Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need either a supercomputer or a stock extractor utility.  (Read 2178 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
I need either a supercomputer or a stock extractor utility.
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:16 pm »

Viewing my stone list takes 5 hours.

Per movement of the cursor.

I need either someone with a nuclear supercomputer.  Or I need some sort of utility that allows me to extract the stocks list from my game and view them in a separate file at my leisure.

Does one or another exist somehow?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need either a supercomputer or a stock extractor utility.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:09:57 pm »

Dump the unwanted stone in an atom smasher, chasm, or into magma.

I try to keep less than 10,000 stone laying around at any given time.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:30:44 pm »

Dump the unwanted stone in an atom smasher, chasm, or into magma.

I try to keep less than 10,000 stone laying around at any given time.

I'm doing a mountain audit.  I want to keep every last piece of stone on the map.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »

I'm doing a mountain audit.  I want to keep every last piece of stone on the map.

Then you're pretty much asking for the lag. Even a flat 2x2 embark will have over 100,000 stones in it, enough to bring any computer to its knees.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:54:07 pm »

Then you're pretty much asking for the lag. Even a flat 2x2 embark will have over 100,000 stones in it, enough to bring any computer to its knees.

Hence, why I'm looking for a way to streamline the stone counting without having to PGDN through the stocks list in-game.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:31:01 pm »

Do it "physically" instead of with the stocks screen?

That is: Designate 20x20 stockpile for StoneType1,2,3,... Add more as needed. If you add that to paving-the-sky, you should have plenty of space.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 03:34:34 pm »

Hence, why I'm looking for a way to streamline the stone counting without having to PGDN through the stocks list in-game.

BTW, why in the name of Armok do you want to count the stones anyway? And by hand, nonetheless. It's not like you couldn't find out the number of stones by using some math...

Even a flat 2x2 embark will have over 100,000 stones in it, enough to bring any computer to its knees.
Isn't that funny, that I can run Crysis and other resource hogs without as much as a hiccup in framerate, but a not-even-half-finished ASCII game can make my computer sweat blood and beg for mercy?
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »

Move 100 into the atom smasher at a time, then record how many and of what stones those were. Repeat.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »

BTW, why in the name of Armok do you want to count the stones anyway? And by hand, nonetheless. It's not like you couldn't find out the number of stones by using some math...

The "quickest" way I know is to hit the stocks list, navigate to the stone section, and see the sum of each stone type that comes up.  Not sure what other math can be done aside from that...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:04:34 pm »

A 2x2 region has 4 48x48 sections. 48 * 48 = 2304, so every Z level has 2304 stones. There are a maximum of 15 stone-bearing Z-levels (assuming no soil layers), giving 34560 stones.

If you want to know what percentage of those stones are layer stones vs. cluster or vein stones, that's a different matter...but any numbers you get from such a survey are going to vary from location to location anyway.

Edit: as pointed out by vturtle below, I forgot to multiply by 4 (for the four 48x48 regions), giving an actual number of 138240 stones.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:22:12 pm by Derakon »
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »

A 2x2 region has 4 48x48 sections. 48 * 48 = 2304, so every Z level has 2304 stones. There are a maximum of 15 stone-bearing Z-levels (assuming no soil layers), giving 34560 stones.

If you want to know what percentage of those stones are layer stones vs. cluster or vein stones, that's a different matter...but any numbers you get from such a survey are going to vary from location to location anyway.

You're missing a *4 in there for the 4 regions in a 2x2 embark.  So 138240 is your theoretical maximum.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 04:16:01 pm »

Got to get Legendary Record Keeper somehow.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »

Got to get Legendary Record Keeper somehow.
But you can do that by counting the same one rock eight bajillion times! :|
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 05:25:41 pm »

Edit: as pointed out by vturtle below, I forgot to multiply by 4 (for the four 48x48 regions), giving an actual number of 138240 stones.

Don't forget about the stones along the edge of the map which cannot be mined out. In the 2x2 region example, this would cut the stones down by 5700.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:09 pm »

How much stone do you actually have? I have about 21,200 stone (a bit over a thousand of that is locked away in constructions) in my fortress right now and it lags only like 10, 15 seconds on the stone section. I've had it take a minute or two in other forts, but man, what do you have on your computer that makes it take 5 hours? Thats unusual even for the stone section of the stock screen.

You still have to account for gems, which could be up to 100 per layer, but that is a drop in the bucket in the entire number of all stones.
Pages: [1] 2