Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'll probably be shouted at for being a newbie, but I need help with wrestling.  (Read 2351 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, so I've pretty much got adventurer mode down, apart from one thing:wrestling. I don't understand it. I can get my guy to choke enemies to death, and sometimes to break limbs, though I can't seem to find any way of doing it reliably. When I take down somebody then grab them again, options rarely appear to lock them or do anything else. Do I need more skill in wrestling to do certain moves? Please be sympathetic, this is my first time actually posting here.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

To actually command the wrestling moves and such, you should press A (capital a) to A)ttack a nearby enemy, press the space bar to go to the wrestling menu, and then you can select what to do. Grab the throat, put on a chokehold and then choke, grab an item with a free hand and wrestle it away, grab a limb and joint lock it, etc.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the buttons well enough, it's just in that list the commands to do anything other than grab never seem to appear for some reason.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got the buttons well enough, it's just in that list the commands to do anything other than grab never seem to appear for some reason.

First, you grab them, then you go forward to something like a chokehold or jointlock. Only then, will you be able to do something like strangle, take down, or break a joint. Keep in mind that you can only break joints of humanoids.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember that locking onto and breaking joints work only on sentient targets, not on ordinary animals like wolves or alligators.  These you can only strangle or gouge out eyes.

Edit: bah, ninja'd.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:13:09 pm by Hummingbird »
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, I finally realised why nothing was working, it was cause I wasn't grabbing with hands, or in some cases because they weren't empty.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never seen any1 get shouted out for being a newbie on this game/forum.

It's not like your average mmorpg where the only prerequisite to play is working out how to turn your computer on.

Being able to play DF automatically disqualifies any semblance of the usual vet/newbie insults bcos Im pretty sure everyone is glad to see new faces (or beards) in df ><

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

you can lock joints with anything, not just your hands so thats not it. Basically, in order to do joint locks you have to be fighting a humanoid creature (a human, elf, dwarf etc) and grab one of their arms/legs for a joint lock or the head for an eye gouge. After that you'll have the option to lock the joint UNLESS the joint is already broken.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

For an eye gouge on the head you are required to use a free hand, not an arm.  But that's the only thing like that, you can do jointlocks, breaks, and strangles with almost anything, assuming your fighting something that has [JOINT] parts or a throat of course.

I think I even strangled somebody with a greatsword at one point.  Makes me wonder how that worked.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile

If you want to know how to train wrestling, just get into a evil forest and move around until you;re ambushed by an undead something. Take care of everything except one, and then repeatably attack it. It can't die from strangulation, so you can do that forever.
I prefer to do it while it's still able to attack in a pool. Train swimming, shield, armor, and wrestling, all at once!
I did it to a zombie black bear once for two straight days. I got legendary +30 wrestling and named him Fred, zombie friend of Sysice.

I think everybody else has covered everything else but that. Have fun, and remember: the power to gouge and break is too great to use for anything but pure EVIL!!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:52:15 pm by Sysice »
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile

Yeah, once you know how to wrestle, you will really begin to prefer it over the other combat types.

Apart from, you know, the horrible menus.  If there was only one adventure mode change in the next version, I'd want it to be that.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile

Yeah, once you know how to wrestle, you will really begin to prefer it over the other combat types.

Eh. It depends on the enemy.

Quote from: Bricks
Apart from, you know, the horrible menus.  If there was only one adventure mode change in the next version, I'd want it to be that.

Good lord, yes. I'm picturing a three columned table. In the first is a list of available actions: Grab, Throw, Take-down, Lock, Chokehold, Break, Strangle, Pinch, Gouge, Release. So when first engaging an enemy, only Grab will be listed. In the second, a list of your available body parts for the maneuver you've selected. In the third, a list of target areas for the maneuver and body part you've selected.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile

I want functions done with the HANDS near the TOP of the menu. That alone would be so much better.

I actually prefer to use axes over wrestling, most notably in the case of fighting crowds.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I think there are some moves that can't be done on prone enemies.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Like takedowns.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2