Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A New Type of Community Fortress  (Read 931 times)

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
A New Type of Community Fortress
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:25:03 pm »

Well, I was thinking...

Why don't we start a fortress where each player has a dwarf, and only that player can give orders to it (through a single player)?

What I mean is...

Say the game just started.

There's me, and Persons A, B, C, D, E, and F.

I'm the Miner, A is an Engraver, B is a Metalsmith, C is a Fisherdwarf, D is a Mason, E is a Farmer, and F is a Carpenter.

I would be playing. Only Person A can tell me what to do with his unit. If Person B wants his room engraved/smoothed, he askes Person A if he can have it. Person A accepts, and then I do the designations.

Any time there are no orders given out, all duties are taken off.

Any and all unclaimed dwarves are, however, free game for me.

This would be one of those live games. Anybody in?

(To all reading the Timetravels fort: I finally got my computer to play DF).

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A New Type of Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »

Nobles weren't enough for ya'? Now you're taking mandates from the peanut gallery?  :P

Its certainly a different concept, and could be interesting.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »

I ran out of nobles.

Let's just say that they got a little...burnt.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:43:42 pm »

I'm too unimaginative to figure how this would pan out, but I'd be willing to participate if someone organized it. I think you could easily make this into a turn-based roleplay with some interesting results, personally, but I'm not sure how many people here would play that. Surely someone, given the amount of forum games on other boards though. I think it would be an interesting experiment :)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:20:46 pm »

I assume the people would tell you to do general things (making crafts and such) until the person wants something specific done.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:28:49 am »

I think one of the problems that may arise from this is that players may want more control over their players and will be independently managing things (where their character is concerned anyway) on their own a lot more, for example someone may want to submit a custom design for the tomb they're building for themself, though the idea could introduce an interesting element of cooperation since noone has to do what they're told to do. I think for this idea to work well the OP may have to upload a new map to the DFMA every post, or at least often. This will allow players to easily see their character's progress in whatever project they're working on and see what other players are up and analyze the fort's needs a little better to without the OP having to fuss around with a bunch of images and cropping. Of course, screens can still supplement storytelling in a big way.

This could also have some RTD elements if you want to go the whole hog, but I might be getting carried away here. Players could pm the OP secret actions ranging from "leave the rat the kitten caught on that jerkass Urist's bed," to "steal that magnificent artifact Cog made the other day" and roll a die to determine an outcome. A few levels could be dedicated to secret projects that wouldn't be uploaded to the DFMA, too.

Feel free to ignore my weird and complicated ideas xP

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:37:29 am »

I'll take an everythingsmith.  ;)
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:09:17 am »

I think one of the problems that may arise from this is that players may want more control over their players and will be independently managing things (where their character is concerned anyway) on their own a lot more, for example someone may want to submit a custom design for the tomb they're building for themself, though the idea could introduce an interesting element of cooperation since noone has to do what they're told to do. I think for this idea to work well the OP may have to upload a new map to the DFMA every post, or at least often. This will allow players to easily see their character's progress in whatever project they're working on and see what other players are up and analyze the fort's needs a little better to without the OP having to fuss around with a bunch of images and cropping. Of course, screens can still supplement storytelling in a big way.

This could also have some RTD elements if you want to go the whole hog, but I might be getting carried away here. Players could pm the OP secret actions ranging from "leave the rat the kitten caught on that jerkass Urist's bed," to "steal that magnificent artifact Cog made the other day" and roll a die to determine an outcome. A few levels could be dedicated to secret projects that wouldn't be uploaded to the DFMA, too.

I was thinking along similar lines. I mean, let's say urist's player wants urist to have all the booze at any cost, he may mandate that his character work towards encasing the other dwarves in magma.  Dwarf Fortress PvP?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:11:13 am by Flying Carcass »

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:53:48 am »

I was thinking along similar lines. I mean, let's say urist's player wants urist to have all the booze at any cost, he may mandate that his character work towards encasing the other dwarves in magma.  Dwarf Fortress PvP?
Yeah, exactly. But, then you'd have more of a competitive environment than a cooperative (or uncooperative) one, it really sucks to lose a dwarf you're attached to. So, I'm not sure any kind of excessively destructive antics between the dwarves would pan out. Dumping magma in someone else's room (when they're not in it, of course) and melting their statues is funny, but I'm not sure lethal combat (or assassination in this case) would work. Well, it could work, but it'd play a bit more like a game of paranoia than dwarf fortress if everyone got too crazy. DF + Paranoia could potentially be pretty awesome, but it'd be too different. A little sabotage (all in good fun) is okay though. The social interactions and stories are probably this idea's strong points, pretty much like an ordinary community fort, just with more player input. Or at least that's the way I see it, don't want to mess with success too much.

EDIT: Okay, a lot more input, but in the long run it'd be roughly the same. People enjoy community forts for the story the most. Assassination seems a little... Too game-like.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:56:30 am by Amalgam »

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:50:15 am »

Well, I was thinking livestream games, but I suppose we could go with this.

One problem: I can't upload to DFMA. My computer crashes practically instantly.

Summoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:34:05 am »

Yea find something that can host live. (Maybe livestream or someting free)
Ahhh A Bunny Carp! Run

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »

If you go through with this, I'd like a carpenter (and glassmaker if on a map with sand, mechanic if not).
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.