Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Maguindanao Massacre  (Read 3387 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
The Maguindanao Massacre
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:49 pm »

Hey guys, I'm back. I was actually planning to get back in gear a couple of weeks ago, but then... you know what happened.

So. It seems that everytime the Philippines is in the world news, it's because dozens of people just got gunned down or drowned or what-have-you.

The thing is, this time is different. First, it was the single worst political killing that's happened within my lifetime. We're talking about fifty-seven people. All dead. Half of them were women. Some of them were raped and mutilated.

The worst part of it is, I'd met one of them a few times before. The wife of Esmael Mangadatu. I did a little volunteer work with Gawad Kalinga in that area, and let me tell you that Maguindanao is a hellhole. Picture the most grubby, violent patch of inner-city ghetto you can think of. Now strew trash all over the place. Then replace all the concrete with tansan and tin. But that's not the worst of it. There's also the mansions of the politicians, which are immaculate. It pissed me off just to be there, because the people were living in squalor and the politicians were living it up.

I don't even remember her name anymore. But she was one of the most instrumental people in helping GK get a foothold in Buluan, which was where her husband was mayor. And the few times I met her she was always so sincere and heartfelt in wanting to elevate the poor people's condition. And then she got shot to death by a bunch of power-hungry motherfuckers.

To tell the truth, I'm losing hope for this country.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Maguindanao Massacre
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »

Seems odd to me that no one's posted anything yet.  Vester, I don't know virtually nothing about politics in the Philippines.  If it's not too much, could you give a native's introduction to the issue?

That comes off as cold for some reason, but that sounds absolutely terrifying.  As much as Americans bitch about whatever political entitlement they think they're losing, they forget nobody's being gunned down in the street.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »

My God.  How did I not hear of this?  That's . . . just bad.  I really don't see why such a thing didn't get reported (or at least to the extent it deserves).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:53 pm »

I feel you man.  Things acting like that is uncool.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:17 pm »

Seems odd to me that no one's posted anything yet.  Vester, I don't know virtually nothing about politics in the Philippines.  If it's not too much, could you give a native's introduction to the issue?

That comes off as cold for some reason, but that sounds absolutely terrifying.  As much as Americans bitch about whatever political entitlement they think they're losing, they forget nobody's being gunned down in the street.

Be glad to give an intro.

The Philippines is a Republic, in structure similar to the United States. Our constitution is similarly based off yours. Geographically, it's divided into three islands: Luzon, the large northern island where I live, Visayas, where the only convenient travel between regions is plane or ferry, and Mindanao.

Mindanao is a bit of a problem.

See, election violence is common in the Philippines, but only in Mindanao does it ever get really bad. Especially in the ARMM (the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao), where mayors and governors get up to serious shenanigans. Think of the Mafia and you get the picture.

Mindanao is essentially a large feudal island where political feuds get extremely bloody, and can turn on the drop of a hat.

The thing is, the two families involved, the Mangadatu and the Ampatuan clans, have been allies for literally decades as far as I know. When Esmael Mangadatu, who is the mayor of Buluan, which is basically a huge shantytown, decided to file his candidacy, he apparently broke a pact his clan had with the Ampatuans. Normally when something like this happens the pact-breaker or his sons are assassinated. This was just wrong. This crossed the traditional feud boundaries, especially since the Ampatuans also killed all witnesses.

The entire clan is being rounded up and their militia disarmed, since the Philippine Army and the Philippine National Police, which normally don't present a strong front in Mindanao, moved in.

This is coupled with worries that our current President is willing to do anything to extend her term or at least stay in government, which means that she could try to extend the martial law in Maguindanao to the entire country.

My God.  How did I not hear of this?  That's . . . just bad.  I really don't see why such a thing didn't get reported (or at least to the extent it deserves).

It was all over Yahoo! news, I think.

I feel you man.  Things acting like that is uncool.

Thanks Toony.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »

Wow, that's...

Are you alright?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »

I had been wondering what happened a while ago when you vanished... And then I read about this actually...

I got so worried and depressed I was off for a few days, I'm glad you're okay.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »

I'm alright. It happened far in the south, and I haven't been there for a while.

Thanks for caring, guys.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »

I really am out of touch with world events. This is terrifying. I'm glad to hear you're alright, though... I hafta go look into this some more.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:48:13 pm »

It was all over Yahoo! news, I think.

That's why not many people have heard of this; the biggest news coverage is on Yahoo!, and nobody looks at that. Somewhat meant as a joke. Possibly distasteful.

Anyway, Vester. Stay out of that area. Whatever you do, don't look back get hurt.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:51:18 pm »

Vester, this may be a bit of topic but as a gun toting American how are the guns rights over in the Philippines? Sounds like you should own one  :o

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:52:14 pm »

Vester, this may be a bit of topic but as a gun toting American how are the guns rights over in the Philippines? Sounds like you should own one  :o
I approve of this.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:57:01 pm »

I doubt any civilian with a gun is going to much in a political battle. Even if, by some chance, you win a fight, it isn't that simple.

Anyway, yeah... I never heard a whisper of that either. Which is sort of alarming. But yeah, it does seem like issues over in that part of the world make the things Americans worry about look like a joke. Oh, how I love to laugh at those Californians reducing their carbon footprint, while China and India pump out tons of gas without a worry...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 04:37:49 am »

It's some great sin of mine that I had not heard about this sooner. I've lost faith in my country when I heard people referring to Europe as a country. I feel foolish for that in light of this; it doesn't even compare.

As much as Americans bitch about whatever political entitlement they think they're losing, they forget nobody's being gunned down in the street.

This. My thoughts exactly. I can't even form coherent thoughts on the matter right now.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:42:28 am »

Well shit.

All I have to worry about in the UK is the occasional drunken low-life.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4