Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?  (Read 7068 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

I don’t know if this has been discussed before, however I’ll post it anyways.

As we all know, you can dig deep enough to see hellish creatures if you break through the mithril veins.  Wouldn’t it be fun if you built a tower high enough that sometimes you could break through the clouds and see either heavenly gates and beings, or maybe a castle a-la Jack and the Beanstalk.  You could do different things depending on the pantheon and world gen creation.

What do you guys think?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »

Hmm... nice. I'd like there to be something far above as well as far below, but I'm not sure how to go about it. There's no building material in the sky, so the only real stuff up there would either be divine (go up there and kill a couple gods) or other dwarf/elf/goblin platforms used to make a giant city in the sky.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

I like the idea.  Maybe the materials could have a celestial feel to them, like shiny platforms (stars) that all the features rest upon.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:09:52 pm »

i like the stars idea!  maybe we could use tangible clouds, or floating rock/wood.  There are many fantasy concepts there.   ;D

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »

This is a cloudpuff amulet.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  The object is encircled with rings of stardust and menaces with spikes of rain.

It's a great idea, but how do you hide these things?  How do you hint to the player that there's something worth finding up there?  Exploring the skies is much more difficult than exploring the ground, since you need to build your way into it.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »

Flying on giant eagle mounts of course? Why don't you think before you post?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »

(I love that cloudpuff amulet!!!  Also eagle mounts!)

I think that you could go about that in a number of ways: 

Legends should talk about dieties and cloud/floating nations/unusual visible sky features.

NPC's can know about it and talk about it in Adventure Mode, or you could have merchants make passing comment about the "strange yet beautiful floating castle above your fortress."

There should be some hint when there is something above your fortress, like benign creatures that can fly between the two places, maybe even pests like "Celestial Firefly."

Also it would make sense that you couldn't see above a certain point because it's too far for dwarves to see.  Maybe you could build telescopes?

Additionally there could be occasional stairways or ladders to the sky (or even trees or beanstalks) that could indicate said sky feature, as well as allow Adventure Mode access.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »

Additionally there could be occasional stairways or ladders to the sky (or even trees or beanstalks) that could indicate said sky feature, as well as allow Adventure Mode access.

How about beanstalks tethering floating landmasses to the ground. Both unclimbable and indestructible, but you can build rope so that your dwarves can climb slowly up. Or possibly just a climbing SKILL. Miner, Rangers, Masons, Woodcutters, Woodcrafters, Crafters, AND CLIMBERS!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:48:46 pm »

Or if the beanstalk is big enough you could carve out the middle and build a staircase up somehow.  Dwarves should know how to do such things!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:01 pm »

Well, if its able to reach the sky without any other support, it would have to be as thick or thicker than a Sequoia tree, so, yea internal staircases would definetly be doable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:17:32 pm »

Goodness, huge post comming soon...

Anyhow ONE way is to build off of large mountains and other natural structures.

-------------------

WARNING: Fragmented Thought Patterns up ahead. Discontinued thoughts as well. Also pick and chose what you like.

I always liked the idea of floating lands in Dwarf Fortress, though I don’t think it should be as numerous as the underground as become. While a lot of people are mentioning things like Jack and the Beanstalk I’d personally would think Mount Olympus would be more appropriate. A mountain so tall you basically walk right into the heavens from there.

In fact having these spawn near or ontop of mountains only needing minor alterations to become climbable is appropriate.

The question is however is what exactly populates these locations?

Assuming we are going with dietetic explanations we hit the problem with forcing gods to be material beings.

Though that doesn’t go to say that these things cannot have gods, not all dietetic beings need to have a grand scope and some could quite easily be like the Titan is, in fact Titans easily could be rewritten as gods onto themselves without changing anything.

They don’t have to be hidden, in fact these locations could be obvious to everyone but require too much of an investment to attempt as well as being highly dangerous.

Anyhow so going with everyone ideas, this is what I sort of got for a Celestial Land:

Synopsis:
The Celestial lands are situated far beyond mortal reach on top of the clouds and floating islands created by their hands. Each Celestial land is the ultimate expression of a gods personality and power, it is in essence a physical manifestation of their Ego, a mirror. Divine energies run freely in these locations and mortals shouldn’t dwell in these locations for too long or else they too may become just part of the scenery.

These lands do not necessarily need to have a connection with a god in order to exist, but in order for it not to simply become a lifeless barren it at least needs to have some sort of connection to creative and primal energies.

Layout:
There are Five tiers of these celestial locations and each one is marked by its shared nature to its creator.

-1st  Tier: Fragmented Lands: These locations are not celestial lands in it of itself but rather fragments often containing little or no divine spark of their once heavenly groundskeepers. These places are often devoid of even the most primitive life but that which remains has already proven their ability to survive in this dead land.

Unlike the other tiers Fragmented lands do not need to be connected to any of the higher tiers.

-2nd Tier: Borderlands: The Outer rim of influence outside the direct power of the dietetic energies. It isn’t know if the creatures of these lands were either born somewhat free and flee the god’s influence, if they lost their connection over time, or if it is simply used as stock. While the direct servants of the gods do not generally travel to these locations, they are often the homes of servants who fell out of favour of the god who spawned them.

Deceased Mortals are often seen in these locations.

-3rd Tier: Hinterlands: The gods power is like the rays from the sun in this location. Servants and honoured deceased mortals life here.

-4th Tier: Throne: While relatively small those within this location feel the overwhelming influence of the deity. This location amplifies the deities influence and those who tread upon if may find themselves transformed by the energies. Children and associated demigods live in this location and only the most respected servants tend to its care. Harm to this location can affect a gods ability to influence mortals and as such it is often protected.

-5th Tier: Ascendancy: While not part of the floating lands parse,  It goes without saying that these locations connection to celestial is so powerful that creatures can enter and exist the lands of the gods themselves allowing even mortals to ascend. If a location is godless then ascending here may allow the mortal, should they keep their bearings, to take control and become a god onto themselves.

Materials:

-Floating Rocks and metal.
-Essence of Creation: Often the greatest treasures these locations bestow upon brave travelers are the essence of creation itself. While water, trees, plants, and animals are physical constructs upon the world, in these locations these concepts take primal form and are capable of being harvested for great works.
-Celestial Materials: Rarely do the heavenly bodies bless the earth with their embrace. While one could wait for a star and hope they are fortuitous enough to be the first to collect it, or they could travel to these locations and carve them out of the sky itself.
-Godly Works: The materials of mortals are flawed and inherently weak. The work of the gods however are powerful.

Risks: While indeed these places represent risks onto themselves the real danger for those capable of bypassing the danger may come from their greed itself. While harvesting the materials required for the land to remain afloat have more immediate consequences, the taking of the heavens itself can have a wide scope of consequences often throwing entire kingdoms into disarray. As well these are few ways to protect mortals from the influence of these substances, it isn’t in the best interest for someone to be in contact with many of these materials.

Ohh well, any longer and people are going to ignore my post.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:36:47 pm by Neonivek »

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:38:44 pm »

OOooh! I can just imagine sending my dwarves out when... WHAM, they get thrown off the whole damn thing by a floating rock or metal!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:42 pm »

Wow.

I am not sure how well this blends with DWARF fortress.... but you know...  Maybe we should just throw out our preconceived notions of dwarves that stay underground, maybe they would actually want to visit these places..

But still the wow factor of this done right can not be understated.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 12:04:56 am »

Wow.

I am not sure how well this blends with DWARF fortress.... but you know...  Maybe we should just throw out our preconceived notions of dwarves that stay underground, maybe they would actually want to visit these places..

But still the wow factor of this done right can not be understated.

Tis not just 'bout dwarves.
If i recall correctly its planned that more than dwarves will be playable in fortress mode or somethin...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Whitney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:11:49 am »

Really, it's just one of those "I don't think that is necessary for this game."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4