default.txt, like... Oh, I know! There's this creature called Snøvsen from a danish childs novel, he were depicted in films even :p Anyways, there's a youtube link to some scenes with him, just ignore the music :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kfi4r66K0

All I'm trying to say, is that you just don't jump in it and succesfully add new creatures, especially if you wan't them to be unique...
Better to do it now I suppose than in the next version, modding are going to be hardcore!

Ive added some animals and plants already. I have pigs, domestic camels, domestic alligators, grapes and potatoes amoung the many weapons I added.

Im pretty confident with my modding abilities, though Ive never made a working civ before.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »

Ive added some animals and plants already. I have pigs, domestic camels, domestic alligators, grapes and potatoes amoung the many weapons I added.

Im pretty confident with my modding abilities, though Ive never made a working civ before.
Seems like you know how to do a creature then :)
A civ isn't as hard as a creature using custom body parts, the ethics are a bit sketchy though, Toady posted in the future fortress thread how they worked, don't have the link since that thread have over 8000 replies, but basically, if your ethic regarding, say, torturing prisoners, were okay if justified, you'd gain 2+ point with other civs having the same ethic, 1+ with the ones having nearly the same, can't remember which one it were for all the different, but something like okay in self defense, 1- if it's over on the other end (impartial, maybe..) and -2 if it's the entirely opposite.

So, if you understood that garbage, a civ can have between -20 and 20 "ethic points" with another civ, the closer to -20 the more likely they are to go to war, the closer to 20 the more likely they are to be at peace, since alliances aren't in the game right now.

Toady posted the entire table regarding this, but I can't find it..
But yeah, that's how it works.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:42:28 pm »

I don't have the link either, but I saved the contents of Toady's post as a text file.  You could use the edit date, which is at the bottom, to search for the post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:41 pm »

Ok, I kinda understand the just of it.

Is it possible to make flying civs? amphibious civs? skeletal/zombie/undead civs?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:08:27 pm »

MAKE A DWARF FORTRESS OF ONLY MADE UP CRAZY ANIMALS. NO DWARVES NO HUMANS!

only...HIPPOS AND FLYING LOBSTERS!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »

Hobbits.  No one ever makes hobbits but they're totally in the cannon.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »

I've never seen a proper Dragon civilization, although I've been meaning to get around to making one. If they had flying, firebreathing, trapavoid, and building destroyer, they might be a pretty impressive late-game threat.

I replaced Kobolds with the thieving buggers. My current fortress has some horrible yet satisfying engravings.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »

I've never seen a proper Dragon civilization, although I've been meaning to get around to making one. If they had flying, firebreathing, trapavoid, and building destroyer, they might be a pretty impressive late-game threat.

I replaced Kobolds with the thieving buggers. My current fortress has some horrible yet satisfying engravings.

WHo needs dragons.

Spoiler: Hippomen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hippos (click to show/hide)

Dragons? Pfft couldn't even get a scratch on these guys.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:25:08 pm »

You might want to look at the Sparkgear 6 thread.  Not dragons, but probably worse.  HFS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One major problem is a bug with sieging fliers.  Sometimes when they arrive, they get stuck in place in the air.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:29:01 am »

Be careful with your civ tags, because if you mix the wrong (or right) tags together, your civ will have access to ANY METAL, which includes adamantine! That's what happened with my civ, at least. I figured out how to fix this, but I enjoy playing with adamantine mining picks.

On the same note, I have yet to find out how to make a civ that uses furniture in a city. Certain tags, when mixed wrong, will also lead to civ collapse.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 01:35:12 am »

On the same note, I have yet to find out how to make a civ that uses furniture in a city. Certain tags, when mixed wrong, will also lead to civ collapse.
I actually struggled and struggled with this, as the same problem was causing them to not make cages, bins, or barrels for trading.  In my case, it stemmed from their worldgen cities lacking access to forests, which in turn could only be harvested if they used above ground farming.  I fixed it by giving them underground farming (they don't need arable land to grow towercaps).
Pages: [1] 2