Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Hammerfight  (Read 16992 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerfight
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:12 pm »

I want to love ice gems, I really do. But every time I try slotting one, it shatters my own weapon more often than anything. :(
Huh? I don't think any gems you slot into your weapons affect you at all. I have the sword with the ice gems already in it, took it from the guy in the solo campaign. I just charge it up in an arena, hold up my shields and waggle the sword in front of the enemy's face for a few seconds. After he's frosty I swing and smash his weapon into chunks.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »

I want to love ice gems, I really do. But every time I try slotting one, it shatters my own weapon more often than anything. :(
Huh? I don't think any gems you slot into your weapons affect you at all. I have the sword with the ice gems already in it, took it from the guy in the solo campaign. I just charge it up in an arena, hold up my shields and waggle the sword in front of the enemy's face for a few seconds. After he's frosty I swing and smash his weapon into chunks.

My own Sword of Arjuna shattered into icy shards on the training block in Hall mode. It was utterly destroyed and I had to recover a backup save. So, yup... apparently a gem can ice the very thing it's slotted into. Word to the wise!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:55 pm »

I plan on icing my double pick chain to pierce armour. ut turning down the DPI changes the WHOLE game.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:48 am »

My own Sword of Arjuna shattered into icy shards on the training block in Hall mode. It was utterly destroyed and I had to recover a backup save. So, yup... apparently a gem can ice the very thing it's slotted into. Word to the wise!

I've also set myself on fire many a time with my fire sword. Get it going hot enough and you simply die, no chance. (Actually that is not quite true, once you start rapidly losing hp from overheating you still have a small chance in the form of also having a life stealing gem in it and totally and utterly slaughtering your opponents for massive life gain constantly until you cool down. But I've only been able to do that a few rare times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:32:01 am by Criptfeind »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37:18 am »

Seriously? Oh man. What am I going to fill my 3rd slot with now? I have a large emerald (ghost) and a small ruby (health). I was planning on putting a small topaz in the last one but I think I'll have to go with an amethyst instead. Only problem with that is the sword rarely comes into contact with shields, so the stun isn't going to charge very often.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 03:42:37 am »

I think the Steam version never got updated to 1.0005 :(

Well, that explains a lot. Any way to update the steam version without owning the game through the humble bundle or independent purchase?

Not sure. Doesn't steam automatically check for modified files? If not, hit me up a PM and I'll send you what you need.

And yeah, just to weigh in, Tribal Wars is a 1.005 thing and you unlock it by picking the very first choice that asks if you want to go train with the tribal guys (as opposed to killing worms in the mine). It's fun, too. Basically like Arena mode, except you're in the wide open sky, and not only hoardes of opponents to fight but also those worm-balloon things that throw sticks of dynamite at you. You start with two allies but they quickly get mushed. Each round awards you a weapon if you haven't already unlocked them all.

I'm currently learning to master the hammer-sword combo. Flails are extremely fun, but I feel they're also quite cheap. It doesn't take any skill to spend the entire round whizzing in circles so that nothing ever gets close to you. With a sword, you actually have to slice and thrust- the latter of which is the most difficult move. But when you pull it off, it's extremely satisfying. :)
My favorite move is the Jackhammer Strike (as I call it). Straight sword and cannon combo. Ram opponent into wall, place tip of sword against opponent, fire cannon.

Swords are generally a more versatile weapon, especially paired with guns. The heavier swords can even double as axes with a good enough swing. But smacking someone with a heavy flail is incredibly satisfying. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 04:31:28 am »

I twiddled my mouse sensitivity setting a wee bit further and shit got real; slo-mode errytime.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2014, 05:51:20 am »

Must try that Jackhammer move. It sounds pretty goddamn awesome. :)

I tried to aquire a stun gem today, but no luck. It seems to be the rarest type by far. What colour is it, even? I don't think I've seen one the entire time I've played.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2014, 08:31:59 am »

I used to play a lot of this. I never really learned how to dual-wield properly or use guns, but I discovered that I was really good with flails. So i got myself a Steel Whip and a ruby gem and proceeded to breeze my way through about 40 arena levels.

Personally, I think flails are the best weapons in the game, once you learn how to use them. Because it's on a chain, it's much more flexible. You can switch directions in a second and hit from angles that would be impossible with any other weapon. The chain also makes it easier to start swinging and make short swings, since the other weapons are more fiddly. That flexibility combined with the power it has, means you can pull off some crazy stunts with it. The arena I was fighting in was guaranteed to get wrecked, as I smashed riders into walls, smashed them through the walls, smashed them into other riders, and even caught their bombs (hated them) and threw them back into their faces. I could never do any of that with the other weapons, and I always thought they were too fiddly. Also, there's nothing more satisfying than smashing someone into the wall so hard they die instantly. I would recommend turning down the sensitivity, if you want to do that.

Dual-wielding swords is kinda badass, though, and I kinda like the jackhammer move. Hadn't thought of using guns like that.

I might install it again, it was really fun.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:28 am »

I lost a fair few hours to this game again. I have to say I really enjoy the arena, but I really don't want to be bothered to do the Grim Hunt just to acquire gems. I'm working through the single-player experience, but I find it frustrating that there are so many levels where you're thrown into 'there's really only one solution to this level, good luck finding it while a million bees are swarming your face. Oh, and some of them explode if you tap them wrong.'

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2014, 09:33:09 am »

The explosive bees have a large, glowing section. You kill them by striking their head/body without touching the explosive bit.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2014, 10:02:44 am »

...This game have exploding bees?
._.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:31 am »

I think they're closer to wasps or hornets, but yes! Yes it does!
It's FEF, not FEOF

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2014, 10:14:15 am »

Yes, and you have to be really precise to kill them without them exploding (cut off their head). Good luck doing that with a flail.

Edit: Replaying the campaign. Damn those slave fights are fun. I especially like the one where you're chained to another rider, I keep using him as a flail.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:17:03 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2014, 10:38:23 am »

...This game have exploding bees?

Yes. And they will kill you if you aren't covered in imperial armor. Will still severely hurt you even if you destroy them via flail. Being next to an exploding one is not recommended.

This is so bees have a chance at all to be a threat. Otherwise bee encounters would consist of whirlwinding in the middle of the screen until you win. They also are very ominous/atmospheric in the dark scenarios where they first show up. Sort of like the bee-things/sophits illumination source, and they don't feel shoe-horned.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:45:01 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7