Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: If you haven't read "The Last Question" by Isacc Asimov, you should do so.  (Read 5677 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: If you haven't read "The Last Question" by Isacc Asimov, you should do so.
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18:37 pm »

You wanna die?

Nor really, just that I honestly think I'd enjoy not existing more than being alive right now. I just don't like life enough to live for myself. BUT my friends make it worth it, so I haven't so far.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

Personally, I'd like to live until I get tired of it, not when some damn cellular entropy or capricious act of fate prevents me from going on.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2009, 08:35:33 pm »

I would say that science will find a way to at least prolong life, within my lifetime. The question is if the ability to prolong life gows faster or slower than the rate of aging after effects.

Besides, to counter brain deterioration, couldn't they increase brain growth, if they haven't proven that nonexistant?
Eh?
Eh!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2009, 08:38:13 pm »

They actually recently discovered that brain cells do in fact regenerate.  For the longest time they thought if a neuron died it was dead, but they cut up the brains (Those bloody baboons!) of some terminal cancer patients who were taking a drug that dyed any new cells (to track metastasis and all that), and found that new brain cells had grown.  Not a huge growth, mind you, but enough to say that brain cells do indeed regenerate.
Shoes...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:41 pm »

I read an article that said that they tested mice/rats(same chemical highliting technique) and found that certain things (certain types of mental activity, and blueberries) made the new cells stay, otherwise they would die out within a few weeks. And those findings linked well with how cancer patients, taking medication that inhibits cell growth, had problems thinking and/or remembering at the rate they could acieve at other times.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]