Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Challenge:Avatar of Armok  (Read 12658 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge:Avatar of Armok
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 09:54:05 am »

It also seems to lack the [liKES_FIGHTING], [INTELLIGENT], [IMMOLATE], [trANCES], [UNDERSWIM]and maybe some [PERSONALITY] and [POWER] tags. And maybe it could do with a paralysing bite attack? And maybe remove [NOEMOTION], so it can rage?

Those will make it actively attack your people, be able to learn (and talk), burn things it's standing on, have martial trances, be unseen when swimming and swim multiple z-levels and have some more details.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:17 am »

Suggestion:

Wait until one with grievous worldgen injuries arrives.

That would be pretty hard considering how strong they are, unless they get attacked by multiple megabeasts and crossbow/bowmen at the same time. Even still, they wouldn't be that damaged.

This gives me another idea. Trap a bunch of other megabeasts, and when it arrives, unleash them upon it and shoot at it with crossbow dwarfs.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 11:57:29 am »

Honestly the biggest problem with this creature isn't so much all the special abilities and huge size; it's the SPEED:0 tag. All those people suggesting that you should make a huge military and bum-rush the Avatar are not realizing that the Avatar moves several hundred times faster than the fastest dwarf in the world. In other words, it has time to make hundreds of melee strikes on each individual dwarf as you try to rush it. You'd get an impressive amount of carnage, but you wouldn't scratch the thing.

No, killing this in a straight-up brawl isn't feasible. In fact, the only ways I can see military being helpful are a) as lures, and b) for marksdwarves once you've managed to trap the Avatar. Even then, I don't think marksdwarves could scratch it; as someone else mentioned, you'd have to break out the ballistae.

I'm actually curious what the wimpiest SPEED:0 monster you could make is that could pose a reasonable challenge to a standard military dwarf.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:21 pm »

Too bad there is no tag that makes it path through rock and dig with its bare hands, at an insane speed.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 02:12:49 pm »

Too bad there is no tag that makes it path through rock and dig with its bare hands, at an insane speed.

Sounds like a [lightsaber] to me.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »

I has done it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Silly you! The Avatar has no [HORN]-tag! You killed an imposter!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:54 pm »

You do realise the -ultimate- challenge would be to take it on in adventure mode...
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:28 pm »

You do realise the -ultimate- challenge would be to take it on in adventure mode...
Are you kidding!? Captain Ironblood couldn't take this thing out alone!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »

What if he had a cabinet with him?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:16 pm »

What if he had a cabinet with him?
Hmm, I'd go with 13 piles of vomit, and call it an Ironblood wins situation.

But then there is Fale SiegeDriven... for bringing about world peace, maybe Ironblood should hang around this polite yet deadly kobold, Armok's going to need flowing blood, so he may send seven or more avatars to her doorsteps.

But then there is her child, but Armok likes him too much, shed the blood of about three ( ? ) armies, and made the most universial expression in the universe, and this allowed armok to kill other gods with ease.Hmm, I'dd choose the first option, no one can survive lava bomb runs, nor survive more than 100 bolts in rapid succession.[/s]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:02:21 pm by Foa »

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 04:47:23 am »

Honestly the biggest problem with this creature isn't so much all the special abilities and huge size; it's the SPEED:0 tag. All those people suggesting that you should make a huge military and bum-rush the Avatar are not realizing that the Avatar moves several hundred times faster than the fastest dwarf in the world. In other words, it has time to make hundreds of melee strikes on each individual dwarf as you try to rush it. You'd get an impressive amount of carnage, but you wouldn't scratch the thing...

Thankyou. I was waiting until someone said that...

Seriously, however. This creature is so fast that it could dodge your crossbow bolts by moving to the left. In fact... I don't know how fast bolts travel, but it is possible that the Avatar could dodge the bolt, run up to the marksdwarf, kill him, immolate him, destory all dwarves in a 10 square radius, and burn your booze ALL BEFORE THE BOLT REACHES WHERE THE AVATAR WAS WAS ORIGINALLY!!

Dwarves have speed 1000 (I think... I think that is the default speed). The Avatar moves over 500 times faster than a dwarf!! (If understand speed mechanics)

Does it move slower while swimming?? Does it swim? Or does it boil water away??

[Edit] The wiki says that this Avatar will ONLY move a mere 10 times faster than a green dwarf, or around 7 times faster than a experianced dwarf.... Speed might not be that much of a problem...[/Edit]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:49:31 am by digitCruncher »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 05:08:28 am »

It also seems to lack the [liKES_FIGHTING], [INTELLIGENT], [IMMOLATE], [trANCES], [UNDERSWIM]and maybe some [PERSONALITY] and [POWER] tags. And maybe it could do with a paralysing bite attack? And maybe remove [NOEMOTION], so it can rage?

[INTELLIGENT] would likely make it less aggressive if anything. [POWER] isn't necessary unless you want it leading civs.

However, giving it [PERSONALITY:ANGER:100:100:100] and taking away [NOEMOTION] is a great idea.

Also, [trANCES] to make it actually unkillable in combat, even if you could assemble an army large enough.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 06:58:38 am »

*flashbacks to dungeon level 100 in Angband*

Brrr... brrrr....
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 07:14:30 am »

[INTELLIGENT] would likely make it less aggressive if anything. [POWER] isn't necessary unless you want it leading civs.

However, giving it [PERSONALITY:ANGER:100:100:100] and taking away [NOEMOTION] is a great idea.

Also, [trANCES] to make it actually unkillable in combat, even if you could assemble an army large enough.

Scrap the [INTELLIGENT] and add [CAN_LEARN] (maybe [CAN_TALK], but just for flavour);
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:30 am »

I like how no one's actually attempted to kill it yet.

Edit: Hmmm. I just replaced a captured hydra with an avatar (from the OP) in a old fort and unleashed it on a force of hastily assembled conscripts.

The 110 orc bumrush didn't work, although only two of them were champions, their damblock had earlier been nerfed to 0, none of them had more than chain armor and only ten had weapons, and [trance] wasn't active (which it would be for dwarves).

The carnage was transcendentally beautiful though. Pretty much anything the avatar touched fell apart into its constituent limbs. I need to build a glass city with tall towers, and unleash one into the middle of it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:29:18 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7