Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's your favorite tileset?  (Read 5977 times)

Stopple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's your favorite tileset?
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:12:32 am »

There is an awesome collection of tilesets on the wiki ( http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets ) but there are so many of them it would take forever to try them all out.  What is everyone using?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite tileset?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:40:09 am »

VANILLA! ;D

Though I did grab a square tilset that stuck as close to vanilla as possible once.  Wanted my round megaconstruction to be a god damned circle instead of an ellipse (normally I don't care).

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

I use Mayday's.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:17 pm »

I'm a vanilla fan myself, if only because the way some of the Text in menus gets replaced in some tile sets bothers the heck out of me.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:17 pm »

I use the "Herrbdog, modified by Guybrush" 16x16 tileset, basically it's a version of the vanilla square one which leaves the characters alone and just makes things look a little cleaner.

I too get annoyed when words have random images in them, and I find the full graphics sets I've seen so far (such as the popular, and pretty mayday's one) aren't as easy to read as the normal ascii set.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Narmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »

I'm a vanilla fan myself, if only because the way some of the Text in menus gets replaced in some tile sets bothers the heck out of me.
Use something that changes accented characters to normal characters then. I use this one, and I love it.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »

For the most part i stick with vanilla, but Mayday's would have to be my favorite out of the several tile sets that I have tried or been included with peoples copies of their games or such.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:25:42 pm »

RantingRodent's pack!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:52:33 pm »

I can't stand tilesets with a background to the text, or too many character replacements so names are nearly unreadable (and I don't want to go butchering the game languages to use a graphics set). I'm using the guybrush square 16x16 tileset, with Dystopian Rhetoric dwarves and critters. Originally downloaded this (linked from the wiki) a few months ago, and pretty much immediately realised that it was out of date and updated it to 40d. If someone wants I could upload the updated version?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:54:57 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Stopple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:18 pm »

thanks for the suggestions.. definitely helped me out.  the mayday's is nice, once you can get over some of the text being a bit weird.  I like the fact that tiles are square now instead of rectangular...

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 02:56:45 pm »

I use a slightly modded version of PTTG V.5 :)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 03:14:28 pm »

thanks for the suggestions.. definitely helped me out.  the mayday's is nice, once you can get over some of the text being a bit weird.  I like the fact that tiles are square now instead of rectangular...

The only places I really notice it much are the capital O's, they all look like O's surrounded by a Civ-style Fat Cross, but are still easy to read, Apostophes and Commas are squiggly blocks of blahness, and the "Male" symbol on animals is a leather bag.

The O isn't really a problem for me, it actually looks pretty cool imho, because it looks like caligraphy on names of Dwarves and Forts and Cities and stuff, the Apostophe and Comma thing took some getting used to and aggrevates me TO THIS DAY.

The male symbol being a bag makes me laugh in a twisted way.

(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »

I like the fonts from the Acorn computer. They're on that page somewhere.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:53 pm »

I use vanilla myself.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Malvo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:00 pm »

Actually i have a question relating to mayday's title set...

its the keybidings...it took me quite a quite to get used to all the keys in DF and in mayday's aparently they are diferent....i first noticed that issue wen i tried to check the other levels in my area.

My question is , why are they diferent?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4