Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding out ALL land vermin  (Read 1268 times)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
Modding out ALL land vermin
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »

Could someone help me destroy all vermin? I want them modded out of my game. They're such troublemakers. Miasma is enough for me to handle without them. Also, I have no need of cats without vermin, so I can throw them all in a river of magma (my trademark). No vermin, no cats, NO CATSPLOSION!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding out ALL land vermin
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:20 pm »

If you simply want to avoid the catsplosion, my suggestion is to remove cats (erasing the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] line should suffice) and add [VERMINHUNTER] to dwarves.  Do the latter only after the initial caravan has left the map intact, as IIRC vermin-hunting dwarves causes the caravan to lose its brains after it reaches the depot.  They never leave.  Your dwarves, however, will intermittently catch those pesky vermin on their own.  I think they only do so when idle, too, so it doesn't prevent them from working.

It's been a long time since I tried that.  That's how it worked once upon a time, and to the best of my memory.  Your mileage may vary.

Oh, and I only warn about the first caravan because AFAIK immigrants will only ever arrive if at least one caravan returns to the mountainhome.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:08:31 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:11:35 pm »

I did it. I also removed [VERMIN_HATEABLE] and added [NO_WINTER][NO_SPRING][NO_AUTUMN] 'cus I didn't want to see their ugly faces every again.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »

Possible alternative to turning your dwarves into lobotomized anthropomorphic cats:

Find/replace in all creature files:

[VERMIN_HATEABLE]

with

[VERMIN_HATEABLE][IGNITE_POINT:10000]

Hypothesis: teleporting fireballs, except outdoors in winter in cold biomes.  Must test.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:46:15 pm »

That's a shame, really.  Now your dwarves have fewer reasons to tantrum.

By the way, since IIRC cats lack [LARGE_ROAMING], all you'd have to do is remove [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to fix the problem.  Note that this is only true prior to world generation.

If you've already generated a world, the only way to remove cats entirely is to tweak their temperature settings.  There are several effective ways of killing them, too.  You can use [HEATDAM_POINT:1], [COLDDAM_POINT:65534], [MELTING_POINT:1], [BOILING_POINT:1], [IGNITE_POINT:1] (this is dangerous, of course), [FIXED_TEMP:<insert something fatal but not too extreme -- it can be bad for your dwarves if it's too nasty>], or maybe [HOMEOTHERM:<as with FIXED_TEMP>].  I recommend the HEATDAM or COLDDAM options, personally.  The others carry some risk.  Boiling at a low temperature may create clouds of icy death that can annihilate dwarves instantly.  If you add [SEVERONBREAKS] (or whatever it's called -- check the Bronze Colossus in creature_default.txt), the HEATDAM and COLDDAMN methods should lead to exploding cats.  If you use IGNITE and SEVER, you get the infamous nuclear catsplosion.

Hypothesis: teleporting fireballs, except outdoors in winter in cold biomes.  Must test.

Vermin ignore temperature, so this won't work.  Their temp settings can affect other creatures (e.g. fire snakes can burn things), but they remain unaffected.

Also, only traders are lobotomized due to vermin hunting.  At least that's how I remember it working.  Everything worked perfectly except the dwarven caravan refused to leave.  Well, I guess I never paid attention to some of the less common job types (e.g. liaison meetings, the leader/mayor consoling upset dwarves, &c).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:50:30 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:21:07 am »

I thought the vermin hunter tag made them only eat vermin?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:05:10 am »

No, it makes them to be CATS.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:46 am »

If you hate vermin but also hate cats, you could also consider just setting two dwarves to trapper duty and setting a "Capture Live Animal" job to repeat at the kennel. This will cause the trappers to basically become cats, except that vermin will be placed in wooden traps, and left at your animal stockpile.

Where passing dwarves will casually snack on them at their leisure.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:17:09 pm »

Can I just delete the cats and vermin completely?