Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Maguindanao Massacre  (Read 3381 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Maguindanao Massacre
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 07:03:46 pm »

So wait, if they have industrial tools, people can make weapons from the street?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »

No, but they can make 'em from their neighbors' houses.

Maguindanao and Buluan specifically don't really have streets. They have glorified dirt paths, at least until you get to the main city.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

Seems that the Philippines is going through some rough times now.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Seems the feudal atmosphere of the south has lead to the militias being ineffective at preventing Islamic extremism and allowing them(The militias) to abuse the population.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 05:46:11 am »

The problem is that if the militias are disbanded, the military will have to fill the void they leave. Unfortunately, the Army is fighting a two-front war - against Islamic secessionists in the South, and against Communist ("Maoist", supposedly) rebels in the north (the NPA, or the New People's Army). Ironically, the predecessors of the NPA were members of one of the most important guerilla groups during the WWII Japanese Occupation. I guess they just never really stopped fighting.

Also, their leader graduated from the University of the Philippines, as did most of their most important members. So basically, the only really safe place in the Philippines is somewhere in between the North and the South.

Even the political system can be called feudal. The Congressmen are basically beholden to the President, while they serve and play benefactor to their constituents. Although the south (the Mindanao main island) is "feudal" not because of that, but because of the constant fighting.

My country has not had a good time of it, lately.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 12:55:45 pm »

Ouch. Yeah, sounds like things are generally a mess.

Are you in the safe middle area, Vester?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 04:56:52 am »

Yeah. Although my university is in the North.

(It's a hell of a commute.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]