Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Challenge:Avatar of Armok  (Read 12661 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge:Avatar of Armok
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 12:31:14 pm »

If you're trying to knock it out rather than kill it (from the cavein itself), that could work. Unless the tags mean that it can't be KO'ed.

[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT][NOTHOUGHT]

Test it one a bronze colossus, it will have almost all of the above

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 12:33:09 pm »

Pave sky, cast obsidian over it, link to support.

Probably the only way to kill it, but can you do it? (might I suggest deleting all of all the other megabeasts so as to increase the chances of this appearing?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 12:46:17 pm »

At that speed it might actually survive even that: destroy the support, then as the obsidian falls smash it's way into your fortress and kill everything inside.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 12:54:25 pm »

Then make it really big so that it would have to go a long way. Cave-ins are basically instantaneous, but even if it escapes the cavein itself, it likely won't escape the dust.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »

It doesn't have [trAPAVAOID], so the easiest way would be a cage trap and subsequent obsidian encasing. Unless, it melts the mechanism the trap's made of. Oh, and it's MUCH slower when it's swimming. I know it'll evaporate water, but what about magma? If it doesn't evaporate, you could use some sort of contraption to ensure a wall of magma of substantial thickness. Then it's just a matter of several legendary crossbowdwarves and masterpiece steel/iron/adamantine/other magma-safe material bolts (or won't they shoot because they can't path?).
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 02:07:38 pm »

It doesn't have [trAPAVAOID], so the easiest way would be a cage trap and subsequent obsidian encasing. Unless, it melts the mechanism the trap's made of. Oh, and it's MUCH slower when it's swimming. I know it'll evaporate water, but what about magma? If it doesn't evaporate, you could use some sort of contraption to ensure a wall of magma of substantial thickness. Then it's just a matter of several legendary crossbowdwarves and masterpiece steel/iron/adamantine/other magma-safe material bolts (or won't they shoot because they can't path?).

You don't need trapavoid if you can melt adamantine by touching it, it is magma immune and I will now fix the speed issue

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »

Cave-ins are instantaneous, so yes, if you can trick it into destroying the support holding the sky up, you can crush it with natural stone walls. As an evolution of that idea, you could try to just wall it in with such a collapse (by dropping a ring of obsidian walls around it), then arrange for magma to be poured onto it while it's temporarily unable to figure out where to go (fliers don't pathfind very well), and then pour water on the magma one level up:
Code: [Select]
Side view:
#_#    ...    ~~~    ~#~   #: Wall   _: Floor
 I  => #@#    #@# => #@#   I: Support   ~: Magma
###    ###    ###    ###   @: Avatar
You'd need exceptionally good timing to catch it before it decides to fly out of the ring. Water never needs to enter the square adjacent to the avatar, so it should be able to convert the magma into obsidian just fine. Once the Avatar is trapped, of course, you just carve a fortification into one of the walls and shoot it to death. It shouldn't breathe / web your dwarves since it has no path to them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 03:34:20 pm »

This isn't a thread about how to kill this beast it is about actually killing the beast and posting a screenshot

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 05:06:35 pm »

Can magma evaporate? And at what temperature if so?
Since magma solves all problems, there must be a way to solve this one!(preferably not the boring cave-in method.. though that might be the only way.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »

I think you people should be focusing less on how to kill this thing and more on how to not piss off Armok :o

Seriously, what you've created is a nigh-omniscient mountain-sized ninja that can teleport absolutely anywhere it can path to - even in the sky or underwater. It feels no pain and no fear, or any weaknesses that a normal living thing might have. It can barely even be considered alive, and yet it's a brutally efficient killer. The only way to kill it is to completely annihilate it's physical form. And it'll set you on fire and then punch you hard enough to make you explode before you even have time to react.

Brb, making a blood sculpture in the visage of Armok (praise be to him).

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 06:30:26 pm »

You don't need to use natural walls. Constructions do crush things to death when they cave in.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 06:36:42 pm »

Edit: nm. didn't see the flier tag.

Hmm... wonder if an atom smasher would work?

Or perhaps trap him in a tall room and have a fort full of archers shoot him from all directions from multiple z levels?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:44:07 pm by Flying Carcass »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »

Edit: nm. didn't see the flier tag.

Hmm... wonder if an atom smasher would work?

Or perhaps trap him in a tall room and have a fort full of archers shoot him from all directions from multiple z levels?
Atom smasher: no. I think it's immune same as HFS. (can't remember what tag does that exactly)

As for the trap... probably would work, given how bad pathing is for fliers, it probably wouldn't even fight back. The problem is getting it in there.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »

The chances of an arrow causing fatal damage to a vital part (upperbody/lowerbody/head) is likely absolutely nil - the damage formula's on the wiki if anyone wants to actually check.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 08:09:16 pm »

Ballistas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7