Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my 2nd fortress  (Read 1153 times)

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my 2nd fortress
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:25:28 am »

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/Ashendance207.JPG

Any suggestions/comments? It's only my 2nd fortress.

P.S. I LOVE DF.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: my 2nd fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:35:08 am »

Hi Krause!  ;D

I think it looks nice! Your dining room might be a bit small though. I usually keep one table per chair, then make double rows of tables. And then double rows of rows, and so forth... Other then that, looks sweet!

I love DF too!
"It's unpossible!"

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:19 am »

Hum, first thing i notice is that you dont use much z-levels, this strikes me as i use a LOT of z-levels..
usually one z level for each thing, e.g. 1 for beds 1 for workshops 1 for dining.
etc...
(well below ground, above ground its usually multiple z levels for deffense)

The second thing that i notice is that you keep your nobles alive :O.

3rd thing, i didnt really notice your workshops as they are tucked in bottom left in that image.
I usualy have masses of workshops but meh.

In conclusions your style is instresting and the only point i would really make is to use a few more z-levels, aswell as try to get a magma map as wood can be a problem on some maps. and its easier to use magma furnaces and that without having to constantly get wood x_x.
Also definitly make your dining room bigger.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:11:02 am »

Nice fort. However, like silhouette said, I found it odd how few z-levels you used. Not a bad plan, you can keep track of everything easily I assume. I usually use most of the z-levels because that's just how I roll. Very well organized fortress for only being your 2nd, my 2nd fort was barely even able to be called a fort.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:37:09 am »

RE: z-levels

I have about 5 Z-levels below what is shown which are essentially "mines" - endless, mazelike formations of tunnels where i'm harvesting iron ores and gems.

That is an interesting idea to dedicate 1 z-level for each activity - i'll surely consider it next time.

The reason why I have refrained from doing that in the past is because running into pockets of ore and gems, especially early in the history of the fort, trumps any design choices you make. If you want a room a certain size but you are at the edge of a vein of ore or gems, you want to keep digging, while the surface is less bountiful.
Chris Krause

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:44 am »

Tip: mine out all the gems while your digging out your rooms, sure they may look screwed but build walls made out of blocks, perferably from the same material that your room is all round.

This benifits you in the way that blocks are better than normal stone in walls due to it "looking better" and will boost it (not as much as some natural walls engraves).
Also you will get the gems and ores you want.

Also you seem to have some massive rooms... without supports...
Do you get cave ins or have you turned it off?
Or prehaps im just paranoid... lol
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:45:26 am »

It was explained to me that supports are actually FOR caving in your fortress - you can trigger them with a lever to manually collapse sections I think. It was also explained to me that caveins are impossible as long as you have one tile supporting the roof. Caveins only happen with when you completely knock out the z-level below.

I actually built supports in my first fortress... and then someone saw it and LOLed at me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:47:05 am by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:56:26 am »

The old 2D version caved in with big rooms (larger than 6x6), the current version won't cave in as long as there is a least a single block connecting to the rest of the map (including constructed floors and walls). I'm hoping Toady fixes it in an update and everyone's fortress caves in overnight, then your paranoia will be show to be justified :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:23 am »

The old 2D version caved in with big rooms (larger than 6x6), the current version won't cave in as long as there is a least a single block connecting to the rest of the map (including constructed floors and walls). I'm hoping Toady fixes it in an update and everyone's fortress caves in overnight, then your paranoia will be show to be justified :)
oh god so THATS where i got it from.
Funny as ive never played the 2d version :O.
(off topic quesiton while on the topic of the 2d version) Were the maps bigger than the 3d ones?
And yeah cave ins like that would be great to add back in as i always leave a pillar when a tile is 4 tiles away from a wall.
---

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:24:12 am »

(off topic quesiton while on the topic of the 2d version) Were the maps bigger than the 3d ones?

Smaller I think, kind of long and thin but they had all the features in a nice progressive way
river -> cliff face -> underground river (which flooded yearly) -> chasm (which had invasions of evil chasm thingies if you dumped to much) -> magma river (which you could use to 'red line' the chasm -> assorted pits of evil -> adamantine (game ending demon)

Right of the cliffs was always grassland types I think, trees and plants and things, Left is of course the stone you mine into. Sieges and traders always came on map from the right.

I miss the 2d version :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:27:04 am »

lol.

So can you flood the chasm now days or what?
---

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:33:55 am »

Someone said the entrance area was confusing to visualize, so I uploaded some pics of the original site, as well as a stonesense screenshot of the current entrance area:

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/originalsite1.JPG
http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/originalsite2.JPG
http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/newsite.JPG
Chris Krause

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 06:23:20 pm »

An isometric viewer, cool.

Anyway, I found that in the first fort, one learns about survival and how DF works. In the second one gets to know the finer aspects of the game (such as magma) and one tries to do "good". As such in the second fortress you learn all the tricks on how to build a cool and effective fortress.
I don't know what one would do on the third fortress, I'm still on my second :D (despite being on these forums for a couple of months). My second fortress is about 12 years old at the moment.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:44:44 am »

An isometric viewer, cool.

Anyway, I found that in the first fort, one learns about survival and how DF works. In the second one gets to know the finer aspects of the game (such as magma) and one tries to do "good". As such in the second fortress you learn all the tricks on how to build a cool and effective fortress.
I don't know what one would do on the third fortress, I'm still on my second :D (despite being on these forums for a couple of months). My second fortress is about 12 years old at the moment.

12 years? Maybe you are not having enough fun! I always explore new areas of df, I like to experiment with new designs, new surroundings, and that leads to a huge amount of fun.

You should consider that too, since Dwarf Fortress is all about fun! :D
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"