Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing as humans  (Read 5088 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as humans
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:29:45 am »

I've heard that you can change the init files to play as a human fortress, but would doing so limit the game? Would their be things you can only do as dwarves? Would goblins still attack you?

What else changes?

Would i be better off pretending that my dwarves were humans?

exactly how to you make it so you embark as humans?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as humans
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:40:28 am »

Humans cannot build trap component weapons.  You may with to edit that in; at the very least, they need to be able to build Enormous Corkscrews for pumps.
Your humans will be unable to wield any weapon class that dwarves cannot.  Off the top of my head, you won't be able to wield bows, whips, or pikes, despite possibly being able to build them.  You will, however, be able to wield weapons too large for dwarves (e.g. two-handed swords, mauls) if they're of a class that dwarves could ordinarily wield.
Your starting equipment will be about the same, IIRC; above ground crops and cloth instead of underground ones, and no steel (although you can make steel objects), but otherwise the same general rule.
Alcohol is not required.  You can still make it (whether to save your people trips to the well, or for cooking abuse use), but water will suffice.
Your people will not adapt to caves if you go underground; no vomit covered entrances to worry about.
You can't extract threads from Adamantine.
You're still going to be at war with goblins by default.

To embark as humans: go to [Dwarf Fortress Folder]/Raw/Objects/entity_default.txt
Place a new line under [ENTITY:PLAINS], specifically, [CIV_CONTROLLABLE].  Also, for corkscrews, add    [trAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW] somewhere in there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:43:04 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:56 am »

You can indeed play as the humans by going into the raw-> object-> entity-> files and removing the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from the dwarves and adding it to the humans. You will still get seiges, ambushes, etc. Everything will be the same. However, I am not 100% sure if you create the right size armor (you can just buy some from the human caravans), because everything you can make is dwarf stuff. You won't be able to equip them with whip, bows, or any weapon that dwarfs can't use. Those are the only drawbacks that I know of. Other than that, you should be able to play a normal human game.

Edit: Crap, ninja'd
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:38 am »

You can indeed play as the humans by going into the raw-> object-> entity-> files and removing the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from the dwarves and adding it to the humans. You will still get seiges, ambushes, etc. Everything will be the same. However, I am not 100% sure if you create the right size armor (you can just buy some from the human caravans), because everything you can make is dwarf stuff. You won't be able to equip them with whip, bows, or any weapon that dwarfs can't use. Those are the only drawbacks that I know of. Other than that, you should be able to play a normal human game.

Edit: Crap, ninja'd

Don't worry, the armor scales properly.  You'll build human sized armor, which will be worn by your human soldiers.  Dwarvern and goblin armor will be "small," while elven armor will be "narrow."
EDIT: I forgot.  You don't have to remove Civ_Controllable from the dwarves, though if you don't, you'll have to do one last thing before you embark.  While still choosing the location for your mighty fortress cute little town, hit tab twice to switch to civ select.  Pick a human civ if one wasn't selected already.  (Their names are quite distinct, and they'll be marked by # instead of Ω on the world map.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:54:21 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:01 am »

Also note that merely adding [CIV_CONTROLABLE] to humans still allows you to play, but dwarven caravans won't come. I think a second human caravan comes instead, but it has been a while before I've seen this. So yes, delete extra tags you don't need.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:27:41 am »

Also, if you want to stay in character playing humans, you'll need to construct your buildings topside, humans don't live underground. Be prepared to build big forts on the surface or a town surrounded by walls. Study castle and medieval town designs, they'll help a lot to build a safe and comfortable city. Don't tunnel underground, use strip-mining (you'll need the stone to build up your town anyway). Use only topside crops and limit the production and consumption of alcohol.

I like to stay true to humans as much as possible, so I use stone only as a building material (I build everything out of limestone and I pave every single inch of the fort), everything else is made of wood and sometimes metal, and I always bury the dead in wooden coffins at the graveyard (I also place pillars as headstones). I restrict the nobles from doing any labor at all, and assign servants to do the dirty work. There are many other things, but I think you can figure it out :)
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »

You can't extract threads from Adamantine
Everything when blank for a second there.

Well while not being able to use adamantium sucks I'm glad i can finaly play as humans in haunted territory....Dwarves can't start with above ground seeds so i usually die before the caravan comes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:32:53 pm »

Do note that you cannot place farms over pebbles and boulder tiles, thus making your aboveground farms somewhat erratic looking. Your best bet is to dig out a ditch into the soil and build farms on that if you want complete farms.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:53:21 pm »

I'm playing a big human fortress right now and will eventually try to put up a decent guide for it on the wiki.

Nobles are a little erratic, and pleasing them can be somewhat difficult without the ability to engrave. Your first season should be spent putting up curtain walls as fast possible, wood or stone, with a drawbridge and mechanics to open/close it. Goblins/Elves will murder you on open ground and forcing the kobold thieves through a narrow pass is absolutely vital.

I'm also trying to find a way to get Dwarven Caravans to arrive. I believe it may have something to do with the Trade Milestone tag, but I haven't tested it.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:54:25 pm »

How could I have never thought about digging a ditch for farms?  It's brilliant!

DooMJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »

Do you have to regen the world if you "switch sides" and/or add the trapcomponents to humans?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:57 pm »

To get dwarves to come, copy the tags with [progress_trigger:blahblahblah] from the human/elf entity to the dwarf entity.

Civ switching does not require regen. Trap components do require a regen.

As for curtain walls, building a wall should be fine if you're only facing goblins. Against faster enemies like orcs (which I fight), you must start by digging a trench around your starters.

I personally like to play a style where part of the fort is underground (the dungeons and catacombs), and the stone dug up is used to built great towers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:06 am »

Ok i added the tab [CIV_CONTROLABLE] to the humans, and pressed tab twice at the embark screen, but it only shows one town, the special lanterns.....Where is the human town?

Yes humans are still alive i see their towns.

I already have a dwarvin fortress running on another world so i dont know if that does anything.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 05:45:21 am »

Well while not being able to use adamantium sucks I'm glad i can finaly play as humans in haunted territory....Dwarves can't start with above ground seeds so i usually die before the caravan comes.

There should be a section in the human's Entity RAWS that shows all the jobs they can do, replace ALL of their jobs with the below list to make them able to do any jobs a dwarf can.

[PERMITTED_JOB:MINER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:CARPENTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:BOWYER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:WOODCUTTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ENGRAVER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MASON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ANIMAL_CARETAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ANIMAL_TRAINER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:HUNTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:TRAPPER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ANIMAL_DISSECTOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:WEAPONSMITH]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ARMORER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:BLACKSMITH]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:METALCRAFTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:GEM_CUTTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:GEM_SETTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:WOODCRAFTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:STONECRAFTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:LEATHERWORKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:BONE_CARVER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:WEAVER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:CLOTHIER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:GLASSMAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:STRAND_EXTRACTOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:FISHERMAN]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:FISH_DISSECTOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:FISH_CLEANER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:CHEESE_MAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MILKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:COOK]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:THRESHER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MILLER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:BUTCHER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:TANNER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:DYER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:PLANTER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:HERBALIST]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:BREWER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:SOAP_MAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:POTASH_MAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:LYE_MAKER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:WOOD_BURNER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MECHANIC]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:SIEGE_ENGINEER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:SIEGE_OPERATOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:PUMP_OPERATOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:CLERK]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ADMINISTRATOR]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:TRADER]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:ARCHITECT]

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

There should be a section in the human's Entity RAWS that shows all the jobs they can do, replace ALL of their jobs with the below list to make them able to do any jobs a dwarf can.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[PERMITTED_JOB:STRAND_EXTRACTOR]
this one in particular.
Pages: [1] 2