Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trader Trouble  (Read 1375 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trader Trouble
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:09 pm »

A caravan from Mozirdobar has arrived.
Their wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site.

"That's odd," I think, "the depot was accessible last time I checked."

So I check D, and sure enough there is a single path leading from the depot to the edge of the map. I've had traders bring caravans before, why would they not be able to this time?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trader Trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:06:17 pm »

Time to deforestate the map. :)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »

They are dwarves, not elves. They do not deserve to die for not bringing caravans.
They are dwarves, not elves. They do not deserve to die for not bringing caravans.

If I say it enough ties I might believe it.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:38:41 pm »

I was having the same problem on a river map.  Watch where the caravans spawn and build a road to it.  There's a bugpost for this as well you might want to add your voice to it.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »

:(

I deliberately built my fortress with only one entrance, the tunnel of which stretches right to the edge of the map. I've had a caravan in successfuly before.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:09:19 pm »

Check to see that any ramps along the way have not lost their supporting walls.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:07:54 pm »

You might have forbidden the material the Trading Depot is made out of. I did this once and it drove me crazy for 5 seasons trying to work out what I had done.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:36 pm »

You might have forbidden the material the Trading Depot is made out of. I did this once and it drove me crazy for 5 seasons trying to work out what I had done.

I did this as well, though with the metal bars that made up my smelter and forges, and again with the stone my workshops were made of. x.x

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:50:18 pm »

No, they brought donkeys. I think what happened is that there's only one path from one certain point on the edge of the map to the depot that's wagon-sized, and they spawned somewhere else. Fairly sure they shouldn't do that, though.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 02:57:14 pm »

Had this happen in my swamp fort. Had to build a road to keep all the damn trees down.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:36:19 pm »

Had this happen in my swamp fort. Had to build a road to keep all the damn trees down.

You need a reason to deforest the map? Pissing off the elves isn't good enough?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 05:31:41 pm »

I often find that I don't need all of the wood from deforesting a map - I always make sure I have access to magma (so I don't need charcoal for smelting), and I generally have plenty of coal to mine out for making steel. The only other times I use wood are for making beds (where 200 is sufficient) and making pearlash for clear glass (which usually isn't in huge quantities - the last time it was, I was constructing the great glass pyramid at Wasprag, and for that I had a huge tower-cap farm). Wooden bolts are usually not necessary, since I get plenty of bones from livestock and from goblins, and soap is pointless, so what else is there to make?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »

A 50 z-level tall fake tree that drops magma on the elven caravans?

Build some 5 tile wide roads out of wood. Usually one is enough but it cant hurt to have more.

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 06:40:30 pm »

Do what real dwarves do. Surround the entire edge of the Map with Magma (works best on flat surface). Leave a small paved walkway open that leads to your fort.

Bonus Points for building the wall holding the Magma on the edge multiple floors high. Put floodgates on as part of the wall throughout the wall. For Fun effect, every 10 spaces on every layer put a floodgate. Connect them all to a single lever at the bottom of your fort. Fill the area outside with Magma.

If your fort falls... pull the lever. Flood your local area with magma. More bonus points if your fort is dug so every tile of it will be touched by magma.

Here's an example. You'll notice he only built it one layer high with no way of flooding the world. But this should give you an idea.

Actually, I'm not sure how he built a wall on the very southern tip of the map there. Can anyone explain that?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 07:07:56 pm »

Those are notwall but retractable bridge turned into wall
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: [1] 2