Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Maguindanao Massacre  (Read 3379 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: The Maguindanao Massacre
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:54 am »

Yeah. Normally you only hear about this kind of thing when it's religio-political, but this mess was just pure political. It's insane.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:31 am »

That is really horrible... I really can't say much about it. Although the murderers ought to be shot, I have doubts that it will happen anytime soon.

It is good to have you back Vester, we missed you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 08:28:36 am »

I have read reports on this in my local newspaper, but I always tried to reason that you were just occupied with college stuff so that you would not be in danger. Good to finally hear from you, and to hear that you are unhurt.

Damn, the one night I finally get some proper sleep and this happens.

One would think the international community would be outraged at so many reporters being killed. Even Iran with it's current protests didn't go all-out with taking down opposition and media leaders but merely cut off their lines of communication.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 10:38:33 am »

Wow... this sucks... [/understatement]
I KNEW there was some reason I should fix my lack of a good news source.
I had been wondering what happened a while ago when you vanished... And then I read about this actually...

I got so worried and depressed I was off for a few days, I'm glad you're okay.
So, THAT'S what happened. I missed you. Now check your PMs.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »

I am pleasantly surprised you are alive, Vester :3
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 12:49:11 pm »

Ugh... this is just... awful...

And what makes it even worse is that it was barely covered at all in the national newspaper I read.  Our politicians' pointless, petty squabbles over inheritance tax are apparently more important than this.  Puts political problems we have here in the UK into perspective, it really does.

Anyway, I hope you're ok, Vester.  It's good to see you back.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:06 pm »

I read brief reports on this, but that's about it. Sadly, I'm pretty out of touch with the news lately.

Glad to hear you're ok, Vester!

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 02:16:55 pm »

This is a reason I no longer listen/read the news anymore. Locally, it's nonsense (stupid local crap), nationally, it's further nonsense, and internationally, it's just plain depressing (like the news just stated).

Plus, it seems these days you can't get a legitimate news source to tell the full story on anything anymore, unless, let's say, an entire internet community calls 'bullshit' on an article from witnessing a scene or something, and knowing what is stated is inaccurate, just to sell more papers or something. I just don't have faith in the news anymore; it's getting too unreliable over here in the states. Too much bias and bullshit politics nowadays.

This is the first time I've heard of this. Nothing on the news channels or papers made even a peep about it. None of my RSS feeds have anything on it either. Real shame.

It's nice to know you're okay; been wondering where you've been the whole time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:30:23 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:38 pm »

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about this, and I was wondering where you had gone.  Good to know you're okay.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »

It really infuriates me when political crud like this happens. It to me goes against the whole point of having a government.

Why are those two groups even bothering with political violence anyhow?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »

it's insane how much messed up shit goes on in the world and nobody ever notices. Of course, that's not to say they necessarily should, or even CAN. There is too much to keep track of, much less care deeply about each one.

That's why I just stick to my pet issue which is the military occupation of Palestine...everything else, I just dont' have the emotional capacity to care about because I haven't seen it first hand.

And yeah, this won't get reported in the American media unless it somehow starts to affect Americans. Maybe it'll get a mention on NPR...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 06:31:15 pm »

Our politicians' pointless, petty squabbles over inheritance tax are apparently more important than this.

Political killings and a high inheritance tax together would make it even more unbearable for the family the deceased "left behind"; one day your dad's alive and well, and the next, he got killed because of politics and you have to pay a chunk of his money to the government that the politics were from.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:49 pm »

And yeah, this won't get reported in the American media unless it somehow starts to affect Americans. Maybe it'll get a mention on NPR...
Most B12ers don't read newspapers beyond the headline stories apparently. Still, no excuse for news stations not to report this. Or the internet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »

I managed to read about this, so I guess I'm informed. Though I've given up on following the news entirley since.

Either it's insipid local/national stuff or horrible international stuff.

Either way I end up depressed.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »

Don't worry about it Sof, just think happy thoughts. :)

Our politicians' pointless, petty squabbles over inheritance tax are apparently more important than this.

Political killings and a high inheritance tax together would make it even more unbearable for the family the deceased "left behind"; one day your dad's alive and well, and the next, he got killed because of politics and you have to pay a chunk of his money to the government that the politics were from.

The thing is, yeah, it's normally the patriarch and the men of the rival clan who are targeted. This is why Mangadatu sent his wife and sisters to file his candidacy, because he believed that the Ampatuans wouldn't break the "rule" that women and reporters were not to be touched by political violence.

One would think the international community would be outraged at so many reporters being killed. Even Iran with it's current protests didn't go all-out with taking down opposition and media leaders but merely cut off their lines of communication.

I always assumed that was because everyone's eyes were on Iran. Doing something like this would have caused any and all foreign opinion to plunge.

On the other hand, I suspect that the southern warlords here don't think out their plans before they carry them out. If they did, they would have realized exactly how monstrous the thing they were doing was. Or failing that, at least predicted the government backlash.

It really infuriates me when political crud like this happens. It to me goes against the whole point of having a government.

Why are those two groups even bothering with political violence anyhow?

Mindanao, the southernmost Philippine territory, is far enough from the central government that stuff like this happens a lot. That's the reason it's the base for the Al Qaeda-backed Abu Sayyaf and the local branch of Jemaah Islamiyah. And the other people who aren't terrorists are the local politicians, who take feuds seriously. It doesn't help that they basically have private armies.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4