Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bonelord Challenge  (Read 1375 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Bonelord Challenge
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:23 am »

I have a simple challenge.

Embark on the coast of an evil/terrifying/etc. ocean.

Everything you make must be made of bone, excluding things that can't be made of bone.

The only weapons allowed are bone crossbows.

Likewise for armor, with bone armor.

The goal is to survive, and set up a skeletal whale hunting platform. The platform must sit above the ocean, and be equipped with crossbow and bolt stockpiles, a barracks, and ballistae.

Any takers?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonelord Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:34:51 am »

One could say, 'any who attempt this challenge are boned.'

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:36:07 am »

Sounds epic, do skeletal whales respawn though?
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:25 am »

I've never seen any aquatic ocean animals spawn. =(

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:12:22 am »

One problem here is that a rather large number of things can't be made of bone, kind of making the challenge feel watered-down.

I mean, what CAN you make from bones, aside from a small number of weapons, armor, and crafts?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:34:34 am »

Crossbow, helm, leggings, greaves, gauntlets, crafts, decorations (and totems, from the skulls). Fey moods can produce bone furniture.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:22:21 am »

I guess that means you have to kill all non-bonecrafter moods, or at least destroy any artifacts that could be made from bone (if they were non-artifacts). Also, skeletal whales do respawn. Specifically, they will definitely spawn from on-land map edges (didn't see any water spawns) where that edge is part of a terrifying ocean biome. So many dead dwarves...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 06:25:28 am »

This would be a better challenge if you included a smelter reaction to change bone into bone lumber.

Then the entire platform could be bone!

And bonemetal!

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:51 am »

Boring challage.
I run a Gobbo civ mod so i always produce and use a boat load of bones.
Try running ur fortress on meat...

And the skills factor is insane when relating to making bone artifacts.
Everybody must have the bonecarver skill and anybody that has a useless skill should be made into a cannonfodder Soldier.
Art is a Blast

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:29:35 am »

Add in bonemetal and bonewood for your non-bone making stuff.  Be sure bonemetal has a 0.5 damage modifier like the real stuff.  Maybe you can also mod skulls to stone you can have skulls for a skull throne.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »

Skeletal Whales do indeed respawn.  In fact, I had the misfortune of locating a site where they spawn in waves of 10 to 20 every season.  That was not fun, but it was Fun.
Sanity is for the weak.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »

Out of curiosity, what would you have to mod to use bone as a building material?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 04:21:06 pm »

Yeah, I have this bug too. It makes it really confusing for me when people say that they routinely die to skeletal whales or whatever, because the 'large ocean creatures can't enter the game map' bug is a confirmed bug on the confirmed bugs list. I wish I knew what makes it not a bug for some people, because I'd really like to try an oceanside fort that actually had sea creatures to play with. :(

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »

Yeah, I have this bug too. It makes it really confusing for me when people say that they routinely die to skeletal whales or whatever, because the 'large ocean creatures can't enter the game map' bug is a confirmed bug on the confirmed bugs list. I wish I knew what makes it not a bug for some people, because I'd really like to try an oceanside fort that actually had sea creatures to play with. :(

Skeletal whales, being skeletons, no longer need to breathe and can spawn on any map edge, instead of just the water.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 06:06:55 pm »

Okay, let me see if I can get bone modded properly.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"
Pages: [1] 2